Watkins' post-practice hot takes

The Big Cat

Watkins: "Defenses have been having their way with just stacking the box w/ the run game. ...I think I'm going to open a lot of things up."
Sammy Watkins was something else today. On EJ Manuel: "Now he’s got more freedom, nobody’s up his back every play telling him what to do."
Watkins: "I understand the presence of me on the field. ... I feel like the offense has been basic without me out there."

MORE:

Watkins on EJ's development: "Confidence. His swag. Now, he's got more freedom. Nobody's on his back every play telling him what to do."

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CROW EATING TIME:

Whether or not the coaches last year kept EJ from being a top flight QB is something we'll never know.

However, I vehemently argued against the notion he was 'neutered' by the coaches and playing scared. I had a hard time envisioning a universe in which a grown man would respond to that level of negative-treatment from a fellow grown man.

I guess I was wrong. Apparently it was that extreme.

CROW EATING TIME:

Whether or not the coaches last year kept EJ from being a top flight QB is something we'll never know.

However, I vehemently argued against the notion he was 'neutered' by the coaches and playing scared. I had a hard time envisioning a universe in which a grown man would respond to that level of negative-treatment from a fellow grown man.

Not necessarily 'neutered' or playing scared. Seems more like he was told what to do all the time and couldn't play his game. Micro-managed to the point of failure.

Edited by The Wiz

Not necessarily 'neutered' or playing scared. Seems more like he was told what to do all the time and couldn't play his game. Micro-managed to the point of failure.

I heard a story from a friend of mine that was a Division I college tennis player...

He said he trained with the same coach the entire time he was in college, and built his entire game based upon that one guy's coaching.

Some time after college (after never making the pro tour), he was on vacation, and decided to get a lesson from the local pro. The local pro taught a totally different style of stroke.

When he went to play in his next match in local league play, he said he felt like he'd never played the game before. Why? Because every time the ball came to him, he was thinking, not reacting.

Watkins' quote, coupled with EJ's hesitancy last season, make me believe that he suffered from the same problem as my tennis-playing friend.

CROW EATING TIME:

Both Orton and EJ were neutered last year by Marrone. It was pretty obvious in Orton's game and I argued violently that is why Orton appeared to give up the last half of the season. He would play and he would throw but the first few games he was allowed to just wing it and the last half of the season he surely wasn't. EJ was told not to run (because he got hurt the year before) and told over and over don't make mistakes. It clearly showed in his game, and as soon as he was benched he said something about it, that the next time he was out there he was not going to play so cautious and just be himself again, as well as soon as Marrone was gone. Then during preseason several players said the difference in him is he is just not afraid. That was a direct result of coaching.

Dang Sammy!

Both Orton and EJ were neutered last year by Marrone. It was pretty obvious in Orton's game and I argued violently that is why Orton appeared to give up the last half of the season. He would play and he would throw but the first few games he was allowed to just wing it and the last half of the season he surely wasn't. EJ was told not to run (because he got hurt the year before) and told over and over don't make mistakes. It clearly showed in his game, and as soon as he was benched he said something about it, that the next time he was out there he was not going to play so cautious and just be himself again, as well as soon as Marrone was gone. Then during preseason several players said the difference in him is he is just not afraid. That was a direct result of coaching.

Absolutely. Orton was at his best orchestrating the comeback drives at Detroit and against Minnesota (I guess both Jets games too). But, I mean, the way he ran the offense in total command was extremely different from the standard fare we saw even in those very games.

I don't know about the "grown man" slight, he was a rookie and needed development. A domineering coach that is putting restrictions on you, could easily mess up a QB's game, even a "grown man's".

It's really not worth rehashing the semantics of a year-old debate. It's becoming clear that the reality I denied was actually the case.

More from Sammy:

Watkins on EJ Manuel: "I think this game he's going to come in and light it up. ... He's going to have a monster game."

sad isn't it? still baffles me as a syracuse fan, i don't think any syracuse fan EVER saw that side of Marrone

It's really not worth rehashing the semantics of a year-old debate. It's becoming clear that the reality I denied was actually the case.

More from Sammy:

Watkins on EJ Manuel: "I think this game he's going to come in and light it up. ... He's going to have a monster game."

More from Sammy:

So how do we interpret that quote. Sammy let it slip that EJ will be starting or is he saying that if he starts he will have a good game?

CROW EATING TIME:

I've seen grown men cowed by a superior. Stunned like a deer in the headlights.

When everything that you've worked for...all your dreams and hopes are in the hands of someone that you know is incompetent, it deflates you terribly.

You may know that you're good, but no matter how hard you try, how well you do, the result will be YOU SUCK...

It's hard for a grown man to take, let alone a kid in his early twenties.

I think EJ is our future. Tyrod is our present...

GO BILLS!

So how do we interpret that quote. Sammy let it slip that EJ will be starting or is he saying that if he starts he will have a good game?

Hard to say, but I feel as though EJ will be playing. Taylor's game is largely predicated on his mobility, especially considering he is the run game is Shady and Karlos are still question marks.

Well good. I hope this works for EJ and he comes out like a beast on Sunday shredding the Cincy defense. :thumbsup:

Absolutely. Orton was at his best orchestrating the comeback drives at Detroit and against Minnesota (I guess both Jets games too). But, I mean, the way he ran the offense in total command was extremely different from the standard fare we saw even in those very games.

even EJ did better in hurry ups or situations where we heard the radios went out - which lead me to believe the chemistry wasnt working between coach and player. with marrone out of his head, he played his best.