Bills Sign K Billy Cundiff & WR Denarius Moore; Cundiff Cut

Gay was only around to kick the ball deep or out of the end zone. He was erratic in that regard. Cundiff will give Carpenter a chance to get healthy.

I hope Cundiff is being brought in to give Carpenter a chance to get healthy. Carpenter has been erratic the preseason and four games. Cundiff has been erratic for the past four years.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess they are putting Carpenter on notice because Cundiff can do both kickoff and kicks and Gay is gone. But Cundiff doesn't strike me as ... How do I put this... "Good."

I don't think Thigpen was worth the roster spot, Denarius Moore is a better player IMO.

this!

I wish Rex would have not messed with Carpenters' head. You just don't do that to a kicker. These guys need to be kicking with a clear mind. It's a pressure job and they don't need to be psyched out by their own coach before the season starts. He's been a money kicker and I think it was the worst approach to take.

I get that tough defensive minded coaches think of kickers as necessary evils and have that thought that their not really football players - but when I thought of building a bully, I wasn't hoping for our own head coach to do that to our own kicker.

Thigpen shoulda been cut back in TC... Andre Davis was the better wideout, and had KR speed as well.... Dan Carpenter missed a few in MIA too... Probably Not the WORST kicker we could get, but still not that great.

More worried about the offense than the ST, to be honest... What's Nick O'leary been up to?... Could he be the 2nd TE for Sunday???

Edited by #34fan

Cundiff is insurance. Cutting Carpenter would be an emotional decision and the wrong one imo. There aren't enough long distance, accurate FG kickers. Dan might be having the yips right now but so do most kickers on occasion. Let him fight through it. He would be scooped up in a heartbeat if the Bills release him. If he misses a couple more 38 yard FGs this weekend then let's revisit.

Thigpen shoulda been cut back in TC... Andre Davis was the better wideout, and had KR speed as well.... Dan Carpenter missed a few in MIA too... Probably Not the WORST kicker we could get, but still not that great.

More worried about the offense than the ST, to be honest... What's Nick O'leary been up to?... Could he be the 2nd TE for Sunday???

Geez...you said you watched the preseason; did that guy look anything like an NFL player to you?

Cundiff couldn't make the Browns! New approach to building a team....pick off the scrap heap of other teams rejects. Is Dick Jauron back n town?

Current "scrap heap" players on the Bills: Tyrod Taylor, Kraig Urbik, Percy Harvin, Chris Hogan, Dan Carpenter, Stefan Charles, Corbin Bryant, Bacarri Rambo...yeah, I'd say we do okay with "scrap heap" guys.

Is Cundiff really better than Carpenter? Really?

Likely not, however, if you want to stop spending two roster spots on for kicking, maybe Cundiff is the best for BOTH functions in one roster spot. That is...Gay was the best kickoff, and couldn't placekick. Carpenter, apparently, can't kickoff.......but Cundiff might do both adequately, but non necessarily as well as either Carpenter or Gay. Anyhow, that is what I think is going on.

Interesting:

Kevin Massare ‏@KevinMassare 22h22 hours ago

Believe it our not, Cundiff is actually a good kickoff guy, for his weak long field goal %, he hits a touchback 65% of the time > Gay (61%)

I've also wondered if the ability to do an onside kick plays into it, because Gay has been horrendous in his few attempts.

I think this may fail to account for us purposely not kicking touchbacks. Gay could boom them high and a little short so we could force a return and have our coverage units take the runner down.

I think this may fail to account for us purposely not kicking touchbacks. Gay could boom them high and a little short so we could force a return and have our coverage units take the runner down.

I'd imagine cundiff has done that before too

And isn't his career much longer (i.e. Includes Pre rule change kicks?)

Edited by NoSaint

I thought Denarius Moore was on the verge of becoming a star in his rookie year...guy burned us for a long TD when he was with the Raiders in one of the back and forth Fitz comeback game...

Not sure what happened but I think he could be pretty good if he regains form...Lal was his WR coach with the Raiders...

I'd imagine cundiff has done that before too

And isn't his career much longer (i.e. Includes Pre rule change kicks?)

Fair enough. I just feel like that was often part of our plan, more so than I have seen with other teams. Gay did a really good job at it. Of course, when over coverage units stink it doesn't matter.