Mario's last year?

Mikie2times

Mario does not seem to be the right fit in the 3-4. You want power at that position and while Mario certainly has power, he isn't built like a typical 3-4 end would be in Rex Ryan's schemes. Further he is not lightning quick off the edge, nor do you pay him for pass coverage, so as a 3-4 OLB he isn't the perfect fit either. Mario is a great 4-3 DE, but that's not what we run. His cap savings in 2016 would be 12.9 million dollars. I just don't see us retaining him past this season.

Edited by KzooMike

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario does not seem to be the right fit in the 3-4. You want power at that position and while Mario certainly has power, he isn't built like a typical 3-4 end would be in Rex Ryan's schemes. Further he is not lightning quick off the edge, nor do you pay him for pass coverage, so as a 3-4 OLB he isn't the perfect fit either. Mario is a great 4-3 DE, but that's not what we run. His cap savings in 2016 would be 12.9 million dollars. I just don't see us retaining him past this season.

Mario is being wasted under Rex the same way he was in Houston.

If Rex doesn't play to his players strengths & get figured out where he is going wrong within his scheme i think Mario will want to walk .

Dennis Thurmon is not a DC at least not a good one ! He need sot put more faith in his players ability instead of his scheme & leave his ego at the door. Plus admit when it's just not working .

This unit for the last 2 years have been one of the most feared defensive units in football & this year they look all of middle of the road . The players are the same, the thing that has changed is the coaches .

So what does that tell us ??

Mario had five sacks in the first five games when the Texans switched to the 34 before getting injured in 2011. The emergence of JJ Watt and the Texans desire not to make him then highest paid DE at the time is why they were OK with losing him in free agency.

Mario had an All Pro year in the same kind of hybrid 34 in Petine's scheme.

It is not that he is playing in a 34, it is what he is being asked to do in Ryan's scheming of it.

He is one of the best at his position, regardless, and it would be stupid to simply let him go.

GO BILLS!!!

Mario had five sacks in the first five games when the Texans switched to the 34 before getting injured in 2011. The emergence of JJ Watt and the Texans desire not to make him then highest paid DE at the time is why they were OK with losing him in free agency.

It is not that he is playing in a 34, it is what he is being asked to do in Ryan's scheming of it.

He is one of the best at his position, regardless, and it would be stupid to simply let him go.

GO BILLS!!!

K9 could not be more right. Please end the thread now. Nothing more need be said.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed. And he still looks like the Bills best d-lineman in most games, although Dareus has made some nice plays. Edited by dave mcbride

GO BILLS!!!

Mario also had the unique position of coming off a 1st overall draft pick contract in a time where they weren't limited by a rookie wage scale, so his cap number in his final year with Houston was near $20M.

For him to re-sign prior to free agency, they'd have had to blow his doors off, and because of the provisions under the franchise tag, his tag value was a whopping $24M!

Mario's entry into the open market was a perfect storm of events that is unlikely to happen again (thanks to the rookie wage scale).

GO BILLS!!!

There shouldn't be too many ludicrous claims about Mario after this post. For that, I thank you.

He's a damned good player still. But, for monetary reasons I could see him being gone after 2016 (and I think Meatball will be gone then too). We're gonna need to do some stellar drafting this year and next. We still need a franchise QB, and soon starting DTs and DEs. Ouch.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't always agree with you, K-9, but i do here! Mario is amid a HOF career and I want to see him enter the Hall as a Bill. Rex? Not even a Hall of Very Good candidate..

Mario is being wasted under Rex the same way he was in Houston.

I do recall that Mario came to Buffalo for the big bucks....yes...but that he also wanted to play in a 4-3. The shift to the Rex 3-4 based D is a mess, and , unfortunately, the owners (saints, yes) apparently went for REX show, not go on the football field. Buffalo has been snakebit by changing back an forth for about a decade.4-3, 3-4,4-3,3-4 etc etc. Players fit one better than another...so what. And, it is a management failure to comprehend this....and that ,now , is the Pegula's. (RIP Mr Wilson)

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly...

Honestly...I think Rex's system is just messing with the front 4...For whatever reason...I'm not trying to say I know the answer as to why...I am saying I don't think the D-line has bought into Rex's system whatsoever... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Rex needs to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. When your players are good enough that you can run simple s*** and make plays, why not do that until more mental horsepower is required? Having Dareus play the nose straight up in a 3 0 front is such a waste of his skills. It's 2015. There are reasons teams don't run 3-4 2-gap defenses anymore. The ideal front 3 is a body type that is just too rare these days. Especially if you want them to play better than the average 4-3 line. Rex has put a lot on film over the years. How exotic can his scheme really be in 2015?