Sammy - Time for this dude to start playing ball.

jumbalaya

Part of being great in the NFL means playing well banged up too. Sammy is incredible, but let's face it.... He has been out performed by other guys in his draft class, after getting drafted as the runaway best.

Pissing into the wind dude. Bills fans don't want to admit the Buffalo overpaid for Watkins or that he seems to be constantly playing injured or fragile because last year it always seemed like he was playing with an injury, hamstring, ribs, hip surgery, and now this year with a calf injury. Then last season he was being coached by mental midgets who opted to use him as a decoy because they couldn't figure out how to get him into space.

Some of us are still patiently waiting for Sammy to step up into the elite world of a Julio Jones, AJ Green, Antonio Brown type WR's who can single handedly take over a game with 10+ catches for over a 100+ yards, and multiple TD's

Look at Julio's Numbers for the first three games. first game 12 rec for 141 yards, 2 TDs. second game 13 rec for 135 yards. third game 12 rec for 164 yards, 2 TD's

Sammy's numbers first game this year 0-0-0, second game, 6 rec, 60 yards, 1 TD. third game. 1 rec for 39 yards.

Just be content to be happy that the Bills might have finally found a QB good enough to get the receivers the ball on a regular basis, and we will see what the future brings.

Think he was hurt and got caught with weed one season. Absolutely crushed it after that.

What gets me is Sammy was particularly great in one aspect at Clemson, and that was in screen passes. Has Watkins even been in a screen pass play in Buffalo? Get...the...kid...in...space!!!

Edited by Nihilarian

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of being great in the NFL means playing well banged up too. Sammy is incredible, but let's face it.... He has been out performed by other guys in his draft class, after getting drafted as the runaway best.

It's also stupid to play your injured players when you are winning by 30.

Pissing into the wind dude. Bills fans don't want to admit the Buffalo overpaid for Watkins or that he seems to be constantly playing injured or fragile because last year it always seemed like he was playing with an injury, hamstring, ribs, hip surgery, and now this year with a calf injury. Then last season he was being coached by mental midgets who opted to use him as a decoy because they couldn't figure out how to get him into space.

Some of us are still patiently waiting for Sammy to step up into the elite world of a Julio Jones, AJ Green, Antonio Brown type WR's who can single handedly take over a game with 10+ catches for over a 100+ yards, and multiple TD's

Look at Julio's Numbers for the first three games. first game 12 rec for 141 yards, second game 2 TDs. 13 rec for 135 yards. third game 12 rec for 164 yards, 2 TD's

Sammy's numbers first game this year 0-0-0, second game, 6 rec, 60 yards, 1 TD. third game. 1 rec for 39 yards.

Just be content to be happy that the Bills might have finally found a QB good enough to get the receivers the ball on a regular basis, and we will see what the future brings.

What gets me is Sammy was particularly great in one aspect at Clemson, and that was in screen passes. Has Watkins even been in a screen pass play in Buffalo? Get...the...kid...in...space!!!

While Tyrod has been great so far, we don't quite have a Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger or even Andy Dalton type QB to throw him the ball. Everyone will openly admit that (Plus our line) for his rookie year at least.

Also stats from those 3 WR's in their first 2 years (3 for Antonio since he didn't play most of his first year)

Julio Jones

13 games played 96 targets 54 rec 959 yards 8 tds

16 games played 129 targets 79 rec 1,198 yards 10 tds

AJ Green

15 games played 116 targets 65 rec 1,057 yards 7 tds

16 games played 164 targets 97 rec 1,350 yards 11 tds

Antonio Brown

9 games played 19 targets 16 rec 167 yards 0 tds

16 games played 123 targets 69 rec 1,108 yards 2 tds

13 games played 105 targets 66 rec 787 yards 5 tds

Sammy Watkins

16 games played 128 targets 65 rec 982 yards 6 tds

On par for 70 targets 37 rec 528 yards 5 tds

Does anyone realistically believe that Sammy is a 528 yard receiver? Can we please acknowledge other factors beyond "Sammy just isn't good enough"? Geez for the love of god just look at the tape.

Edited by What a Tuel

This isn't correct. We didn't "give up" 2 first round picks. We gave up one and used the other to move up. Gave up two as you said implies the Bills lost 2 first round picks which is completely untrue.

Mike Evans was another option.......the Bucs took him. oddly.......he's having the same kind of "can't stay healthy" issues Sammy is. both amazing athletes...can't avoid injury. anyone remember yatil green?

While Tyrod has been great so far, we don't quite have a Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger or even Andy Dalton type QB to throw him the ball. Everyone will openly admit that (Plus our line) for his rookie year at least.

Also stats from those 3 WR's in their first 2 years (3 for Antonio since he didn't play most of his first year)

Julio Jones

13 games played 96 targets 54 rec 959 yards 8 tds

16 games played 129 targets 79 rec 1,198 yards 10 tds

AJ Green

15 games played 116 targets 65 rec 1,057 yards 7 tds

16 games played 164 targets 97 rec 1,350 yards 11 tds

Antonio Brown

9 games played 19 targets 16 rec 167 yards 0 tds

16 games played 123 targets 69 rec 1,108 yards 2 tds

13 games played 105 targets 66 rec 787 yards 5 tds

Sammy Watkins

16 games played 128 targets 65 rec 982 yards 6 tds

On par for 70 targets 37 rec 528 yards 5 tds

Does anyone realistically believe that Sammy is a 528 yard receiver? Can we please acknowledge other factors beyond "Sammy just isn't good enough"? Geez for the love of god just look at the tape.

Thank you for pointing out these stats. I was going to try to do that to make the same point you are. Also, Sammy is a much better blocker than any of these guys. He opens lanes for RB, other WR's and our TE's. The guy is a baller. And Rex was smart to hold him out when winning by 30 or so.

Transplant Sammy Watkins face on Odell Beckhams Jr.'s body?

How about something realistic? It appears the fans are very unhappy with Sammy's production, so what should be done about it? Cut him? Trade him? Fire Whaley? Lets get constructive instead of whiny.

How about something realistic? It appears the fans are very unhappy with Sammy's production, so what should be done about it? Cut him? Trade him? Fire Whaley? Lets get constructive instead of whiny.

So fans can't express disappointment with a player?

Everyone agrees he is an incredible talent, but part of being "great" is actually playing in games, and catching passes. Apologists ("and have you seen his blocking? Woah!") only want to talk about his talent, and extrapolate his stats ("if he played in all the games, his stats would be awesome!").

I think he will have some great games, and I still expect him to be a great player, but so far there is no way to spin it, he hasn't been worthy of the extra #1 pick.

Ok, so Sammy isn't living up to expectations of a high first round pick... what do you guys propose we do with him? He's still a starting level talent, so I can't see us benching him for Hogan... I don't really understand this thread.

A fan started this thread because of his picking Sammy Watkins for his fantasy team hasn't paid off just yet, and he was whining about it.

So what do you propose the solution is?

Do Nothing, and be patient!

I made a positive post stating I'm patiently awaiting the days when Sammy will take over a game like some of the elite WR's today, and that the Bills might have found that elusive franchise QB that so very few teams have. Yet it gets misconstrued as I'm bashing Sammy. :wacko:

A brand new coaching staff is learning how to use all the weapons on the team. A new QB with just three game starts is learning how to throw from the pocket, and make plays with all the weapons at his disposal.

A fan started this thread because of his picking Sammy Watkins for his fantasy team hasn't paid off just yet, and he was whining about it.

Do Nothing, and be patient!

I made a positive post stating I'm patiently awaiting the days when Sammy will take over a game like some of the elite WR's today, and that the Bills might have found that elusive franchise QB that so very few teams have. Yet it gets misconstrued as I'm bashing Sammy. :wacko:

A brand new coaching staff is learning how to use all the weapons on the team. A new QB with just three game starts is learning how to throw from the pocket, and make plays with all the weapons at his disposal.

I didn't misconstrue that you were bashing Sammy. I was pointing out that last year with an inferior offense, and QB, he put up comparable numbers to the three elite WR's you listed's rookie years. Just like Mario Williams, fans have ungodly expectations for the players we pay a lot for.

I agree though, nothing needs to be done, we need to be patient and wait for Tyrod to build a rapport with Sammy. He seems to have a special connection with Harvin, probably because he practiced with him all offseason while Sammy was recovering from hip surgery.

we're not "sick of his production". we're sick of his injuries....as everyone here I would guess.....would be loving his production.....if he was healthy.

Ok, so Sammy isn't living up to expectations of a high first round pick... what do you guys propose we do with him? He's still a starting level talent, so I can't see us benching him for Hogan... I don't really understand this thread.

Madden GM's be qualified to make personnel decisions!

Offense looks pretty good without Sammy. Don't miss him at all huh ?

Get out of here with this nonsense

yeah people have no idea just how much he opens the offense up for everyone. WR's are getting blanketed today without him drawing coverage away from them.

I think they missed the combination of Watkins AND McCoy. And I think Roman tried to play too close to the vest because they were out.

It was a terrible offensive gameplan. I realize Watkins and McCoy were out but how do you go from such a brilliant gameplan in Miami to this one.

It was a terrible offensive gameplan. I realize Watkins and McCoy were out but how do you go from such a brilliant gameplan in Miami to this one.

I think they wanted to run the ball because they figured without Watkins, it would be tight coverage. So they thought "Karlos can do it", but the Giants shut it down. They couldn't run outside at all without McCoys speed. So they ran into the teeth of the waiting defense.

They needed to throw downfield, but didn't have the balls, until they were forced into it.

Pre-snap adjustments aren't a Tyrod strength (at least at this point). I see some plays that get stonewalled where he should have changed the play. There was one were Karlos lost about 6 yards because there was a DB tight on the line, and there was no way anyone was gonna block him.

Out-coached.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I think they wanted to run the ball because they figured without Watkins, it would be tight coverage. So they thought "Karlos can do it", but the Giants shut it down. They couldn't run outside at all without McCoys speed. So they ran into the teeth of the waiting defense.

They needed to throw downfield, but didn't have the balls, until they were forced into it.

Pre-snap adjustments aren't a Tyrod strength (at least at this point). I see some plays that get stonewalled where he should have changed the play. There was one were Karlos lost about 6 yards because there was a DB tight on the line, and there was no way anyone was gonna block him.

Out-coached.

Either terribly out coached or they don't believe in tyrod.

Plenty of times we saw tyrod looking for play calls when we either should've been calling two in or quick to the line with TT making his own call too.

Either terribly out coached or they don't believe in tyrod.

Plenty of times we saw tyrod looking for play calls when we either should've been calling two in or quick to the line with TT making his own call too.

They may not believe in him, but they should have put the game in his hands NOT Karlos Williams.

Tyrod needs to get better at the pre-snap adjustments, and up-tempo situations. I believe he can, and will. But they needed to throw downfield way earlier. The coaches played to the tempo that the Giants wanted.

Edited by HoF Watkins