Watkins' post-practice hot takes

The Big Cat

Where do you come up with the 30%? None of these guys will play until cleared by doctors to begin with. Then the trainers run them through their paces to be certain they can play but mostly, it comes down to how well the player feels. If they feel like they can go without re-injury they do it. Being overly cautious does not win football games. This is a brutal sport and the way to win is to dish out more beatings than you receive. Backing down is not how you go about this.

McCoy felt he could go and it turns out he was wrong. That happens. And as it turns out Karlos came right in and contributed nicely. I'm not saying that injuries should be ignored, but some of these guys have all ready been resting. They know that re-injuring themselves is bad for the team and for themselves. They aren't stupid. If they feel good, bottom line is they should jump right back in.

Like i said, this is a hypothetical, the 30% number is made up. But there is a clear risk reward decision that needs to be made. Obviously the Bills were wrong about Mccoy, regardless of what he or trainers said if he was good to go. Sometimes you need to take a more cautious approach especially when a reinjury causes significant time loss.

If Watkins plays, my primary concern about the game is that he does not re-aggrevate his calf. Secondary concern will be for them to win the game.

If he rests an extra week, and then plays against miami and jacksonville, I think our chances of winning those games are pretty solid.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, he just won't stop:

@totallymadeupbydollars2donuts

Watkins on playing the Bengals: "I'm going to start the game on Sunday and in the first half I'm going to blow-up their DBs like Schwarzenegger did to the jungle in "Predator", then I am going to go in at halftime, eat a sandwich, come out for the second half, and torch whatever DBs are left like Scott Glenn did to those buildings in "Backdraft"."

"...and if we go to overtime I'm going to beat their LBs like Streep did to the eggs in "Julie/Julia"."

This is not real lol

John I really don't know why you're blaming me, Sammy said it!

:D

John on the side, and not to stir the pot - is there anything that can be read into the idea that Sammy, given his stats during the brief time he has been playing with TT, might prefer EJ?

Again, not to start a controversy, but just wondering.

He didnt really do much with ej did he? I thought we were seeing 3 or 4 targets... although... that ball ej threw to sammy in that dolphins game, the one grimes broke up was probably one of the most beautiful passes sammy will see

I'd be okay with not trying to win this game at all costs...

Sit Watkins

Sit Taylor

Sit Mccoy

Sit Karlos

Let's get people healthy, after the Bengals we get Jacksonville followed by Miami followed by a bye. We should go 2-1 this stretch by resting these four players to get ready for our playoff run. Let's be smart.

I just read a quote by Watkins regarding his calf injury...."If it pops, it pops"....this is a terrible approach. This is not a playofff/must win game.

58514257.jpg

First of all... 20 posts. Welcome Jobot. Now on to the meat. Absolutely no way. We have to win now... this team isnt good enough to mail it in. Tyrod. I think we could do without him. And I think we need McCoy even though he isnt playing. I think Williams was a by product of spelling McCoy. So i think McCoy and Boom would work. Obviously McCoy is out but We miss his versatility... and we havent even seen it yet

Here is what I don't understand...how do teams like Cleveland with far less talent overall even with Watkins out roll up yards and points every week??

Its all about the mentality. McCown would never EVER put up 400+ in buffalo. Hopefully Rex shifts the paradigm. And hopefully the check down short throws were just tyrod. But that remains to be seen.

They are 8th in the NFL in offense at 377+ yards a game. Hell Houston is 4th at 396 yards per game. DeAndre Hopkins is a stud at WR but they have no QB...bottom line is we should be a lot better than we are on offense with the talent we have.

Literally... WHO THE FREAK IS STARTING FOR HOUSTON NOW

Great post Poojer! You're a valuable member of the community.

without question.

and he aint the only one.

If EJM can get in there and have some fun, i think we will too.

i guess i am kinda hoping Rex pulls the cord and lets Manuel play. with TT dressed.

These guys can help us win games.

I never can tell with Woods because he's one of those players that seems to run really hot. Lot's of people have noticed his body language, but he's always blocking and playing hard to the whistle. Most guys that don't get the ball just quit.

He is another of my favorite players. essential to the team. quintessential actually.

"I understand the presence of me on the field"...

deep aint he....

abit much too much time away from the field perhaps. of hanging out with Seantrel and Marcell. on the bong bongs?

Where do you come up with the 30%? None of these guys will play until cleared by doctors to begin with. Then the trainers run them through their paces to be certain they can play but mostly, it comes down to how well the player feels. If they feel like they can go without re-injury they do it. Being overly cautious does not win football games. This is a brutal sport and the way to win is to dish out more beatings than you receive. Backing down is not how you go about this.

McCoy felt he could go and it turns out he was wrong. That happens. And as it turns out Karlos came right in and contributed nicely. I'm not saying that injuries should be ignored, but some of these guys have all ready been resting. They know that re-injuring themselves is bad for the team and for themselves. They aren't stupid. If they feel good, bottom line is they should jump right back in.

he said it was hypothetical

and how is karlos doing btw

without question.

and he aint the only one.

If EJM can get in there and have some fun, i think we will too.

i guess i am kinda hoping Rex pulls the cord and lets Manuel play. with TT dressed.

These guys can help us win games.

