Watkins: "I need 10 targets... You're making me look bad."

johnwalter

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/15/sammy-watkins-speaks-up-when-i-get-one-on-one-just-target-me/

Quote:

“Everybody looks at you getting zero catches, zero yards but when you look on film 90 percent of the time you’re open,” Watkins said. “I understand that these guys are young and they need some time to trust me. Once we get that trust, it’ll be different. But for me, I need the ball at least 10 times — I need 10 targets — and I’ll be fine with however many yards I get. And that’s what I addressed in talking with my agent. We reached out to a couple people and tried to pull some strings like, ‘Hey, I need my targets. You came up to draft me and I’m not getting targets — that’s a problem. You’re making me look bad and you’re making yourself look bad. Why not make both of us look good?’”

“You really just put it on film," Watkins said, "and go to the coach like, ‘Hey, I’m getting open. What’s the deal here?’ Don’t be an (expletive) about it, just go talk to him about the situation. I see the bigger picture. I enjoy spreading the ball around. It makes my job easier. But at the same time, for a guy you go up in the draft to take as your No. 1 receiver, you would love those 15 targets that Julio gets, those 20 targets that Odell gets. Of course I’d have 100 yards every game and a TD, if I’m getting 20 targets."

UPDATE: Sammy responds...

@sammywatkins: @TyDunne Wish you could have added the part we have so many playmakers and me not caring about numbers I care about winning.. Grow up.. Sir.

Edited by johnwalter

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great trade by Whalley. This kid really pisses me off. How about you make a play for your QB instead of getting alligator arms. How about you don't throw you hands up and disrespect your QB when you're a rookie. How about try to play through your boo-boo and help your team.

I love that he is finally speaking up and more importantly he's absolutely right.

Ppl knocked him last year bc he wasn't putting up same type of numbers as Odell but those same ppl just looked at final stats which don't tell the entire story. Odell was targeted 20 times in the season finale vs the Eagles...Sammy was targeted 30 times the last 4 games combined.

He's frustrated and wants to prove himself, don't see anything wrong with this

Just because what he said is accurate, doesn't make it wise to share it with the media.

It's like one of the players saying, "Well, Tyrod really sucked for the majority of the game, but he did get us back in it with his legs. Thank God we didn't need to rely on accurate passing," after last week's game. I'm sure many thought it; but it's not right to say it into a microphone.

Great trade by Whalley. This kid really pisses me off. How about you make a play for your QB instead of getting alligator arms. How about you don't throw you hands up and disrespect your QB when you're a rookie. How about try to play through your boo-boo and help your team.

Ha!

Sammy's right. But why lay it all out for the media? Is he not getting a good answer from the coaches?

Wrong. While Sammy may have missed a catch here or there, he has generally been nothing short of first round quality. He saved our butts in multiple games last year. It's not fair to him if he's not getting targets because we're handing the ball off to Boobie Dixon 10 times.

And if he doesn't want to be an (expletive) about it, maybe he should keep it in house and not run to ESPN.