Spiller M.I.A. in New Orleans

BuffaloBill

Without comparing him to backs, or giving any per touch info- how's one supposed to know if he's excellent or not was my entire point. It comes across as using a slanted stay to achieve a goal, and not as presenting an accurate picture that others can judge on their own.

NFL.com doesn't do those categories by position, IIRC.

2011-2013:

CJ - 516 att, 2738 yds, 5.3 ypa

LM - 787 att, 3756 yds, 4.8 ypa

This is with CJ splitting time with FJ.

Admittedly, 2014, CJ did a whole lot of nothing due to injury (and even worse scheme/blocking), but again.. it's hard to argue that CJ isn't a pretty good running back. So to me, something is going on either with him, or the team, for him to not be used at all in NO. Its not like CJ is old, either.

It's also with McCoy missing time due to injury.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without comparing him to backs, or giving any per touch info- how's one supposed to know if he's excellent or not was my entire point. It comes across as using a slanted stay to achieve a goal, and not as presenting an accurate picture that others can judge on their own.

Fine. Ask and ye shall receive.

5th in receiving yards among RB's

T-3 in receiving TD's with five other players.

Nobody's saying these numbers aren't. They are, however, arguing vehemently that they're not great.

What time did CJ miss in 2011 - 2013? 1 game? Vs. McCoy who missed 5 in that time?

What's next, comparing Trent's 2008 campaign to Brady's?

You're quickly jumping the shark. Again, I've said that McCoy is the better player. But at the same time CJ has been very productive when on the field, other than the last year, so to me either something is up with him, or the team. You don't average 5+ypa over the course of three seasons without talent imo.

What time did CJ miss in 2011 - 2013? 1 game? Vs. McCoy who missed 5 in that time?

I had promised myself that I was going to stay away from this thread after posting earlier, but your post pulled me back in -- momentarily.

Your mention of 2013 -- without mentioning the fact that the guy actually tried to tough it out playing with a high ankle sprain when he should not have been trying to play at all -- amply demonstrates your bias against CJ.

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?!?

Edited by Peter

Fine. Ask and ye shall receive.

5th in receiving yards among RB's

T-3 in receiving TD's with five other players.

Nobody's saying these numbers aren't. They are, however, arguing vehemently that they're not great.

much thanks. I think those give a much more accurate picture.

For a back that was 22nd in carries and 10th in receptions among backs (98th overall), to be in that top 5 cumulative really underscores how productive he was. his cumulative stats consistently outrank his touches in all the categories you highlighted - literally every metric of yardage and scoring had him doing more with less touches.

ill be the first to say he has not consistently made the most of his opportunities, for a variety of reasons including his own faults surely -- but he has elite talent when things come together. even without them consistently coming together hes been a good player, albeit not living up to his potential.

Edited by NoSaint

I had promised myself that I was going to stay away from this thread after posting earlier, but your post pulled me back in -- momentarily.

Your mention of 2013 -- without mentioning the fact that the guy actually tried to tough it out playing with a high ankle sprain when he should not have been trying to play at all -- amply demonstrates your bias against CJ.

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?!?

Because it was already mentioned, chico.

Pull out, pull out!

You're quickly jumping the shark. Again, I've said that McCoy is the better player. But at the same time CJ has been very productive when on the field, other than the last year, so to me either something is up with him, or the team. You don't average 5+ypa over the course of three seasons without talent imo.

CJ seems to struggle to get on the field quite a bit. Couldn't beat out the old man. Can't get on the field in NO.

To me, if I take a step back and look at CJ's whole career, him averaging 5+ YPA over three seasons doesn't impress me when it's one great year, and two not so great ones (and then a terrible one). It's like Stafford, yeah he had that one great year where you could say he averaged 28 TD's over 4 years, but he had 29 20 and 22 in the other three. It begins to look like an outlier, or a "everything went his way" year.

Which, again, isn't nothing, Most players don't even have that year to fall back on. But when do you step back and say it was an outlier?

Pull out, pull out!

Just not in your criticism of 2013 and your BS comment about him only missing one game - when he actually was trying to tough it out playing with a high ankle sprain.

As for pulling out . . . Chico . . . I will keep my response to myself given that this is a family friendly board.

Just not in your criticism of 2013 and your BS comment about him only missing one game - when he actually was trying to tough it out playing with a high ankle sprain.

As for pulling out . . . Chico . . . I will keep my response to myself given that this is a family friendly board.

Stick around so we can talk about the games he took over and won for us.

I'll start:

Your turn! ;):)

Edited by Bill from NYC

It was in the post I quoted. Do I have to repeat every comment I quote?

Pull out, pull out!

CJ seems to struggle to get on the field quite a bit. Couldn't beat out the old man. Can't get on the field in NO.

To me, if I take a step back and look at CJ's whole career, him averaging 5+ YPA over three seasons doesn't impress me when it's one great year, and two not so great ones (and then a terrible one). It's like Stafford, yeah he had that one great year where you could say he averaged 28 TD's over 4 years, but he had 29 20 and 22 in the other three. It begins to look like an outlier, or a "everything went his way" year.

Which, again, isn't nothing, Most players don't even have that year to fall back on. But when do you step back and say it was an outlier?

2011, 7th in YPA; 2012, T1st in YPA; 2013, 10th in YPA... so even the two 'bad' years in that set of three, put him in good company. CJ's a talented player when healthy and in the right situation. I don't see why this is controversial to state. And I don't see why it's a problem to expect him to have similar success in NO, and to be confused as to why it's not happening.

I'll make this my last post on the subject.

It was in the post I quoted. Do I have to repeat every comment I quote?

Posted Today, 01:21 PM

Dorkington, on 29 Sept 2015 - 1:19 PM, said:snapback.png

It's also with CJ missing time/being hobbled multiple games. **** happens with RBs.

2011, 7th in YPA; 2012, T1st in YPA; 2013, 10th in YPA... so even the two 'bad' years in that set of three, put him in good company. CJ's a talented player when healthy and in the right situation. I don't see why this is controversial to state. And I don't see why it's a problem to expect him to have similar success in NO, and to be confused as to why it's not happening.

I'll make this my last post on the subject.

It's not a problem, I just have a conflicting opinion. No worries. He isn't a Bill anymore, so it's of no consequence.

CJ Spiller is a good football player with games where he can be excellent. Unfortunately he has durability issues. In the end, he wasnt worth the draft slot we used on him.

That being said, he's still certainly capable of having an excellent season so he'll continue to be coveted by some NFL teams.

Seems like a great guy. I always liked him.

2011-2013:

CJ - 516 att, 2738 yds, 5.3 ypa

LM - 787 att, 3756 yds, 4.8 ypa

This is with CJ splitting time with FJ.

Admittedly, 2014, CJ did a whole lot of nothing due to injury (and even worse scheme/blocking), but again.. it's hard to argue that CJ isn't a pretty good running back. So to me, something is going on either with him, or the team, for him to not be used at all in NO. Its not like CJ is old, either.

I think CJ is a great change of pace back, but he is a change of pace back. He's never been the primary runner for a full season. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'd have to disagree that he could be the primary back and have success beyond a few games at most.

Sorry, but this is a false equivalent of the most outrageous kind.

McCoy has struggled through three games. It's not even remotely hypocritical to have patience with him and not with Spiller. Why?

Well, geeze, let's see, since 2010:

McCoy has played in 77 games, has 6,301 rushing yards, 40 rushing TD's, 2,057 rec yards and 11 rec TD's.

Spiller has played in 72 games, has 3,332 rushing yards, 12 rushing TD's, 1, 236 rec yards and 6 rec TD's.

Yeah, I'd say McCoy has earned the longer leash. Why? Well, because I've been saying over and over and over and over again in this thread, unlike Spiller, he's actually DONE something in the league.

You forgot a stat.

Spiller - 672 carries, 205 pass targets

McCoy - 1,349 carries, 338 pass targets

McCoy is clearly the better RB, but the picture you painted is incomplete, and seems manipulated to show comparable attempts/targets. An argument could be made that CJ didn't deserve more carries/attempts but it still should be disclosed.

That said, what is with the told ya so? the guy just had knee surgery, just came back, and had 4 total carries, and 3 targets over 2 games. They are obviously bringing him back slow.

Edited by What a Tuel

You forgot a stat.

Spiller - 672 carries, 205 pass targets

McCoy - 1,349 carries, 338 pass targets

McCoy is clearly the better RB, but the picture you painted is incomplete, and seems manipulated to show comparable attempts/targets. An argument could be made that CJ didn't deserve more carries/attempts but it still should be disclosed.

That said, what is with the told ya so? the guy just had knee surgery, just came back, and had 4 total carries, and 3 targets over 2 games. They are obviously bringing him back slow.

