Would You Have Your Son Circumcised, and Why?

Rob's House

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats bud!!!! 6 1/2 years ago when Cletus Jr made his arrival it wasn't much of a discussion for us.... I am circumcised and didn't consider anything else as an option.... Fast forward a few years.... Once you get to the point where junior will start bathing himself, less skin means less chance for infection, or any other business that happens from not being thoroughly clean. I would suggest it just for that purpose alone....

My father was born in the 1930's @ the height of the Great Depression... Born @ home (Cheektowaga). He didn't have an indoor toilet (had outhouse) till he was a teen in the late 1940's. Of course he wasn't clipped, he never had a problem and made "yours truly." Of course they did the honor on his two sons. :-O

The whole hygiene thing is overblown.

Oh... My father is still kicking! :-)

One thing I found funny.

When our twin boys were born, my wife's 95 year old WASP grandfather wanted to know right away whether they were circumcised. It was his first question.

I found it kinda odd, but my sense was the old generation really holds a strong pro-c view on this.

Huh? I would think it would be the opposite, anti-C.

Weren't gentiles non-circumsized? One way they would send people to the concentration camps in Europe?

If he is 95 and WASP... He most likely isn't.

We make decisions throughout their childhood about what we think will help them adjust and be accepted by their peers. This was just one of the first for my son. My Catholic family always had it done, and I'd still make the same choice. People overthink this stuff.

Or more precisely, un!@#$able. After about the 6th month it's pretty difficult, unsatisfying, and, consequentially, rare enough as is. Then there's a minimum 6 week recovery period before you're going to see any hot action. I don't even have to focus at this point. I got direct deposit into the spank bank.

Lmfao!!!! It's like a unicorn- except you don't need a bucket to stand on....

We make decisions throughout their childhood about what we think will help them adjust and be accepted by their peers. This was just one of the first for my son. My Catholic family always had it done, and I'd still make the same choice. People overthink this stuff.

What does the Catholic church have to do w/it? I thought the procedure was mainly Jewish?

I am Roman Catholic as are my parents. Like I said above, my father didn't have it done. I think the procedure took off more in the 1950's+.

About being Catholic... My father wanted to join the Masons and his mother wouldn't allow it, something to do with being Catholic? Yet, they never got him clipped. It must not be a big thing.

True story. When my son was born, the doctor was an old-timer. Word from the nurses was that he was a true "artist"... Snip snip and in seconds he was done! The nurses said, be thankful... A lot of younger doctors waste too much time doing it and it is painful for the nurses to even be assisting in the procedure!

Good... We had a daughter four years later and the doctor was a new-age type. Our old doctor retired by then.

Funny thing about the old doctor... My wife would ask all kinds of screwy questions about things she was reading... Walking epidurals, breastfeeding, etc... The doctor was the best. On the walking epidural thing, he suggested leaving that for people on the East Coast. LoL... Breastfeeding: "You put the baby to your breast... Don't over-think it!" LMAO... This was still the late 1990's, it wasn't like some patients weren't flipping out over old-school doctors back then, it was just under the radar. Nowaday's people are barraged from all angles. A doc like would be refreshing!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Thanks fellas.

Does anyone else find her insanely !@#$able?

Seems to depend on the year. She seems to go long stretches where she just can't refuse the donut.

As to your actual question, whatever you're comfortable with. If you don't mind the little extra work and extra teaching when it comes to bathing, let it be.

Rob's House Jr. recently crossed the finish line, instantly transforming from an inanimate mass of cells to a person, and many friends and family members are now very concerned with his penis, particularly the fact that I'm not considering genital mutilation.

I figure if he ever decided that he's burdened by too much skin he can always decide to have it cut off - hell, I'll Even pay for it - but I thought I'd give him something I was not: a choice. A lot of people find this outrageous but can't or won't give a good answer as to why.

I'm just curious what y'all think about this.

There's another one?!?!?! :cry:

(congratulations)

There was an uncircumcised kid at my high school. His nickname was Rumple Foreskin. We chose to have our son circumcised, not because of that, but because of sanitary/hygiene reasons. But that was our decision for our son. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for yours.

