McCoy left today's practice with tight hamstring...Uh Oh

Big Turk

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pats Defensive line is not the same with the loss of Vince Wilfork in the middle. Williams has the perfect north south running style to attack this front. Shady is more of a scat back. I believe Patriots dlineman Dominique Easley is still out with an injury suffered in week one. Could be a lot of potential running opportunities this weekend. Boobie could also factor in.

DuffkinLostOnChippewa, on 17 Sept 2015 - 2:49 PM, said:snapback.png

This weekend will be Karlos Williams arrival on the scene. Book it!

Karlos, is that you?

Nah man...I am Carlos Williams

Here's my question about a pulled hammy. By being pulled (or sprained/strained) does playing on it increase the chance of it getting worse? Or does it just risk it not healing as fast?

Yeah, whenever a guy (or gal) plays on a not-fully-healed injury, it absolutely risks being re-injured. People talk as though there's a big distinction between strains (muscle) and sprains (ligament), but usually one involves some degree of the other. A muscle strain can lead to a ligament sprain or vice versa. In addition when one muscle is injured it's relying on the surrounding muscles to take up the load and protect it while it heals - that makes those muscles more vulnerable.

In this case, though, one does suspect a certain amount of gamesmanship with the Pats. "McCoy!" "Yeah coach?" "Your hammy's tight. Hit the cold tub and get a massage" "Oh, no coach, I'm fine. I can cut, see?" "McCoy, you're not listening! I SAID YOUR HAMMY IS TIGHT! Go rest it" "Got it coach, I'm off!"

Reportedly, one point of friction was that Marrone (and Whaley?) wanted to replace 30+ year vet Bills head athletic trainer Bud Carpenter. Fred Smerlas says Carpenter is great - but is he really up to date on all the latest knowledge and treatment protocols? Did Marrone want to replace him with "oooooh, Shiney!" or is the Bills Sports Science not up to par, either in the S&C or in the training department? There are a lot of learnings about the need to balance muscle groups and how pain in one location can be caused by tightness elsewhere. Good article - scroll down to "conditioning to prevent injury

Hopefully McCoy is being helped by trainers who are looking at his whole back, hip, groin, and leg posture and musculature to see if there are any weak stabilizing muscles that need strengthening or tight ligaments/muscles that need strengthening. A common "weekend athlete" example of this, foam-rollering IT band tightness when the actual culprit may be gluteus medius weakness.

This weekend will be Karlos Williams arrival on the scene. Book it!

You think so?

I have Karlos and Lesean in my FF lineup, along with Marshawn and Fred. Got Jammal too.

So you're telling me to bench Mccoy this week in favor of Williams?