I'm not sure how NOT being a prolific player in the league is cause for celebration, but fine.

And, okay. We'll just keep waiting.

Spiller is probably still learning the terminology, playbook and other players numbers. :o

He is just coming off an injury but I don't see him being a big factor in the offense until later in the season...if at all this year.

The Saints were foolish to let Jimmy Graham, Darren Sproles leave.

CJ Spiller is a good football player with games where he can be excellent. Unfortunately he has durability issues. In the end, he wasnt worth the draft slot we used on him.

That's the long and the short of it. It's pretty clear he wasn't psychically capable of carrying the load (20+ carries) week in and week out. And that's why there's no comparison to McCoy.

As Bill said above, it was another stupid first round draft pick from the old regimes that screwed it up every year. I don't wish him ill, but I'm certainly glad the Bills are no longer spending millions on him.

That's the long and the short of it. It's pretty clear he wasn't psychically capable of carrying the load (20+ carries) week in and week out. And that's why there's no comparison to McCoy.

As Bill said above, it was another stupid first round draft pick from the old regimes that screwed it up every year. I don't wish him ill, but I'm certainly glad the Bills are no longer spending millions on him.

He was a nix pick, who assembled a lot of our talent including our current GM - wasn't he?

And we also allegedly offered him a pretty good payday back on February under this regime

So I'm not sure your post hit the mark like you intended

He was a nix pick, who assembled a lot of our talent including our current GM - wasn't he?

And we also allegedly offered him a pretty good payday back on February under this regime

I think that his post was on point. Spiller was a stupid draft pick regardless of who selected him. The fact that he was offered a big contract IS a concern. Whaley was very lucky that he did not accept it. And so are we as Bills Fans.

Seriously. Thank god for that McCoy deal.

i dont know that the two hackett/marrone fans are the best to be leading a victory lap on anything related to offensive production

That's a gross misrepresentation and you damn well know it.

My contention was and always is: if you don't have the Joe's, don't B word about the X's and O's.

Hating Hackett/Marrone is all the rage in Bills Nation and for good reason. And loving Roman is just as much en vogue right now.

But jeebus: Tyrod, Karlos, McCoy, Incognito, Felton, Clay and Harvin: what do all these players have in common? They're the most integral members of our offense right now...and they're brand new to the team. They represent considerable upgrades at nearly half of the offense, so don't anyone sit there with a straight face and tell me the unit is better now simply because we ditched Hackett/Marrone.

That pick was all Chan Gailey, and him wanting his "waterbug" type player. Probably because he saw the talent in the kid firsthand during his HC college days at Georgia Tech. Spiller at Clemson (2006-2009) was the ACC offensive player of the year in 2009. Naturally Nix wanted to give his new hire as HC the players he wanted.

Gailey also came into Buffalo spouting to the FO that he didn't need superstars on offense to win games, and could get it done with average players. (perhaps "average" meaning less expensive) The man might have been a bit more successful in Buffalo if he knew who to hire as his DC. JMHO

But yea, I'm darn glad he is a Saint now!

That's a gross misrepresentation and you damn well know it.

My contention was and always is: if you don't have the Joe's, don't B word about the X's and O's.

Hating Hackett/Marrone is all the rage in Bills Nation and for good reason. And loving Roman is just as much en vogue right now.

But jeebus: Tyrod, Karlos, McCoy, Incognito, Felton, Clay and Harvin: what do all these players have in common? They're the most integral members of our offense right now...and they're brand new to the team. They represent considerable upgrades at nearly half of the offense, so don't anyone sit there with a straight face and tell me the unit is better now simply because we ditched Hackett/Marrone.

While a lot of this is true, guys are running free all over the field. That's scheme, it's a combination of players and coaching. Edited by Kirby Jackson

While a lot of this is true guys are running free all over the field. That's scheme, it's a combination of players and coaching.

They were last year too. All-22's showed Sammy/Woods in giant gaps all over the field.

But to the larger point, nowhere did I mean to imply that Roman doesn't have SOMETHING to do with the improvement.

CJ is a speed runner that needs space. What hurt him was not having an accurate QB who can provide him the swing pass and short drops that he could take it to the house. We can't compare him for a North-South type runner and he never was.

While a lot of this is true, guys are running free all over the field. That's scheme, it's a combination of players and coaching.

Yea heaven forbid we use formations, and motion to create favorable and successful matchups. The players are better but they are also being put in better positions to succeed.