Bills are relevant again

PromoTheRobot

Just like in 2002 when they started 5-3... no wait, I mean 2003 after they pounded the Patriots 31-0 on opening day and made the cover of SI. No... actually, this is more like 2005 in JP Losman's first career start he beat the favored Texans 22-7. Nah... this is just like 2008 when Trent Edwards (they finally found a QB!) led them to a 5-1 start out of the gate. Or is this more like 2001 when Fitz led us to a 5-1 start?

or '86 when they signed Kelly, no wait '88 when they won AFC East.....No, actually 1990 when they won the AFC Championship.....or.......

Edited by nucci

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like it. I feel like we've been fooled like this before. :(

PTSD sucks.

LOL

Buyer beware. Expect much more talk after the outcome this Sunday.

If the Bills prevail - heads will explode.

When the inevitable loss comes expect this word to be used - Frauds

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Reminds me of the Bickering Bills of 87. We didn't know then when I was in college what we were going to do for the next 13 years. we had success with Chuck Knox, and Joe Cribbs in 80 and 81.

We can do it again. I truly understand the skepticism, but we can do it. I love my Bills.

I've never wanted a win more than this weekend except those SB's years ago. Wouldn't it be great to win SB 50 after losing 25? I'm not expecting it, but can hope. That's what we do as BFLO fans.

Jim Rome spent a good chunk of his first segment talking Bills/Pats. Talked about how fired up we are, said he'd tell the Mafia to "tap the brakes" but he knows that's not what we do. Said if we win, watch out. The NFL becomes the RFL (Rex Football League).

Just like in 2002 when they started 5-3... no wait, I mean 2003 after they pounded the Patriots 31-0 on opening day and made the cover of SI. No... actually, this is more like 2005 in JP Losman's first career start he beat the favored Texans 22-7. Nah... this is just like 2008 when Trent Edwards (they finally found a QB!) led them to a 5-1 start out of the gate. Or is this more like 2001 when Fitz led us to a 5-1 start?

This history does temper enthusiasm. The Trent Edwards fall off the cliff scenario in combination with the Fitznomagic years really weigh right now. This is a different team so it's week to week we go.

Jim Rome spent a good chunk of his first segment talking Bills/Pats. Talked about how fired up we are, said he'd tell the Mafia to "tap the brakes" but he knows that's not what we do. Said if we win, watch out. The NFL becomes the RFL (Rex Football League).

he said we better pump the brakes because if we lose it's going to look bad on us

"if they talk smack and get embarrassed in their house, it's going to be a bad look"

Have you noticed how much national attention the Bills are getting? ESPN, PTI, Around The Horn, Mike & Mike, First Take? Rex's midweek pressers on live TV? SportsCenter @ RWS? This Sunday's game is being treated like the game of the early season. It's Rex. It's Tyrod. It's the defense. How great is this?

Would they be getting this coverage if they were playing the Titans this week instead of the Pats? Doubt it. But if the Bills manage a win, and particularly if they do so impressively, then you would think the national media would have to talk about the Bills on their own merits.

If the last 15 years taught you anything it is to enjoy the good times, because they do not last. I am old enough to remember much of 0-for-the-'70s against Miami, the brief Talkin' Proud resurgence and the really bad mid-'80s. I started college right about when the worm started turning (1987) and I'll tell you, it didn't take long before people who were once just happy to get a win started carping that we didn't win by enough or go 16-0. These were also the people who thought Reich should start over a healthy Jim Kelly (and there were a lot of them), and their kids are probably the ones who called up WGR on Monday morning to complain. I'm not saying I never complained after a win, but I'm glad that I knew enough back then to appreciate what we had. Yeah I worry about the other shoe, but assuming things are REALLY getting good (and I think they are), I plan to enjoy every minute.

National media attention is basically the only reward for having a good sports team. To say that you don't care seems a bit disingenuous. What else is there?

What? The reward for having your team do well is seeing them win. Experiencing the victories with your friends and fellow fans is the reward, not what the talking heads say about your team. If your only reward for rooting for the Bills is the hope that ESPN or some knucklehead sportscaster who doesn't give a flying fck about your team in reality says nice things on TV then I'd say you're setting your expectations far too low.

Dude, are you serious?

I really, really hope not. For his sake.

If the last 15 years taught you anything it is to enjoy the good times, because they do not last. I am old enough to remember much of 0-for-the-'70s against Miami, the brief Talkin' Proud resurgence and the really bad mid-'80s. I started college right about when the worm started turning (1987) and I'll tell you, it didn't take long before people who were once just happy to get a win started carping that we didn't win by enough or go 16-0. These were also the people who thought Reich should start over a healthy Jim Kelly (and there were a lot of them), and their kids are probably the ones who called up WGR on Monday morning to complain. I'm not saying I never complained after a win, but I'm glad that I knew enough back then to appreciate what we had. Yeah I worry about the other shoe, but assuming things are REALLY getting good (and I think they are), I plan to enjoy every minute.

We're about the same age. I wholeheartedly endorse these sentiments.

What? The reward for having your team do well is seeing them win. Experiencing the victories with your friends and fellow fans is the reward, not what the talking heads say about your team. If your only reward for rooting for the Bills is the hope that ESPN or some knucklehead sportscaster who doesn't give a flying fck about your team in reality says nice things on TV then I'd say you're setting your expectations far too low.

I really, really hope not. For his sake.

Ha.

National sports teams are basically cities competing for attention. If no one else knew about it, you (or your friends and fellow fans) wouldn't get anything from it. It's only importance is gained from how it relates to other cities teams.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I listened to the Rome show too, talked about the players also talking alot. Thats fine to say they should pump the brakes a bit, but the problem is that the players are not really talking that much. Not much more than normal. Ok some said they do not like the Patriots. um.. EVERYONE in the AFC East says those things. The coach says he doesnt know a players name and that he expects to win. Again he ALWAYS says things like that. Its like the Bills say things and all of a sudden its like they are going around neighborhoods shooting everyone's pets. And yes the Bills have sucked for years, gotcha. But the talk coming from the team is not all that. Please.