Bills are relevant again

PromoTheRobot

Have you noticed how much national attention the Bills are getting? ESPN, PTI, Around The Horn, Mike & Mike, First Take? Rex's midweek pressers on live TV? SportsCenter @ RWS? This Sunday's game is being treated like the game of the early season. It's Rex. It's Tyrod. It's the defense. How great is this?

Rex Ryan is the main reason for this which in my mind makes him a great coaching choice win or loose.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bite HoF. I've been a fan for a long time, since I was ten in '68. As fans we hope for and long for the victory of "us" over them. You can chide that if you want, but in the end it's what fuels all sports fans. The us is the community of Buffalo Bills fans and the team that represents Buffalo (where most of us are from). All the years of "almost" and the many years of shattered hopes make us want the ultimate victory more.

Yes, there is an aspect of this where if our team is considered relevant it makes some fans feel better, but the reason isn't that we can't feel good about our team if we aren't getting attention from the media. The reason is that national media attention (relevancy if you will) only comes when your team is really starting to jell and is becoming a force to be reckoned with. It is simply a verification of what we as fans are feeling and hoping - that we're going to be a contender! The attention is a byproduct of being good. But being good enough to potentially contend for the ultimate crown (or at least moving towards that) is the only thing that really makes us feel good.

Like many others I've longed for a championship for a long time and I can assure you such a win would be thoroughly enjoyed - regardless of whether I hear another peep out of the media or any others outside of the Bills community. The prize is the championship - not the attention. For me, what would make a championship so rewarding is knowing how great it would make all of my kindred Buffalo fans feel.

You pretty much back up my point!

I agree with the last paragraph, but the reason the championship has any importance, is because of the history of cities/teams/fans competing for it, and the relationship between these communities. That is shaped, presented, discussed, given a relative value, archived, and given a platform, by the media. You want them to document your team's achievement. To say "the prize is the championship" is leaving out WHY the championship would have any importance as a "prize".

You can claim that you don't need to hear a peep out of the media, but that's ridiculous, because you already know the implications of winning the championship, and that it will be heralded on a global scale. It's easy to say you don't need to hear it, because you are already assured it would be there, regardless (though you will still probably seek it out).

In fact, I don't believe you! I think if the Bills win the Super Bowl, you will watch some ESPN, or hear Cowherd eat his words, or read Peter King etc. to roll around in it all a bit. I know I will!

I'm not chiding people for wanting the attention, I'm chiding the people that try to claim they don't want the attention!

Edited by HoF Watkins

Have you noticed how much national attention the Bills are getting? ESPN, PTI, Around The Horn, Mike & Mike, First Take? Rex's midweek pressers on live TV? SportsCenter @ RWS? This Sunday's game is being treated like the game of the early season. It's Rex. It's Tyrod. It's the defense. How great is this?

plus two talking heads saying we are going to the superbowl

Watching the Bills is like taking up any other hobby. For example, a lot of people like going to the gym. Some people do it for attention, to get the figure they think other people like, to get eyes turning. They get a good feeling from getting the attention. Others work out for other reasons, whether it be to stay in shape, do something with friends, or just to past time. They feel good after working out for just doing something, whether or not people notice them.

Thats what its like to be a Bills fan, to be any kind of fan. Bandwagon fans like the feeling of getting some sort of self perceived attention from wearing a Pats or Seahawks Jersey. All the other fans, from casual to die hard, like the feeling of doing something with friends and family or passing the time on a Sunday afternoon. When the die hard fans team starts winning, especially after an extended period of losing, it just feels good to celebrate your perseverance with others.

Sure some fans like the added attention of winning HoF Watkins, I'll give you that. Many of the fans on here dont and take it personally when you accuse them of being attention seekers. I cant tell you the last time i even had time to put on Sportscenter or some other sports talk show, let alone when i decided to waste time listening to one of them. And most of my school's population couldnt even tell you whether or not Buffalo had a football team. I watch because i love talking Bills football with my family up north and cant wait for the moment where i get to celebrate a Bills superbowl downtown with all the other die hards, not to rub non-important, intangible success in the nose of others.

:beer: It's a subjective experience. Everyone gets something different out of rooting for their favorite teams. Trying to assign a singular motive to every fan's interest in their team is pretty nutty. But kind of hilarious.

And where is Greggy?

Uh... I replied to you over twenty minutes before you posted this and you ignored so that you could continue your tirade against logic and empathy.

I'll bite HoF. I've been a fan for a long time, since I was ten in '68. As fans we hope for and long for the victory of "us" over them. You can chide that if you want, but in the end it's what fuels all sports fans. The us is the community of Buffalo Bills fans and the team that represents Buffalo (where most of us are from). All the years of "almost" and the many years of shattered hopes make us want the ultimate victory more.

Yes, there is an aspect of this where if our team is considered relevant it makes some fans feel better, but the reason isn't that we can't feel good about our team if we aren't getting attention from the media. The reason is that national media attention (relevancy if you will) only comes when your team is really starting to jell and is becoming a force to be reckoned with. It is simply a verification of what we as fans are feeling and hoping - that we're going to be a contender! The attention is a byproduct of being good. But being good enough to potentially contend for the ultimate crown (or at least moving towards that) is the only thing that really makes us feel good.

Like many others I've longed for a championship for a long time and I can assure you such a win would be thoroughly enjoyed - regardless of whether I hear another peep out of the media or any others outside of the Bills community. The prize is the championship - not the attention. For me, what would make a championship so rewarding is knowing how great it would make all of my kindred Buffalo fans feel.

Good post.

It's about the experience, and that experience means different things to different people. It's really not a difficult concept to grasp.

You pretty much back up my point!

I agree with the last paragraph, but the reason the championship has any importance is because of the history of cities/teams/fans competing for it. That is shaped, presented, archived, and given a platform by the media. You want them to document your team's achievement. To say "the prize is the championship" is leaving out WHY the championship would have any importance.

You can claim that you don't need to hear a peep out of the media, but that's ridiculous, because you already know the implications of winning the championship, and that it will be heralded. You can say you don't need to hear it, but you know it's there regardless (though you will still probably seek it out).

Frankly, I don't believe you! I think if the Bills win the Super Bowl, you will want to watch ESPN, and read guys like Peter King, etc. to roll around in it all a bit. I know I will!

I'm not chiding people for wanting the attention, I'm chiding the people that try to claim they don't want the attention!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Keep feeding the troll

I never claimed to be a smart man. :beer:

I like the feel here and the atmosphere at the stadium. We need to rack up wins---ya know talk the talk walk the walk. Right now we have 1 win in a long season but I do like our chances.

I see on the main page at TDB that WGR "broke" the story that ESPN will be at the stadium Sunday.

Marker ESPN’s SportsCenter to broadcast from The Ralph Sunday

September 16, 2015 Updated 8:48 PM
Buffalo News reports: 'Hannah Storm will anchor the show, with reports from Britt McHenry.

or did I miss that buried in the 7 pages?

edit - oops see Now you know this is a big game - ESPN's in town thread

More talk again on M&M. Greenie taking the Bills, talk of pressure with the front 4 on Defense and how to handle Gronk w/ King Kong

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever