Bills Trade Cassel to Cowboys

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly you've never observed management that knows their jobs are frequently on the line if decisions they've made are not good enough.

obviously trading for value he would never get to use is the right course of action, instead of simply creating the best roster he can.

Clearly you've never observed management that knows their jobs are frequently on the line if decisions they've made are not good enough.

Clearly, we've all observed your posting pattern throughout the years and the Bills could create an android replica of Joe Montana in his prime and you would still find a way to whine about it.

I can observe but I try not to fabricate situations because they fit my subjective opinion. I try to be as objective as I can be with things I don't know about.

Clearly, we've all observed your posting pattern throughout the years and the Bills could create an android replica of Joe Montana in his prime and you would still find a way to whine about it.

Is criticism and skepticism warranted when a GM has produced 2 teams which combined to go 15-17? Because if you want to debate, I will. OTOH, using hypothetical arguments I don't much care for.

I remember in 2008 then-GM Russ Brandon was adamant about keeping Losman after Edwards had become the starter. Brandon's contention then was that retaining a backup was necessary because QB injuries occur:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d807cc3d5/printable/despite-trade-request-bills-anticipate-keeping-losman

Why then is that same sentiment not applicable? Do the Bills have a veteran backup the coaching staff believes can play in a short stretch?

And why would a team in win-now mode trade a backup QB for future assets which don't help in 2015.

Boy oh boy, do the local media have their collective panties in a wad over this Cassel trade. Some are saying the coaches "clearly" preferred Cassel and therefore implying Whaley is going rogue again to protect his boy EJ.

I think Rex handled it well in the PC -- they can win with EJ if needed and he'll continue to develop better as a 2.

Boy oh boy, do the local media have their collective panties in a wad over this Cassel trade. Some are saying the coaches "clearly" preferred Cassel and therefore implying Whaley is going rogue again to protect his boy EJ.

I think Rex handled it well in the PC -- they can win with EJ if needed and he'll continue to develop better as a 2.

Buffalo Bills Verified account @buffalobills 14m14 minutes ago

"Doug Whaley doesn't act out as a rogue guy, which has been reported. Decisions are made by the organization."

@buffalobills

Rex on #BUFvsMIA: "Everyone knows what we're up against. This is going to be a dog fight. We'll be prepared."

Rex on bouncing back: "Shoot, we started to bounce back in the 4th quarter of last game. We'll keep that going."

"If we didn't think the Cassel deal was in the best interest of our team, it wouldn't have been done."

"Doug Whaley doesn't act out as a rogue guy, which has been reported. Decisions are made by the organization."

Rex: LeSean McCoy and Percy Harvin won't be full go today, just conditioning, to get ready for Sunday.

CPmIpz1VAAA2EaD.jpg

@ChrisBrownBills

Rex - we started our bounce back from loss to Pats in 4th qtr of that game. We know task at hand this wk. #Bills

Rex - Aaron Williams won't practice today. Percy Harvin another rest day for Wednesday. #Bills

@AdamBenigni

#Bills Rex Ryan on Cassel trade: "It's not a shot at Matt.. he did a terrific job... so did EJ." @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan: "This was done much more on how we view EJ Manuel than Matt Cassel." @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan: "We think EJ will develop more as the two." @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan: "We were not shopping Matt... somebody contacts you and that's when the dialogue starts." @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan: "What makes your team better is being able to look past the present" on Cassel trade to Cowboys. @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan: "We think we can contend with EJ Manuel as well" if they were to lose Taylor to injury. @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan: "What makes your team better is being able to look past the present" on Cassel trade to Cowboys. @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan: "I thought EJ Manuel really raised his game... we think that EJ is going to keep ascending." @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan on Incognito return to Miami: "Richie is past that... and I think you guys have seen that as well." @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan: "I know the converstation we'll have at the end of the year is going to be far different that the one we have now." @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan: "I like having EJ Manuel as the No.2 quarterback... He gets way more reps... He's way more involved in the game plan."

#Bills Rex Ryan: EJ Manuel's development is ultimately why this deal was done @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan: "I've got to control my language on the sideline." @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan says LeSean McCoy and Percy Harvin will not practice so they can be "ready for Sunday." @wgrz

#Bills Rex Ryan says controlled emotion for the team "starts with me." @wgrz

@SalSports

"You're going to develop much more as a 2 than a 3. We feel really good about EJ and the way he's come along." --Rex

@viccarucci

Rex on choosing Manuel as No. 2: "Leaving training camp there was really hard decisions. Maybe we should have known this earlier."

Rex says "definitely going to be a big challenge" for #Bills QB Tyrod Taylor making 1st start on the road Sunday.

Rex on Cassel trade: "Without question, in the future it's going to make us better. For 1 game? Maybe not."

Rex says this team "very much like me. I've got to hold myself accountable. I've got to control my language a little bit on s-line." #Bills

@MatthewFairburn

Rex Ryan on Richie Incogntio: "There isn't one player or person in this organization that doesn't respect Richie."

Rex Ryan said LeSean McCoy won't be a full participant at practice today. Putting him on the Percy Harvin schedule.

This is a shrewd business, Rhino skin is needed to work for the NFL.

Not reporting is career suicide, he will report and I wouldn't be surprised if he plays in the playoffs before we do.

Imo

I would. It won't be this year and I doubt he's with the Cowboys next year.

@MatthewFairburn

Rex Ryan said the Cassel trade is more about EJ Manuel than Matt Cassel. They think EJ will develop more as the 2 than 3.

This was obvious. They're just starting to get this, as well as the "what makes your team better is being able to look past the present" now?

This is what I threw out there when Rex had his press conference after they brought back Cassel:

I'll play the game. In the following quote: What was going to follow the "....."?

"We brought Matt Cassel back,” Ryan said in an unscheduled meeting with reporters. “We said all along we like our three quarterbacks which is obvious. For your depth chart purposes Matt will be two, EJ [Manuel] will be three, but that means…. As I have said from day one we like all three of the guys and we never want to lose anybody obviously. So that is why we made the decision we did."

The "your depth chart" implies the one released to the media. The "but" implies that there is more to the depth chart than appearances. What that is, I do not know. But I will speculate for the fun of it. The Bills like to have Cassel with the ones in practices, running plays that are in the game plan. They think there is something of benefit to Tyrod to have Matt Cassel there with him during practices and reviewing the tape.

EJ will run the scout team because it's a better look for the D to defend a QB that can challenge them more and good for EJ because it gives him more reps that what the typical #2 gets. If they were actually going to miss/replace Tyrod for any significant amount of time, I don't know what the hell happens then. But if the answer to that is EJ, then what you have is an atypical #2/#3 situation which seems to be what Rex was starting to say and then didn't finish. #2 and #3 for the purposes of your (the press release roster) roster, but the Bills' situation is not what it seems. Somehow.

This is totally consistent with the trade. If this was the correct reading of the situation, Matt Cassel might have wanted the move because he has a better chance of actually earning the money back with the playing incentives that were added in to his new contract. If he was a gameday #2 only and EJ were the long term replacement #2 then I could see Matt Cassel being OK with the trade where he could see more actual playing time in Romo's absence.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER