Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

Heard the David Lee interview on the John Murphy show today.

Some points:

Tyrod was quizzed by Lee on a difficult installation and Tyrod knew every new formation. Lee joked that Tyrod had a photographic memory. Regardless, that's important as we have a large playbook.

EJ- Lee mentioned that EJ has improved in accuracy since start Lee has been there. Said EJ would miss throwing to the left and middle of the field (throwing behind receivers) and that this has been corrected by working on correcting EJ's footwork.

Cassel- Sounds like Lee loves him some Cassel and calls him the glue who helps the other QB's improve.

Who cares what a coach has to say? He may have spent hundreds or hours with the three QBs over the past six months, but we fans have seen all we need to see to know way better than this clown.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares what a coach has to say? He may have spent hundreds or hours with the three QBs over the past six months, but we fans have seen all we need to see to know way better than this clown.

Yeah, these guys need to lighten up, I mean, its just a game. Just go have fun out there!

:beer: Thanks for that.

Something from that interview that I missed in the other Taylor coverage through the pre-season... Lee says Taylor has a photographic memory. That's neat.

Edited by GreggyT

I've supported EJ for what I expected from him. He's ready to be a mid level QB at this point(Tannehill-esque). He can be more IMO. I think his time with the scout team will help him and add to the coaching staffs conviction that they were right in not trading him/cutting him.

Again JMO.

Well, for whatever it's worth, I share your opinion.

I was struck by something Roman said in an interview, something to the effect of "testing" the offense line by not making adjustments against the D, so that in a game with adjustments it will be easier. Rex has said some similar things about the D, testing the DBs instead of giving them help as would be done on game day.

I think in OTAs and early TC they saw EJ was a project, got the flick that he hadn't really had decent coaching, and said "OK, we'll develop him over the spring/summer and see. If he improves, we'll keep at it, if he doesn't, *snip snip snip*. I think EJ has been with the 3's against our 1's D because that's where he got what he needed most - having to read and interpret a complex D and react properly to pressure.

I think the QB have their roles: TT is the starter, EJ is the long-term backup plan if TT doesn't have all that after a decent series of games or goes down with injury, and Cassel is the capable vet who will do everything he can to help TT out, who can be game-ready with minimal snaps during the week and can come in mid-game if needed.

EJ just sounds too calm and positive for a guy who is buried deep on a team's depth chart. He sounds like a guy who has a role and knows what it is.

But I could be wrong.

I was struck by something Roman said in an interview, something to the effect of "testing" the offense line by not making adjustments against the D, so that in a game with adjustments it will be easier. Rex has said some similar things about the D, testing the DBs instead of giving them help as would be done on game day.

I think in OTAs and early TC they saw EJ was a project, got the flick that he hadn't really had decent coaching, and said "OK, we'll develop him over the spring/summer and see. If he improves, we'll keep at it, if he doesn't, *snip snip snip*. I think EJ has been with the 3's against our 1's D because that's where he got what he needed most - having to read and interpret a complex D and react properly to pressure.

I think the QB have their roles: TT is the starter, EJ is the long-term backup plan if TT doesn't have all that after a decent series of games or goes down with injury, and Cassel is the capable vet who will do everything he can to help TT out, who can be game-ready with minimal snaps during the week and can come in mid-game if needed.

EJ just sounds too calm and positive for a guy who is buried deep on a team's depth chart. He sounds like a guy who has a role and knows what it is.

But I could be wrong.

Agreed.

And also - what does the number 2 QB do on gameday? He essentially acts as another QB coach. All of the time, you see the starter trot off of the field and congress with his OC, his QB coach, and the backup quarterback. When Taylor trots off the field, he'll have a veteran QB to interact with - Cassel has been around long enough that he can act as a coach on gameday. EJ doesn't have that kind of experience - he'd be learning on the job too (although there is some value to that in terms of his development). This move makes complete and total sense to me from a business and football standpoint and I'm just so mystified that some posters are taking a contrary view.

But I could be wrong.

This is a very reasonable, logical perspective that has no place on this message board.

I am sure that EJ who is 10 pounds heavier than last also is no where near his combine numbers from 3 years ago. Again, Cassel is less of a statue than EJ. Not saying EJ is TT or RG3 but he is better running than Ej ever has been.

You are sure. .. so you clocked him? This is conjecture. In addition. There is no known parallel universe where EJ is more of a starue than Cassel. Thats a bit much

You forgot Troll in your description.

:lol: sigh...of course...it was implied, but I didn't want to blow his cover, I'm a nice guy.

Did someone argue different? If they did it is a true contender for idiotic post of the year.

Well yes they did...good ol VaBills "Again, Cassel is less of a statue than EJ"...by extension this means that EJ is more of a statue than Cassel.