Again ... congrats!

Rob's House Jr. recently crossed the finish line, instantly transforming from an inanimate mass of cells to a person, and many friends and family members are now very concerned with his penis, particularly the fact that I'm not considering genital mutilation.

I figure if he ever decided that he's burdened by too much skin he can always decide to have it cut off - hell, I'll Even pay for it - but I thought I'd give him something I was not: a choice. A lot of people find this outrageous but can't or won't give a good answer as to why.

I wouldn't think of it as genital mutilation, but rather genital cosmetic surgery. I had my boy circumcised and would do it again in a heart beat, but as most have stated it's a personal choice. I personally am glad my parents did it for me, so I had no doubt.

No, my parents went with the desert religion decision and clipped me in the cradle. It doesn't bother me for myself; I don't lay awake lamenting the loss of my foreskin. I just see it as a primitive, painful, traumatic, and unnecessary practice, born out of mythology, and perpetuated out of a fear of being different. I also figure, you can always cut it off, but you can never grow it back.

Again, it's your decision. In my case, my parents were Hindus and religion didn't enter into it, the physical pain and trauma of the procedure are meaningless to me since I obviously don't remember it and it hasn't affect me subconsciously (although I am averse to having sharp objects near the not-so-little guy), and I'd rather not be different in that way. But hey, that's me.

Plan B.) take the clipped skin to a taxidermist for preservation... If your son wants it, hand it to him...

And if he has a defect in his eyelid(s), it can used to correct it. The only problem is, he'd be cockeyed.

I wouldn't think of it as genital mutilation, but rather genital cosmetic surgery. I had my boy circumcised and would do it again in a heart beat, but as most have stated it's a personal choice. I personally am glad my parents did it for me, so I had no doubt.

That's a good way to put it: genital cosmetic surgery.

Rob, first of all Congradulations!

Secondly, to address your concerns, I read poll results a few years back that concluded that women much preferred to suck on a cut knob. Do with that information what you will.

We didn't circumcise our son when he was born (he's 11 now.) Never had any problems with infections and we didn't do it because it's pretty much a purely cosmetic procedure and we felt a newborn didn't need that done. There is a slightly smaller chance of penile cancer but the percentage of men who get that in the US is incredibly small, even in uncircumcised men.

Also of note, circumcision cuts off a lot of the sensitivity of the penis. We felt no religious conviction to get it done so why do that to someone when there is no need?

It's funny, I actually encountered a couple people who were offended when they found out we didn't have him circumcised. Like we were personally insulting them. It was odd.

I dont get the hygienic principle?

Not to be nasty, but the head is exposed when circumcised. Wouldnt that be less hygienic?

Anyway Im not and would not have done it for my sons either.

Congrats btw

We didn't circumcise our son when he was born (he's 11 now.) Never had any problems with infections and we didn't do it because it's pretty much a purely cosmetic procedure and we felt a newborn didn't need that done. There is a slightly smaller chance of penile cancer but the percentage of men who get that in the US is incredibly small, even in uncircumcised men.

Also of note, circumcision cuts off a lot of the sensitivity of the penis. We felt no religious conviction to get it done so why do that to someone when there is no need?

It's funny, I actually encountered a couple people who were offended when they found out we didn't have him circumcised. Like we were personally insulting them. It was odd.

Maybe that explains it..........No wonder Im like freaking Quagmire.

Rob's House Jr. recently crossed the finish line, instantly transforming from an inanimate mass of cells to a person

lol

Lose the foreskin now. It's an ugly, useless flap of skin that gets in the way. Guys I know that had to do it as adults were not happy.

I had my son circumcised, but if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't have. My reasoning at the time was flawed and I regret forcing that decision on him. "Because that's the way it's always been done" no longer seems like a valid reason to me. Best of luck deciding.

I had my son circumcised, but if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't have. My reasoning at the time was flawed and I regret forcing that decision on him. "Because that's the way it's always been done" no longer seems like a valid reason to me. Best of luck deciding.

Hmmmmm.... Are you really a doctor??? Lol