Sammy Watkins...

Codyny13

Rex said in his WGR interview that the Bills have to find ways to utilize Sammy more often given that he's such a unique talent.

@mikerodak

Rex Ryan to WGR 550 on Sammy Watkins' lack of targets: "We got to really look at that. He's too good of a play... http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0460901226066747345-4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex said in his WGR interview that the Bills have to find ways to utilize Sammy more often given that he's such a unique talent.

@mikerodak

Rex Ryan to WGR 550 on Sammy Watkins' lack of targets: "We got to really look at that. He's too good of a play... http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0460901226066747345-4

Really??

How hard is it to walk over to Roman during a game and say "get Sammy more involved"?

CBF

The problem lies with Roman mostly. I watched his teams struggle in SF with his tendencies. When his team runs the ball well, which is frequently-not always, the offense looks great. When he needs to throw the ball consistently ,he can't. He is a RB guy, not a WR guy. Belichick is a bad matchup for this guy. He'll kill a guy who has the kind of tendencies Roman has. His games vs Seattle in recent years were extremely ugly, he can't get plays to get his Wr involved. The Qb ends up as the fall guy.

Edited by The Thurmanator

The problem lies with Roman mostly. I watched his teams struggle in SF with his tendencies. When his team runs the ball well, which is frequently-not always, the offense looks great. When he needs to throw the ball consistently ,he can't. He is a RB guy, not a WR guy. Belichick is a bad matchup for this guy. He'll kill a guy who has the kind of tendencies Roman has. His games vs Seattle in recent years were extremely ugly, he can't get plays to get his Wr involved. The Qb ends up as the fall guy.

This sounds about right. Maybe this is why there was a rumor that Roman wanted Cassel more than Taylor. It might have fit his offense a little better with a prime running back, and a QB who can make the short quick passes that Cassel can. (I am glad he lost on that) Although I don't think Taylor has chemistry with Watkins for some reason either.

Although I don't think Taylor has chemistry with Watkins for some reason either.

My guess is that its because he is risk averse. He sees Watkins bracketed and doesnt want to take a chance. The same thing we saw from EJ we are seeing with TT. He needs guys to be wide open before he trusts the throw.

So what?

There are lots of guys that make nice one hand grabs throughout the league. Lots of great catches each week.

No one is questioning his skills (though I'm starting to wonder how good he is at positioning himself for a catch, or at fighting for a ball). The

question is about where is his production.

And the answer to your production questions is exactly what you said " so what" to. It's not a question of talent ( and yes, other talented WRs play in the league) the evidence is right there. You only need a sliver of space and he can make a play on it. This is a question of grossly inferior QB play,and that means inferior even to journeyman types in the NFL. Tyrod Taylor is either so aware of not risking an INT or not trusting what he is seeing that he will take the underneath throw to say Woods settling down under the coverage. That's exactly what the opposing D wants instead of taking the top off the D. Kevin Gilbrides analysis was eye opening. Though the " experts" on this board will dismiss it in hand as it doesn't fit their " agenda". Why listen to a guy that actually coached in the NFL? He clearly doesn't know what he's seeing anyway. Most throws to Watkins are so late they end up short of the target. Or he decides pre snap and it's way overthrown. It's rarely in rhythm with the route . It does not need to be perfect, as Gilbride likes. Just put it where he can go get it. Lots of QBs do that in this league. I see a guy who should be getting thrown to 10-12 times minimum. Bills fans are so conditioned to bad QB play, they think the problem lies with their skill guys. The fact is good skill guys are way easier to find ( as you point out theyre all over the league) than good QBs . I think the answer here is obvious when watching the Bills O.

And the answer to your production questions is exactly what you said " so what" to. It's not a question of talent ( and yes, other talented WRs play in the league) the evidence is right there. You only need a sliver of space and he can make a play on it. .... I think the answer here is obvious when watching the Bills O.

:beer: Well said and you're right.

No the excuse is he wasn't targeted with the football.

He doesn't want to offer his own feelings or thoughts on the matter, he just wants to vent. Which is a shame, there should be more actual discussion around here than just bickering.

OMG. You guys are defending this dope. I could tolerate the "Gimme my 10 targets" and "I could have Julio Jones stats if I had 20 targets" bull ****....but this dolt is bordering on TO material. Never, never, never call out your fans!! That's the sign of immaturity and a lack of professionalism. You can go ahead and defend him all you want but I've made up my mind on this kid.

But the fans can say whatever they want.......

The QBs weren't all that different in performance last night though

What game were you watching? Although the general passing stats look similar the two QB's played much differently.

One QB didn't get sacked all that much but he was getting hit almost every pass play, and it showed so much that he was screaming at his linemen. Considering how much pressure he was under, and how injured his receiving corps currently was he still managed to be somewhat accurate in hitting his receivers. Then when the opposing defense lost a starter in the secondary this QB managed to exploit it.

The other QB was very inaccurate for a lot of his passes, and didn't even throw to his best WR threat until late in the game. This QB couldn't run a two min drill if his life depended on it.

Good thing the Bills gave up two first rounders for Chris Hogan who led the team in receiving yardage.

