Would We Be Better Off If We'd Just Kept Fitzy

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be, but those were different attempts. Staying with a veteran journeyman QB with major limitations that is Ryan FitzPickSix takes the team where they need to be? Nope!

It leaves the team ... the same as it is now. The same as it was last year as far as QB goes. But it would have provided more roster flexibility to fill other needs, including saving that EJ draft pick for, oh, I don't know, maybe an offensive lineman?

Absolutely not. Best case scenario for the jets is they make the playoffs with Fitz and they play a vey competitive game only to watch him throw the most inopportune interception that will cost them the game. They have no hope of ever winning a super bowl with him as qb

And the hope for winning the Super Bowl right now is ................... ??????

Remember, the GM himself said we're (still) in QB purgatory. The savior ain't in town.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

This has the potential to be a 100 page thread. It mixes Fitzy with EJ vs. TT, and Buddy Nix and Whaley.

It's like a well balanced meal.

3046096.gif

That's the nature of a counterfactual. Some people just give up and say "how could we predict everything else that could have happened." So that's fine. But since we expend hundreds of thousands of words arguing about such things, why not this one?

if keeping fitz your starter meant NOT picking EJ in the first round of a lousy qb class, your "would we be better off" arguement improves.

fitz is currently ranked 23rd in qb passer rating. not good enough.

without EJ in the mix, marrone might still be the coach.

you could what if this all over the place.

And don't forget this:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2015/2/11/8015555/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-2015-dead-money-ryan-fitzpatrick-stevie-johnson

The dead money trap is largely over, but what other moves to make the team better did it prevent us from making over the last few years?

So it isn't just Fitzy vs. EJ or Tyrod. It's Fitzy plus the other talent we missed out on ...

you do realize that if we kept him that dead money wouldve still been used up salary cap space since we would be paying him.... right?

There's kind of a "you can't handle the truth" nature to most responses to a simple question like this. Because the truth is "we would have been mediocre, with an outside shot at a wild card, which is exactly what we are right now."

So then WHAT WAS YOUR POINT?!?

That TD pass Fitz threw to Marshall yesterday was a terrible, inaccurate throw that Marshall somehow stooped down, snagged, and spun away for a TD

Fitzpatrick gets away with a lot when he looks "good"

Then reality sets in. Currently reality is scheduled to set in this Sunday at 1pm.

If somehow "good Fitz" shows up and throws for 400 YDS and 4-5 TD this week I will happily "tip my hat" to him (since we tips hats around here)

I thought Fitzpatrick was horrible. Tyrod healthy is much better.

And a healthy, younger Mike Vick is much better still ... in other words, a key knock on Tyrod was that a smallish QB who depends heavily on running skills to be effective would be unlikely to make it through a season, or even the majority of a season. And so far, he's kind of proving that point.

I'm willing to read how amazing Fitzpatrick and Gailey are if it means they beat New England* this week.

I want the Patriots* to look beatable. All I have right now is that they only beat the Colts by 7, which must scare them a bit.

And the name of one of Fitzy's kids? Brady. :w00t: Really. OK, I didn't know that. I mean, he really couldn't name a kid Kelly? It's even unisex! I take back everything I said.

So then WHAT WAS YOUR POINT?!?

John Wooden used to say, "Never confuse activity with achievement." And on the activity front, the Bills are clear winners. Changes, big changes, every year changes. Fitzy is the savior! Sign him to a 6-year deal with tons of guaranteed money! Oh, wait a minute, it turns out he's a mediocre QB after all. Dump him! Grab whatever mid-rounder talent you can find with a first-round pick. EJ is the savior! Let him take the reigns right away! Oh, no ... wait a minute ... shockingly, it's as if all the scouting reports on EJ were actually right; he's a developmental project. But we don't have time! Move on! Find the most reasonable facsimile of Ryan Fitzpatrick who isn't currently on someone else's roster. Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce Mr. Kyle Orton! Oh well. At least we have a dominant defense. But since Kyle re-retired and we can't find a franchise quarterback anywhere, let's fix the one thing that isn't broken, the defense. Bring in Rex Ryan! He's a defensive mastermind. A man of such genius that Kyle Orton put up 43 and 38 points against him last year! (Note: the Bills did not score even 30 points in any other game last year.) That'll fix it!

And that's my point.

Watch Fitzy's TD run yesterday. How quickly we forget ... he's limited as a QB, and we all know it, but yes, he actually has won games through his play rather than just serving as a game manager

Yes and most on this board forget the record TT broke on QB run yards was Fritzpatrick; the problem was the front office offering too large of contract too soon and falling for those unpunished bozos phone stunt. If he had not been so embarrassed and contract smaller he could have held the QB position while new QB got spun up out rather having QBs thrown to the wolves. No he is NOT perfect but he is better than some starting QBs playing now and Jets got lucky with IK punch. Fritzpatrick is a player with lots of heart.

Serious question: in 2011, Ryan Fitzpatrick signed his 6 year/$59 million contract extension which would take him through the 2016 season as the Bills starter. Since then, we've been through Fitz, EJ, Kyle Orton, Tyrod Taylor ... and maybe EJ again for a while. What if we'd just let that contract play out? Would we be better or worse off right now? I'm going to have to say better off, since a whole cascade of other events likely wouldn't have happened: drafting EJ, making the Sammy Watkins trade, bringing in Rex Ryan, getting stuck for several years with guaranteed Fitzy dead money that could have been applied to other needs.

Easy to dismiss the question with an eye roll emoji, but seriously: what's the argument for exactly how we're better off now -- and maybe more importantly, in 2017 and on -- than we would have been if we'd just let that contract play out? Remember, Fitzy and the Texans beat us last year, and Fitzy's Jets are 4-1 this year. No, he hasn't gone to the playoffs, but unless I missed it, neither have the Bills ...

No, we'd be better off if we tanked for Luck