Sammy Watkins...

Codyny13

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Sammy is great, just look at the numbers. He was really covered pretty well by Butler all night from what I saw. NUMBERS don't lie people.

The numbers are the numbers, but they don't tell the reason. TT absolutely refuses to throw a ball where SW can make a play on it. Sammy knows he only needs a half step, which he usually has. Did you notice him putting his hand up often last night, calling forthe ball? Most QBs with that kind of receiver trust him to make a play over the DB. TT won't go there unless a guy is totally wide open. That usu won't be Watkins as he's getting all the attention. But he's your best WR by a mile. TT is keeping the INTs down by playing this way, but a lot of big plays, TDs , PI calls are being left out there. I don't think it's Roman. This is mostly on Taylor either being too cautious or trying too hard to never throw an INT.

@NFL

One hand. Somehow Sammy Watkins was able to bring this down with just one hand. #BUFvsNE http://snpy.tv/1Nb8nSM

So what?

There are lots of guys that make nice one hand grabs throughout the league. Lots of great catches each week.

No one is questioning his skills (though I'm starting to wonder how good he is at positioning himself for a catch, or at fighting for a ball). The question is about where is his production.

Edited by HoF Watkins

@AroundTheNFL

Why can't Bills turn Sammy Watkins into their version of DeAndre Hopkins? @ConorOrr explores http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000587075/article/why-cant-sammy-watkins-be-deandre-hopkins-in-buffalo

CUl0DvlUEAAOR3k.jpg

Sammy Watkins: "You've Got To Play Smart" (1:49)
WR Sammy Watkins talks about the defensive play against the high powered NE offense and how small mental mistakes are often the difference between winning and losing in the NFL.

So what?

There are lots of guys that make nice one hand grabs throughout the league. Lots of great catches each week.

No one is questioning his skills (though I'm starting to wonder how good he is at fighting for a ball, and positioning himself for a catch). The question is about where is his production.

He better start calling his own number and of course he has to throw it to himself too. :thumbsup:

So what?

No one is questioning his skills (though I'm starting to wonder how good he is at positioning himself for a catch, or at fighting for a ball). The question is about where is his production.

Yup...and the guy in the same draft as Watkins can do it all better.

And maybe his height is holding him back a little.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/15/sammy-watkins-clemson-nfl-draft

http://thebiglead.com/2014/04/22/nfl-draft-wide-receivers-shorter-than-6-foot-3-taken-in-the-top-10-since-2000-havent-fared-well/

But Watkins is just 6-foot-1 and at the NFL Draft Combine in February, his vertical leap was only 34 inches, which ranked him 27th among receivers who participated. As an NFL-obsessed friend noticed, here’s a look at how receivers shorter than 6-foot-3 who have been selected in the Top 10 since 2000 have fared.

nfl_draft_wr_height.jpg?w=1000

Bust city.

Edited by HoF Watkins

It doesn't matter how any fan wants to spin it.

• Watkins lack of production - just not the best WR in that rookie class.
  • QB not targeting Watkins who is elite - Bills QB is not Eli Manning
  • OC's under 2 different regimes not game planing around Watkins - Hackett and Romans fault

Using two first round picks and a 4th on Watkins has been a HUGE blunder by this front office. Clearly this move was panic by Whaley. What these 3 narratives around the player that is Sammy Watkins show that this move to trade up was not well thought out at all!

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I'm done bickering. If you are satisfied, that's fine. Nothing more to say about Watkins, except that I don't expect the Bills to win enough games to make the playoffs if he doesn't have more impact.

Now the only question is whether that vow of silence will last minutes or hours.

So what?

:lol: It took less than a day for you to backtrack on your, "nothing more to say about Sammy Watkins" tip. Anyone who picked hours in the poll is a winner. :lol:

:lol: It took less than a day for you to backtrack on your, "nothing more to say about Sammy Watkins" tip. Anyone who picked hours in the poll is a winner. :lol:

He's a secret member of the revived Knights Templar. Every crusade has its chosen soldiers. Onward!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

What was with that play where it was deep down the sideline in bounds and Watkins didn't even try to catch the ball, it just fell to the ground. That play was so weird to me. He should have adjusted back to the ball and got it at it's highest point. The defender wasn't looking at the ball at all. At worst that would have been a pass interference if he attacked the ball.

I'm questioning is ability to go up and get the rock. The pass is not always perfect.

It doesn't matter how any fan wants to spin it.

• Watkins lack of production - just not the best WR in that rookie class.
  • QB not targeting Watkins who is elite - Bills QB is not Eli Manning
  • OC's under 2 different regimes not game planing around Watkins - Hackett and Romans fault

Using two first round picks and a 4th on Watkins has been a HUGE blunder by this front office. Clearly this move was panic by Whaley. What these 3 narratives around the player that is Sammy Watkins show that this move to trade up was not well thought out at all!

I think your 2nd and 3rd bullets are most truthful above. And ...your conclusion I really cant argue either but thats almost entirely because they made that draft deal knowing they still had (and still have) a gaping hole at the QB position. Oh I am of the opinion Sammy, under the right circumstances is absolutely a world class talent. Man,, its just so frustrating as a fan of this team.

And maybe his height is holding him back a little.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/15/sammy-watkins-clemson-nfl-draft

http://thebiglead.com/2014/04/22/nfl-draft-wide-receivers-shorter-than-6-foot-3-taken-in-the-top-10-since-2000-havent-fared-well/

But Watkins is just 6-foot-1 and at the NFL Draft Combine in February, his vertical leap was only 34 inches, which ranked him 27th among receivers who participated. As an NFL-obsessed friend noticed, here’s a look at how receivers shorter than 6-foot-3 who have been selected in the Top 10 since 2000 have fared.

nfl_draft_wr_height.jpg?w=1000

Bust city.

Michael Crabtree and Tavon Austin are not necessarily busts, in my opinion.

What was with that play where it was deep down the sideline in bounds and Watkins didn't even try to catch the ball, it just fell to the ground. That play was so weird to me. He should have adjusted back to the ball and got it at it's highest point. The defender wasn't looking at the ball at all. At worst that would have been a pass interference if he attacked the ball.

I'm questioning is ability to go up and get the rock. The pass is not always perfect.

Me too. In college, he was so open that he didn't have to fight for catches. There was lots of speculation that he might not be tall enough, or have a good enough vertical jump, to become a dominate WR. Half his big plays in college were at or behind the line of scrimmage. He was never dominate in the Red Zone.

So this week's Sammy excuse is that the quarterback sucks. I wonder what it will be next week?

Sammy can't throw the ball to himself. He can't make his QB look at him and throw him the ball. He can't get the coach to call better routes (if that's the problem)

Sammy can't throw the ball to himself. He can't make his QB look at him and throw him the ball. He can't get the coach to call better routes (if that's the problem)

Sure he can...it's in Roman's playbook. Next week Sammy with demand that Roman call it on every play.