My guess is that its because he is risk averse. He sees Watkins bracketed and doesnt want to take a chance. The same thing we saw from EJ we are seeing with TT. He needs guys to be wide open before he trusts the throw.

This is exactly what i see. he does not throw guys open, not trust them.

It is holding Tyrod back from attaining the "next" level honestly.

But i can wait a bit on Tyrod.

just has not developed chemistry with receivers including Clay.

its so obvious when you see when and where the throws are getting to the Pass Catchers.

Thats why Roman needs to lean on the run game this year.

to argue with the Watkins is lacking crowd, i would watch Clay too.

paid a lot of money for guy to block. and the passes to him were mostly tough ones.

Not nearly as scary as EJM, but TT needs a lot more work yet.

Go Sammy !

What game were you watching? Although the general passing stats look similar the two QB's played much differently.

One QB didn't get sacked all that much but he was getting hit almost every pass play, and it showed so much that he was screaming at his linemen. Considering how much pressure he was under, and how injured his receiving corps currently was he still managed to be somewhat accurate in hitting his receivers. Then when the opposing defense lost a starter in the secondary this QB managed to exploit it.

The other QB was very inaccurate for a lot of his passes, and didn't even throw to his best WR threat until late in the game. This QB couldn't run a two min drill if his life depended on it.

Good thing the Bills gave up two first rounders for Chris Hogan who led the team in receiving yardage.

I mean, if you want to ignore all of Brady's fear induced ground balls that's fine. His receivers made a few really impressive catches to help him as well, despite being mostly no-names.

It doesn't matter how any fan wants to spin it.

• Watkins lack of production - just not the best WR in that rookie class.
  • QB not targeting Watkins who is elite - Bills QB is not Eli Manning
  • OC's under 2 different regimes not game planing around Watkins - Hackett and Romans fault

Using two first round picks and a 4th on Watkins has been a HUGE blunder by this front office. Clearly this move was panic by Whaley. What these 3 narratives around the player that is Sammy Watkins show that this move to trade up was not well thought out at all!

I don't know if that was panic or down right foolish in just watching highlight films instead of breaking down exactly why Watkins was so successful in college. Because they have yet to use him like he was used in college.

So now the Bills have a "maybe" star at WR who is injury prone but the coaches can't figure out a way to get the guy more pass targets. Then I can only wonder if Watkins was seeing ten plus targets a game if he would even hold up under all that work considering his injury history.

There is no question to the world outside the Bills fan bubble that trading away three draft picks, and two firsts for a WR was blatantly stupid when the team still lacks that franchise QB.

I don't know if that was panic or down right foolish in just watching highlight films instead of breaking down exactly why Watkins was so successful in college. Because they have yet to use him like he was used in college.

So now the Bills have a "maybe" star at WR who is injury prone but the coaches can't figure out a way to get the guy more pass targets. Then I can only wonder if Watkins was seeing ten plus targets a game if he would even hold up under all that work considering his injury history.

There is no question to the world outside the Bills fan bubble that trading away three draft picks, and two firsts for a WR was blatantly stupid when the team still lacks that franchise QB.

I'm not so sure Darby and Sammy combined aren't worth 2 firsts and a second...

I mean, if you want to ignore all of Brady's fear induced ground balls that's fine. His receivers made a few really impressive catches to help him as well, despite being mostly no-names.

Excuse me, I made an honest mistake in responding to... or taking the bait. Carry on.

Excuse me, I made an honest mistake in responding to... or taking the bait. Carry on.

So because Brady had a bad night as well and I pointed it out I'm trolling? what a joke. Here are some facts from last night's game. Despite Tyrod's missed opportunities he finished with a better completion percentage, higher passer rating, higher tQBR, and less interceptions than Brady. Stats never tell the full story, but let's not act like Brady had some killer night while Tyrod did nothing. Both had lackluster nights. The game was plagued with many issues for the Bills, Tyrod's play being one of them, but they had pretty similar games.

What was with that play where it was deep down the sideline in bounds and Watkins didn't even try to catch the ball, it just fell to the ground. That play was so weird to me. He should have adjusted back to the ball and got it at it's highest point. The defender wasn't looking at the ball at all. At worst that would have been a pass interference if he attacked the ball.

I'm questioning is ability to go up and get the rock. The pass is not always perfect.

He's running a fly down the sideline and the ball comes up short of both him, and the defender he ran by but he should've high pointed it? Seems that might be easier for you or I to say than him do when running full speed away from the ball

He's running a fly down the sideline and the ball comes up short of both him, and the defender he ran by but he should've high pointed it? Seems that might be easier for you or I to say than him do when running full speed away from the ball

Agreed, that's a tough adjustment. But in his postgame I believe he mentioned that a coach told him if the ball comes in like that he should fight back to the ball to draw a flag, and when it happened later in the game he did and it did draw a flag.

Agreed, that's a tough adjustment. But in his postgame I believe he mentioned that a coach told him if the ball comes in like that he should fight back to the ball to draw a flag, and when it happened later in the game he did and it did draw a flag.

I'll buy that- but anyone saying it should've been an easy adjustment is underestimating it. Could you draw the foul with contact? Maybe. Could he have gotten by a defender to high point it? I don't think so