Chris Mortensen: Matt Simms turned Bills down

No link since this was told as an aside on ESPN's NFL Insiders today. Mort said the Bills offered to sign Simms but he chose to remain on the Falcons practice squad. Josh Johnson was signed instead.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

No link since this was told as an aside on ESPN's NFL Insiders today. Mort said the Bills offered to sign Simms but he chose to remain on the Falcons practice squad. Josh Johnson was signed instead.

He said he thought he had a better future in Atlanta. most likely meant a better chance to gain a roster spot, the backup in ATL now is Sean Renfree...

I didn't know a player on one team's practice squad can decline an offer from another team, if a regular roster spot is offered. This is interesting. I don't blame him, BTW. He had all preseason to make a case to stay, and the coaches were not impressed enough to keep him around. Why would they like him more now, enough to keep him after TT is back to health?

To me it means that Matt Simms thinks the Bills have more faith in EJ Manuel after being here than the Falcons do in Sean Renfree after being there. I guess that is not saying much. But if Simms thought the Bills didn't have faith in EJ he very well may have signed back. That's just conjecture but a guy like Simms will almost always go to the place that gives him the best chance to start. He chose to stay on the PS as the #3 vs being on the active roster for two games or so (a much bigger paycheck).

He might have decided that the whole year on the PS puts him in better shape with the Falcons than having them forced to sign a guy in his absence.

Matt's clearly not too bright. Or perhaps he found a lady friend in Hotlanta.

Actually, he's very bright.

Why sign to be the third QB (who likely won't dress after this week and would be back on the practice squad when TTs knee heals) when he can stay put with a solid playoff caliber team with a shaky backup situation...

Why sign to be the third QB (who likely won't dress after this week and would be back on the practice squad when TTs knee heals) when he can stay put with a solid playoff caliber team with a shaky backup situation...

Again - I thought if you poached a guy he's on the 53 all season. Which is a several hundred thousand dollar difference if Atlanta doesn't bring him up.

Yea, once TT is back he would be gone, as will Josh whoever

He probably relishes the chance to be a backup of a star QB on a winning team, and learn the right way to do things

Again - I thought if you poached a guy he's on the 53 all season. Which is a several hundred thousand dollar difference if Atlanta doesn't bring him up.

Practice squad signees have to be added the active roster but are only guaranteed payment for three weeks, after which they can be cut. Since he still has PS eligibility, he could then be re-signed to the taxi squad...

have to carry him if poached off another PS

Only 3 weeks, I believe

Has to be a decent pay raise to get signed to the 53 man roster

Something like $20k per game. Practice squad is $6,600 per week, rookie minimum comes out to something around $26-27k per game.

Of course, nothing prevents a team from paying a player on the practice squad more $$, and some do

Matt's clearly not too bright. Or perhaps he found a lady friend in Hotlanta.

Why do you say that? I think he's smart enough to assess the situation. Tyrod playing well enough.... EJ solidly ahead of me... 3-2 team.

Red-hot Falcons...shaky backup QB....sounds like the potentially better opportunity here in Atlanta

I didn't know a player on one team's practice squad can decline an offer from another team, if a regular roster spot is offered.

Yep. It's somewhat uncommon because, as another player pointed out, it's typically a very substantial pay raise to move to the active roster. But no rule against it.

Edited by Hopeful