He is another of my favorite players. essential to the team. quintessential actually.

deep aint he....

abit much too much time away from the field perhaps. of hanging out with Seantrel and Marcell. on the bong bongs?

he said it was hypothetical

and how is karlos doing btw

Not the point. Karlos was completely healthy at that point. No way you can be predict what happened next...another injury. He may have to sit another week if the doctors think he should. The whole idea of sitting every playmaker on the team, mailing it in for a game and at some point in time working them back in is flawed. The team does not need to sacrifice a win by being tentative about starting. Once cleared by the doctors, it comes down to what is best for the team. People seem to forget that some of these guys have all ready been out for a while healing.

Personally, I think some TT fanboys are afraid EJ will get some of the playmakers back in time to have a good game. Hell, TT might even be playing with a brace. Personally, I'd rather see the coaches make that decision based on what they think is best for the team and not worry about what might happen.

Edited by Rockinon

I'd be okay with not trying to win this game at all costs...

Sit Watkins

Sit Taylor

Sit Mccoy

Sit Karlos

Let's get people healthy, after the Bengals we get Jacksonville followed by Miami followed by a bye. We should go 2-1 this stretch by resting these four players to get ready for our playoff run. Let's be smart.

I just read a quote by Watkins regarding his calf injury...."If it pops, it pops"....this is a terrible approach. This is not a playofff/must win game.

No, this is not the way to do it. It's NFL football. The Bills essentially have 6 losses to play with (7th loss will be bye bye playoffs). They cannot afford to just throw away a game and get their 3rd loss in week six. I heard the NFL "insider" on FS1 today mention that Sammy and Lesean are well ahead of schedule and will probably play this weekend. Karlos and Tyrod likely out. I say good, get Sammy and McCoy back in there even if not 100%.

Not the point. Karlos was completely healthy at that point. No way you can be predict what happened next...another injury. He may have to sit another week if the doctors think he should. The whole idea of sitting every playmaker on the team, mailing it in for a game and at some point in time working them back in is flawed. The team does not need to sacrifice a win by being tentative about starting. Once cleared by the doctors, it comes down to what is best for the team. People seem to forget that some of these guys have all ready been out for a while healing.

Personally, I think some TT fanboys are afraid EJ will get some of the playmakers back in time to have a good game. Hell, TT might even be playing with a brace. Personally, I'd rather see the coaches make that decision based on what they think is best for the team and not worry about what might happen.

Mailing it In? i did not mean to ever ever imply that!

I heard a story from a friend of mine that was a Division I college tennis player...

He said he trained with the same coach the entire time he was in college, and built his entire game based upon that one guy's coaching.

Some time after college (after never making the pro tour), he was on vacation, and decided to get a lesson from the local pro. The local pro taught a totally different style of stroke.

When he went to play in his next match in local league play, he said he felt like he'd never played the game before. Why? Because every time the ball came to him, he was thinking, not reacting.

Watkins' quote, coupled with EJ's hesitancy last season, make me believe that he suffered from the same problem as my tennis-playing friend.

Not unlikely. I think Fitz regressed his last year here when Lee was brought in, for hte same reason, and I think our D is currently having the same problem.

Could Tyrod be afraid of losing his job to EJ? Why else would he be trying to play injured? After listening to Watkins talking up EJ, I'm curious to hear from Woods, Clay and Percy. The lead up to this game is going to be very interesting!!!

I think it's simply a natural fear of someone like him who has finally gotten his chance. It shows he's smart enough to know what can happen when you sit out with an injury. And I think he does know the QB competition was close and sees the same hunger in EJ that is in him.

I've seen Rex's quote thrown around quite a bit "Tyrod is the present and EJ is the future." Is anyone else somewhat confused by this--EJ is 25 and TT is 26. We're not talking like an established 35 year old vet and a 25 year old 3rd year player. They both want to be franchise QBs. Like in Highlander, there can only be one.

I think it's simply a natural fear of someone like him who has finally gotten his chance. It shows he's smart enough to know what can happen when you sit out with an injury. And I think he does know the QB competition was close and sees the same hunger in EJ that is in him.

I've seen Rex's quote thrown around quite a bit "Tyrod is the present and EJ is the future." Is anyone else somewhat confused by this--EJ is 25 and TT is 26. We're not talking like an established 35 year old vet and a 25 year old 3rd year player. They both want to be franchise QBs. Like in Highlander, there can only be one.

I believe that is a misquote. I believe he said they have their qbs of the present and future on the roster. Never labeled one as the present and one as the future. I could be wrong but that's how I remembered it.

i think his quote was actually that both guys are the present and the future. He didn't indicate which was which. One could assume he meant what you said based on the depth chart, but I read it more as simply that Cassel was neither. He said it the day after he Cassel was traded when barraged with questions by Jerry Sullivan as if they had just traded Joe Montana. I think Rex was trying to give them a good enough quote so they would move on. Edited by YoloinOhio

They are 8th in the NFL in offense at 377+ yards a game. Hell Houston is 4th at 396 yards per game. DeAndre Hopkins is a stud at WR but they have no QB...bottom line is we should be a lot better than we are on offense with the talent we have.

The Bills are 9th in the NFL in PPG and 4th in the AFC. Better than Cleveland, fwiw. I'm not happy with the O just yet but it hasn't been a total disaster.

When fully healthy, we looked pretty darn good on offense.

I think Sammy is more important to this offense than TT. Even if TT is misses this week I'd expect the offense to be much better than it has been the past two weeks if Sammy is back. It's just going to be icing on the cake if/when Shady and Karlos make it back.