Who's going to be the first coach fired this year?

BmarvB

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philbin. If the Jets bully them all the way around Wembley at the weekend and I think they might.... and they lose in anything other than a close one I think they could fire him during the bye week. Question is who do they put in? There is no obvious answer on a pretty no-name staff. Maybe Bill Lazor?

Can teams still do what the Bills did with Marv and bring someone from the outside in mid-season? Jim Schwartz's style of discipline and motivation might be a better fit for that organisation than Philbin and of course he has history using their big expensive new toy properly.....

Yeah I knew I had spelled Gailey wrong (hey was only off one letter) and you're right too it was Jauron. But I will stick to my original comment he wasn't fired, he walked away as he was informed he would not be back for the following season. He didn't want tocoach as a lamb duck, so walked away, I'm sure will full season of pay and the rest of of his contract as being fired.

Not sure who Cahn Galey is, but Coach Gailey was fired at the end of the season. Perhaps you are thinking of Coach Jauron who was fired after 9 games?

I think any team that signs Roman to a HC contract will be making a huge mistake. Richie I was quoted the other day as saying he's never been on a team with as complex of a running game as the Bill's have, I've heard/read other similar comments with regards to Roman. To me, that does NOT make for a good HC as when he's in a HC position he won't have anywhere near the time to get into that level of detail. And if he did, he wouldn't have time for other things such as being a motivator which to me is far more important as the HC to motivate than to be strategic. He seems way to technical to be an effective HC. Technical people look at things logically which usually does not fit well with motivating, granted there are some exceptions, but not many. Likely based on how the NFL works he will get a HC gig, but whatever team offers it will likely regret it 2 or 3 years down the road.

roman is going wherever rg3 goes I think. He's got a great mind and could turn rg3 around methinks. Unfortunately that means we lose him but Rex can find a guy.

Philbin.

Pettine and Tomsula getting a dishonorable mention.

This is the right list.

Caldwell if Detroit gets smoked, they will, in Seattle. Philbin is next. Fox is safe in Chicago now that they decided to rebuild.

This is Fox's first season with a team everyone knew was crap for heaven's sake - of course he's safe!!!

The guy is 3 games into his first season on a team that lost 1/2 it's entire starting roster it seems to retirement and FA. They have to give him a bit of slack, no?

One would think so but back to back losses of 43-18 and 47-7. The owner and GM so badly botched Harbaugh leaving and then promoting a defensive line coach over the defensive coordinator Fangio that I wouldn't be surprised by anything.

Philbin- he's had 3+ years and the team continues to underachieve despite all of the player moves made.

Yeah I knew I had spelled Gailey wrong (hey was only off one letter) and you're right too it was Jauron. But I will stick to my original comment he wasn't fired, he walked away as he was informed he would not be back for the following season. He didn't want tocoach as a lamb duck, so walked away, I'm sure will full season of pay and the rest of of his contract as being fired.

I think any team that signs Roman to a HC contract will be making a huge mistake. Richie I was quoted the other day as saying he's never been on a team with as complex of a running game as the Bill's have, I've heard/read other similar comments with regards to Roman. To me, that does NOT make for a good HC as when he's in a HC position he won't have anywhere near the time to get into that level of detail. And if he did, he wouldn't have time for other things such as being a motivator which to me is far more important as the HC to motivate than to be strategic. He seems way to technical to be an effective HC. Technical people look at things logically which usually does not fit well with motivating, granted there are some exceptions, but not many. Likely based on how the NFL works he will get a HC gig, but whatever team offers it will likely regret it 2 or 3 years down the road.

You know another person who is so technically involved in an offense it borders on ridiculous. Jon Gruden is very much like that, as his offensive play books are enormous, and he wants his QB's to learn and know every play in it. So that in any given situation he can bring up some obscure play that nobody knows or remembers and run it. Probably why he really only had great success with the Raiders, and veteran QB Rich Gannon who was in his 12th season, and on his fourth team.

Yeah he was another one. Been awhile now, but weren't the Raiders kind of a surprise, came out of nowhere, one year wonder, then fell back to earth? In Tampa he won with Dungy's players and rather quickly fell out of love down there.

Roman is great at what he does, but would be very surprised if a guy like him could translate it into being a great HC too.

