Do we know which coaches wanted Cassel?

eball

So far the only thing I've actually heard or read were quotes from the QB coach (Lee) about how much Cassel helped "in the room" -- yet many of the local and national media continue to harp upon the notion that trading Cassel showed a huge lack of foresight by Whaley and is an example of dysfunction within the Bills' front office, since "some" in the organization wanted Cassel over Taylor and EJ.

Do we have anything specific from any other coach?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all speculation. There is no direct quote from any coach stating whom they prefer at QB, nor will there ever be. Rumors/speculation early on were Roman favored Cassel to run his offense, he never came out and said that, but that's what was "reported". Is it true? Maybe, maybe not, we'll never know. Hopefully EJ comes in and plays well for a game or 2. If we can just get to the bye at 4-3 at worst and then hopefully get our top guys back healthy after, it will be an exciting end to the season and this whole Cassel drama will be forgotten. GO BILLS....

I don't think anyone has ever said anything indicating a preference, but he was the second team QB while here, and Manuel was inactive. That's indicative of a preference, no?

As has been pointed out by others in a different thread: maybe/maybe not.

Cassel - as a vet with lots of game day experience - could probably run an offense no-notice better than EJ if TT got hurt in the course of a game.

That doesn't necessarily mean Cassel could run the offense better with a week of preparation under his belt.

In any case, watching the two in preseason, it would be hard to understand how any coach would have rated MC much higher than EJ. EJ played well in preseason. Cassel being listed as #2 might have been little more than a coin flip.

I haven't heard anything from the coaching staff that indicates who might have been adamant about keeping or starting MC.

Interestingly, both MC and EJ will have a chance to start this weekend. It will be on very different offenses of course but will still be fun to see who does better.

I don't think anyone has ever said anything indicating a preference, but he was the second team QB while here, and Manuel was inactive. That's indicative of a preference, no?

And then he was traded for almost nothing.

It's all speculation. There is no direct quote from any coach stating whom they prefer at QB, nor will there ever be. Rumors/speculation early on were Roman favored Cassel to run his offense, he never came out and said that, but that's what was "reported". Is it true? Maybe, maybe not, we'll never know. Hopefully EJ comes in and plays well for a game or 2. If we can just get to the bye at 4-3 at worst and then hopefully get our top guys back healthy after, it will be an exciting end to the season and this whole Cassel drama will be forgotten. GO BILLS....

I have to question those reports in hindsight. How much of that was confirmation bias for Cassel?

I have to question those reports in hindsight. How much of that was confirmation bias for Cassel?

In my view a lot. The way they ran the game time in pre-season said to me (and hey guys I am only "reading the tea leaves" here) that the coaches wanted to give TT and EJ every chance to beat Cassel out.

Every coach wanted Cassel. Whaley went rogue.

Duh.

This.

I have no quotes, but I heard on some video report (can't remember which site) that Roman wanted Cassel. This was to be starter, around the start of preseason, so I don't know how things changed by the time TT was named starter. And I'd like to believe that all coaches were impressed and comfortable with EJ's progress, making the trade agreeable.

We only know after he's fired that it was all the GMs fault..

The GM gets the players and the coaches coach the players. This isn't a revelation.

and they outright cut him for less...

Yep. And there was a greater chance he'd have left than come back, much less with a 50% paycut.

Sure. But a preference for what?

QB #2 job description:

1) Study the gameplan and work practice reps behind the #1.

2) Enter the game as a substitute for #1 sand run the offense after having had minimal practice reps during the week.

3) Start any of the games that the #1 is unable to.