Jerry Hughes - What do you think?

BuffaloBill

Jerry Hughes may well be the most talented player on the defense. He also has a maddening propensity for ill-timed and stupid penalties. Should the coaching staff just let him play? Should he be benched for a game(s)? Should the team take some other sort of action with him? Is he accountable for his actions? Does his play outweigh the penalties?

What do you think?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This year he has been more invisible than ever. ( The whole D-line has been ) But boy oh boy does one half change perception. HE WAS A GAME CHANGER YESTERDAY.

BUT: Penalties are part of the game and this guy takes the dumbest penalties ever.

Jerry Hughes may well be the most talented player on the defense. He also has a maddening propensity for ill-timed and stupid penalties. Should the coaching staff just let him play? Should he be benched for a game(s)? Should the team take some other sort of action with him? Is he accountable for his actions? Does his play outweigh the penalties?

What do you think?

No, that's ridiculous

jerry hughes isn't even in the top 3 of defensive lineman on his own team.

he will get you beat with his mental lapses. he has twice as many drive extending personal fouls (6) as sacks (3).

his $10.5 salary cap hit for the next three years is much too high.

he will get you beat with his mental lapses. he has twice as many drive extending personal fouls (6) as sacks (3).

and he pretty much dominated the 2nd half and made a huge play that turned the game around........but yes, let's sit him down

I think he is having a nice season. I wish he wasn't so aggressive after the play ends sometimes. Also, there were a couple instances where he was robbed of a sack due to a penalty on a play. I think he fits in with Rex's defense, much like he did under Pettine's defense. With Hughes, you take the good with the bad. The good is really good, and the bad can be easily fixed.

What do you think?

I'll take a personal foul every game if it comes along with 2 sacks and a fumble recovery.

Edited by dorquemada

Hopefully he can start to contain himself on the penalties, cause the dude is an absolute force.

He drew at least one holding call, and there should have been several more.

We all saw the hold on the final Jags play too, the guy is unstoppable at times.

How many more sacks would he have if they were not holding him all day, and that,

and the refs apparently targeting him, is why he gets so frustrated.

He did have that sack strip of Brady earlier as well.

Except his mental lapses have never got us beat, but you can make a much stronger argument that his play has been the single most important factor to win a number of games. There are very few defensive lineman who have that kind of impact in the league.

I think coaches need to keep working with him to clean up the penalties, but he is by far one of our best defensive players. If you don't see that, I don't think I can help you. He is as responsible as any single player for a win yesterday. Lot of fans wish he wouldn't be so good so they could be right about him being cut or benched. In the meantime, he proves you wrong again and again. My general thoughts on people who have that ax to grind are something like this:

91sn32Q.jpg

Every good D has (or should have) that one player who is good for 1 personal foul penalty a game. The guy that plays on the edge of insanity, and sometimes crosses over it.

If it werent for all the other stupid penalties, and non-penalties, that get called on us this wouldnt be such a big deal.

I understand how and why it can be frustrating sometimes, but his regular play is worth it.

I had a whole row of jabronies in front of me yesterday calling for him to be cut... until the 2nd half happened. Then it was immediately "I always liked that Jerry Hughes, he should be on the field every play!"

He's this year's Brandon Spikes. And if he was playing in the same scheme and had the sexy sack numbers, no one would have much of a problem with it.

EDIT: My ONLY problem with his play is that he didnt make his personal foul COUNT. If you are going to hit the QB 5 yards out of bounds and draw a flag, then at least take out his knee. :devil:

Edited by DrDareustein

Every good D has (or should have) that one player who is good for 1 personal foul penalty a game. The guy that plays on the edge of insanity, and sometimes crosses over it.

If it werent for all the other stupid penalties, and non-penalties, that get called on us this wouldnt be such a big deal.

I understand how and why it can be frustrating sometimes, but his regular play is worth it.

I had a whole row of jabronies in front of me yesterday calling for him to be cut... until the 2nd half happened. Then it was immediately "I always liked that Jerry Hughes, he should be on the field every play!"

He's this year's Brandon Spikes. And if he was playing in the same scheme and had the sexy sack numbers, no one would have much of a problem with it.

Good post. I think people who have played the game kind of get that. You never want to see personal fouls, but you like the edge that player brings. It's a fine line, but Hughes is clearly on the side of "hell yeah" and it's not even close.

Those "fans" should lose their opinion license. They're probably the same ones who still want to see EJ start because he's such a darn nice fella. Some folks would rather cheer for lovable losers than the type of play that you need to win.

Edited by DC Greg

Good post. I think people who have played the game kind of get that. You never want to see personal fouls, but you like the edge that player brings. It's a fine line, but Hughes is clearly on the side of "hell yeah" and it's not even close.

Those "fans" should lose their opinion license. They're probably the same ones who still want to see EJ start because he's such a darn nice fella. Some folks would rather cheer for lovable losers than the type of play that you need to win.

Thanks.

To go one step further, I'd say the Special Teams penalties are WAY WORSE and more unforgivable. They have to stop, or Crossman has to go asap.