Spiller M.I.A. in New Orleans

BuffaloBill

Did Payton really say "I got to..." twice in that interview, or is it just really crappy writing?

He said "gotta," which of course is a common slang or colloquialism that does not transcribe well when you are trying to be a professional journalist.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2011 never happened. Just block it all out folks.

He wasn't borderline MVP or anything. Then he got hurt. Can't act like he's as bad as yall say.

First, it was 2012. Second, borderline MVP? The year AP hung 2G's? No.

Third, MVP of what? He was:

8th in rushing yards

17th in rushing TD's

44th in receiving yards

45-T in receiving TD's

5th in total yards from scrimmage

17th in total TD's

So there you have it. CJ's one glorious year, characterized here as "borderline MVP" when his most sterling career accomplishment to date was being 5th in the NFL in total yards from scrimmage.

Here we are in year six being told what a phenomenal player he is when his best season--and it was his best season by a friggin mile--wasn't, by any rational measure, special.

8th in rushing yards

17th in rushing TD's

44th in receiving yards

45-T in receiving TD's

17th in total TD's

So there you have it. CJ's one glorious year, characterized here as "borderline MVP" when his most sterling career accomplishment to date was being 5th in the NFL in total yards from scrimmage.

Here we are in year six being told what a phenomenal player he is when his best season--and it was his best season by a friggin mile--wasn't, by any rational measure, special.

Don't let facts discolor the perception, that's not fun.

If McCoy came to the Bills and CJ went to the Eagles at about the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if one's opinion of CJ was higher, and of McCoy lower... that's not me pushing CJ as great, nor is it me shitting on McCoy... just that both players went to different systems and had different conditions. My point is, they are similarly skilled players, McCoy is better, but CJ is pretty good, himself. CJ didn't work in Marrone's system AT ALL, but worked pretty damned well in Chan's system. McCoy has had varying levels of success depending on the system, and his health as well. Not really sure why you're getting so worked up about my opinion on the subject, Big C The Big Cat. Small, fast, elusive runners, more often than not depend on health, a certain sort of system, and a certain amount of line talent, to be successful. We saw that with CJ, and we're seeing that with McCoy to a lesser extent.

Edited by Dorkington

If McCoy came to the Bills and CJ went to the Eagles at about the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if one's opinion of CJ was higher, and of McCoy lower... that's not me pushing CJ as great, nor is it me shitting on McCoy... just that both players went to different systems and had different conditions. My point is, they are similarly skilled players, McCoy is better, but CJ is pretty good, himself. CJ didn't work in Marrone's system AT ALL, but worked pretty damned well in Chan's system. McCoy has had varying levels of success depending on the system, and his health as well. Not really sure why you're getting so worked up about my opinion on the subject, Big C. Small, fast, elusive runners, more often than not depend on a certain sort of system, and a certain amount of line talent, to be successful.

Fine. Having to sidestep into a parallel universe is often the best way to understand the depth of Spiller's greatness.

8th in rushing yards

17th in rushing TD's

44th in receiving yards

45-T in receiving TD's

17th in total TD's

MVP talk is a bit much, I'll agree-

But let's atleast be real in the discussion and acknowledge that it was among the best of the very best on a per touch basis.

Throwing out that he's 44th in receiving yards also just comes across as disingenuous. Sure it's accurate but when do we ever compare backs to receivers in receiving yards?

Fine. Having to sidestep into a parallel universe is often the best way to understand the depth of Spiller's greatness.

Where did I say Spiller is great? O.o

Spiller is a good player, who is very productive when his health is there, and the scheme/talent suits him. McCoy is a very good player, who is very productive when his health is there, and the scheme/talent suits him. Both struggle when they have health issues, or the scheme is 'power' running with a suspect OL.

Jesus man.

Edited by Dorkington

If McCoy came to the Bills and CJ went to the Eagles at about the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if one's opinion of CJ was higher, and of McCoy lower... that's not me pushing CJ as great, nor is it me shitting on McCoy... just that both players went to different systems and had different conditions. My point is, they are similarly skilled players, McCoy is better, but CJ is pretty good, himself. CJ didn't work in Marrone's system AT ALL, but worked pretty damned well in Chan's system. McCoy has had varying levels of success depending on the system, and his health as well. Not really sure why you're getting so worked up about my opinion on the subject, Big C. Small, fast, elusive runners, more often than not depend on health, a certain sort of system, and a certain amount of line talent, to be successful. We saw that with CJ, and we're seeing that with McCoy to a lesser extent.

But CJ finally got to a system that was supposed to make him look good again and he's still MIA.

thats not why they traded jimmy. they are worse off in the cap because of it.

they traded jimmy because he essentially stopped blocking in the running game, and was a malcontent in the locker room. theres already rumors out of seattle that hes unhappy with his role, and they arent thrilled with his efforts - though i saw he scored a td this week, which may soften the frustration.

Hmm, thought it was for cap reasons. Oh well.

But CJ finally got to a system that was supposed to make him look good again and he's still MIA.

Yup.

But, it's not 'still MIA', he's even less productive now than when with Marrone and the hapless offense we ran. So this is weird. Either he's in the dog house, or still injured, or they are really dumb.

Yup.

But, it's not 'still MIA', he's even less productive now than when with Marrone and the hapless offense we ran. So this is weird. Either he's in the dog house, or still injured, or they are really dumb.

Or he has been back just 2 weeks and they also have two other productive backs in Ingram and Robinson. We will see with time - maybe he flops, more than likely you see ups and downs like bush had there.

MVP talk is a bit much, I'll agree-

But let's atleast be real in the discussion and acknowledge that it was among the best of the very best on a per touch basis.

Throwing out that he's 44th in receiving yards also just comes across as disingenuous. Sure it's accurate but when do we ever compare backs to receivers in receiving yards?

I lopped in receiving yards so that the category couldn't be misconstrued or argued as a matter of excellence.

You truly think CJ is that bad?

The bad performances far outnumber the good ones. So, if you put a gun to my head and asked 'is he good or is he bad?' I'd have to go with the what the numbers tell me.

Ok ok he wasn't an mvp. He only had games with 100 plus yards rushing at halftime with no carries second half.

Carry on and diminish his accomplishments. Anyone with one eye can tell he was the breasts.

So he was running too hard in the first half and was too winded to play in the 2nd half?

Ok ok he wasn't an mvp. He only had games with 100 plus yards rushing at halftime with no carries second half.

Carry on and diminish his accomplishments. Anyone with one eye can tell he was the breasts.

He had a good to great year. He just couldn't ever come close to replicating it.

I lopped in receiving yards so that the category couldn't be misconstrued or argued as a matter of excellence.

Without comparing him to backs, or giving any per touch info- how's one supposed to know if he's excellent or not was my entire point. It comes across as using a slanted stay to achieve a goal, and not as presenting an accurate picture that others can judge on their own.

2011-2013:

CJ - 516 att, 2738 yds, 5.3 ypa

LM - 787 att, 3756 yds, 4.8 ypa

This is with CJ splitting time with FJ.

Admittedly, 2014, CJ did a whole lot of nothing due to injury (and even worse scheme/blocking), but again.. it's hard to argue that CJ isn't a pretty good running back. So to me, something is going on either with him, or the team, for him to not be used at all in NO. Its not like CJ is old, either.