You know another person who is so technically involved in an offense it borders on ridiculous. Jon Gruden is very much like that, as his offensive play books are enormous, and he wants his QB's to learn and know every play in it. So that in any given situation he can bring up some obscure play that nobody knows or remembers and run it. Probably why he really only had great success with the Raiders, and veteran QB Rich Gannon who was in his 12th season, and on his fourth team.

Yeah, I honestly think Philbin is on the hot seat. For all of those years of "winning free agency", he's never had a winning season and the Phins look dreadful out of the gate.

Tommy in SF and Pettine may have weaker squads, but neither of them are at fault for that. Pettine is a solid coach, who happened to be stuck with an abysmal GM.

Philbin sucking is all on Philbin.

So sick of Chip. He boasts of "sports science" after trading for a QB that moves like an 80 year old

Kelly is exhibiting the behavior of a coach who spent ZERO time in the NFL before becoming the top guy. He simply doesn't seem to respect or appreciate talent--he think's it is all about him. It is my major concern with hiring head coaches straight out of college, when they have no NFL experience. Dealing with MEN, who make a lot of money, instead of boys who you have for 2-3 years is a big difference. At least if he was an OC in the NFL for a short time, he would get acclimated.

And if Irsay had half a sober brain he'd fire the GM and make Pagano happy. But he's likely to fire Chuck---and eventually Grigson, too.

Kelly is exhibiting the behavior of a coach who spent ZERO time in the NFL before becoming the top guy. He simply doesn't seem to respect or appreciate talent--he think's it is all about him. It is my major concern with hiring head coaches straight out of college, when they have no NFL experience. Dealing with MEN, who make a lot of money, instead of boys who you have for 2-3 years is a big difference. At least if he was an OC in the NFL for a short time, he would get acclimated.

And if Irsay had half a sober brain he'd fire the GM and make Pagano happy. But he's likely to fire Chuck---and eventually Grigson, too.

The sad thing is, I think Chip Kelly might be a brilliant Offensive Coordinator. For his first two years, I saw some really clever play designs and I think there is a reason he put up some gaudy numbers.

But Jesus, the man is not a GM. I'm not even counting the fact that maybe one player he's drafted is making some kind of impact. It's the fact that he forced the GM at the time to cut DJax for nothing but dead cap space. Trading Shady, a superstar running back for an injury prone LB who had one good rookie season before an ACL. Not bringing Maclin back. Cutting solid vets who had modest to large salary cap hits.

And that could have been forgiven.

Cutting Evan Mathis, Pro Bowl guard, because Mathis wanted a restructure and sat out of the optional, OPTIONAL, OTAs. When Mathis had zero leverage on the deal.

Trading Boykin, a solid slot corner (we know how important Robey is, without a doubt!) is traded, because Boykin hoped to move to outside corner. News flash: you don't have to do that. Impress the importance of slot coverage in an increasingly pass based league. Coach him up.

Chip Kelly; Decent Coach. Sh*t GM.

The sad thing is, I think Chip Kelly might be a brilliant Offensive Coordinator. For his first two years, I saw some really clever play designs and I think there is a reason he put up some gaudy numbers.

But Jesus, the man is not a GM. I'm not even counting the fact that maybe one player he's drafted is making some kind of impact. It's the fact that he forced the GM at the time to cut DJax for nothing but dead cap space. Trading Shady, a superstar running back for an injury prone LB who had one good rookie season before an ACL. Not bringing Maclin back. Cutting solid vets who had modest to large salary cap hits.

And that could have been forgiven.

Cutting Evan Mathis, Pro Bowl guard, because Mathis wanted a restructure and sat out of the optional, OPTIONAL, OTAs. When Mathis had zero leverage on the deal.

Trading Boykin, a solid slot corner (we know how important Robey is, without a doubt!) is traded, because Boykin hoped to move to outside corner. News flash: you don't have to do that. Impress the importance of slot coverage in an increasingly pass based league. Coach him up.

Chip Kelly; Decent Coach. Sh*t GM.

In some ways this goes hand-in-hand with the inexperience of the guy straight from college. He thinks he can do EVERYTHING better than guys who have been doing it for years. That isn't to say some guys with NFL experience don't make that same mistake.