Automotive Question- Needs some Advice

B-Large

We have a Honda CRV 2003 with 175,000 miles on it. As I was driving today the transmission slipped and never came back to work, my guess, rebuild in the near future, $2500. So the question is, rebuild or cut bait?

We don't drive that much, we have one car, and I have always been of the mindset of repairing as a better fiscal option to buying another vehicle either used or new- at the end of the day, drive it till it falls apart. I take excellent care of vehicles, part of the reason why they tend to last a long time..

So, repair or move on? The rebuild comes warranted, and and we're already saving a bunch by ditching our other vehicle.

Give me your thoughts.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say rebuild.

what's your thought process on it

Whenever a car repair question comes up, I always ask myself if there is a better vehicle available that is worth less than the repair.

Usually correlates with the repair costing more than the trade-in value.

I guess it's relative. I have a family member who has a Camry, 90k they want to sell for 3500... But you are getting another unknown, but history suggest a good value in that vehicle. I feel like either way with cars you lose, it's just how quickly and how much...

We have a Honda CRV 2003 with 175,000 miles on it. As I was driving today the transmission slipped and never came back to work, my guess, rebuild in the near future, $2500. So the question is, rebuild or cut bait?

We don't drive that much, we have one car, and I have always been of the mindset of repairing as a better fiscal option to buying another vehicle either used or new- at the end of the day, drive it till it falls apart. I take excellent care of vehicles, part of the reason why they tend to last a long time..

So, repair or move on? The rebuild comes warranted, and and we're already saving a bunch by ditching our other vehicle.

Give me your thoughts.

Well, on the one hand, a new car takes maybe 20-25% depreciation when you drive it off the lot. On the other hand, a new transmission in a 2003 CRV takes 100% depreciation when you install it.

But in dollar amounts, that's $8000 vs. $2500. And if you get even 50k miles out of that transmission, it probably becomes more like $12,000-$15,000 vs. $2500. And that's not including financing cost.

And if you want to consider environmental impact...a new car may be half as polluting, but when you factor in the environmental footprint of manufacturing and disposal, replacing your car with a new one is probably 3-4 times more polluting than fixing the transmission (a gently used car, probably more like 2 times).

It probably makes better sense to replace the transmission, provided nothing else goes wrong with the car.

$2500.00 seems high for a rebuild. Should be able to have done for about $1800. That said, no way I would rebuild a tranny in a car that's 12 years old with 175K miles. More repairs are definitely in your future after that many miles whether the car has been in Buffalo or Florida. I'm sure someone will be willing to buy the car as is for a minimum of $500 for parts (it's a Honda). Apply the money you are saving and get from the sale towards another Honda or Toyota.

Edited by DDD

That said, no way I would rebuild a tranny in a car that's 12 years old with 175K miles. More repairs are definitely in your future after that many miles whether the car has been in Buffalo or Florida. .

^this

Buy another char

And if you want to consider environmental impact...a new car may be half as polluting, but when you factor in the environmental footprint of manufacturing and disposal, replacing your car with a new one is probably 3-4 times more polluting than fixing the transmission (a gently used car, probably more like 2 times).

But buying that low emissions vehicle lets you feel all smug and you get to tell people that you're not part of the problem, you're part of the solution

I need tires on my 2013 truck. Looking at buying a new one instead of replacing tires .2 years 1 month old 38,000 miles on it.

Do the repair if you can not afford a new car and payments. How long before other stuff goes and you put mor money into it?

i just tend to keep my cars for a long time. I would look at it as $2500 now, say another 1000 or so next 3 years in repairs. $100 a month.... What else can you get for that amount?

I just put $1000 into my 2007 yukon with close to 200k on it, hope to have for another 3 to 4 years... Much to my wife's chagrin.

$2500.00 seems high for a rebuild. Should be able to have done for about $1800. That said, no way I would rebuild a tranny in a car that's 12 years old with 175K miles. More repairs are definitely in your future after that many miles whether the car has been in Buffalo or Florida. I'm sure someone will be willing to buy the car as is for a minimum of $500 for parts (it's a Honda). Apply the money you are saving and get from the sale towards another Honda or Toyota.

This is my line of thinking. Where does it end? It seems that after the transmission is fixed, other very costly repairs are likely to follow. I would get rid of it and buy another inexpensive used Honda/Toyota with 60-70K miles.

I just finished paying off my car, and I am going to drive it until the wheels fall off (hopefully not on the highway).

Someone told me once: Don't ever keep a car too long

What if he buys a VW diesel?

Edited by meazza

I expect 200,000 out of Hondas and Toyotas, 150,000 out of everything else. Biggest questions to ask are the condition of the engine and suspension and what work has been done? The more the better, if you've kept up the maintenance schedule, great. The other big factor with a 12 year old vehicle is the exhaust. That goes 700-$2000 unless you get the cheap steel installed which typically only lasts a year. At this point holes could develop at any time.

I could also bore you with a long list of potential engine work if you haven't kept up maintenance.

On the other hand, few if any dealers will want to give you any kind of trade in value for it so you may be better off fixing it if still in good shape. My key is what's been done to it already, engine oil consumption/leaks. I just junked my 05 Malibu with 220,000 miles and enjoy getting max use out of vehicles but would be very skeptical to put that much money in if I was in your situation.