Fred Says Whaley Dishonest With Him

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And let's all be honest - the upset with this is less that it was done than how it was done. If it was done with a press conference and a nod to how much Fred's meant to Buffalo, and given him a chance to say goodbye, people would be a lot more accepting. Instead, it was an unceremonious first-round preseason cut. That bugs a lot of people.

Sincere question to not only Tom, but all the other expert folks here with a lot of football history and knowledge:

Has anything like that EVER been done over a first-round preseason cut before? Or any cut?

It's one thing if the player chooses to retire, but I cant recall any player that was given such a ceremony when they were cut, and there have certainly been bigger fan-favorites cut from other teams before.

They bumbled nothing. It was handled the same way the big boys handle these things. See: New England, Pittsburgh (ahem).

Exactly. Still waiting for an explanation for how they should have 'handled it".

Just checking back to see if Bandit was still harassing Negativo. F5!

Now negativo is a victim?? LOL!!

My brief stint of letting the screwiness of it distract me from participating in actual discussion has passed.

And therein is the irony what should have been an ordinary player move probably turned into a big distraction inside OBD.

They bumbled nothing. It was handled the same way the big boys handle these things. See: New England, Pittsburgh (ahem).

Indy had a presser for Peyton. No not the same but fjax is probably as iconic a guy as they've had over the past decade. The post cut spin is the bumbling part. The action itself makes sense they just hosed up the tearful sales job to the base.

It's a fine analogy. Not all analogies are meant to mirror the entire situation, some are to shed light on one specific, often nuanced, aspect of it.

It compares someone doing his job, with potential fall-out (Whaley, GM: it's his job to make roster cuts, which is alleged to have potentially messed up an advertiser by a member of the news media) with a radio station manager doing something underhanded and dishonest (instructing his DJs to trash an advertiser they dislike on-air).

Unless by "fine analogy" you mean "not comparable at all", I don't see how it can rationally be called a fine analogy.

Indy had a presser for Peyton. No not the same but fjax is probably as iconic a guy as they've had over the past decade. The post cut spin is the bumbling part. The action itself makes sense they just hosed up the tearful sales job to the base.

Frankly I think a press conference would have been embarrassing to Fred. He was released because the GM and HC didn't think he was good enough anymore to hold a spot on the roster for the money they were paying him and because of a rookie 5th round pick.

Peyton was being replaced by the best QB prospect in history and everyone knew this was the best thing for Manning.

WGR has been adamant since Rex got hired that rex calls the shots. Now the National Enquirer, I mean Buffalo News, claims Whaley went rogue. What's next? Terry and Kim are personal friends with Zenu the interplanetary leader of Scientology and they're gonna hire him to secretly call plays on game day?

The Buffalo News (via Bucky, linked above) is claiming that Whaley followed his job description (control 53 man roster). Graham has seemingly stepped away from his "rogue" claim, admitting Rex and the Pegulas knew.

Frankly I think a press conference would have been embarrassing to Fred. He was released because the GM and HC didn't think he was good enough anymore to hold a spot on the roster for the money they were paying him and because of a rookie 5th round pick.

Peyton was being replaced by the best QB prospect in history and everyone knew this was the best thing for Manning.

Not to mention Manning is a first ballot HOF, SB champ, holder of a bunch of all-time records, etc. It's a pretty absurd comparison.

Peyton Manning led the Colts to the promised land.

Fred Jackson led the ... well he played .... he ran for .... well, it's just not the same.

I actually hate that remark, because the pulse and "emotion" of a locker room is very important for success. Ask the Dolphins.

Plenty of emotion in that locker room. This team has passion. This team has guys who pep players. This team will overcome fred... you see Kyle williams locker room talk last year? There are plenty of guys on this team to pass the torch to. Its not Fred, i get it... the common fan got attached. My question... we let Fred play 1 more year. Cool. But this man wants to play at least 3 more? We have to draw the line somewhere. This isnt the ralphies where there is a boatload of money to spend on any jobber like we did last year... this was a concerted effort by WHALEY and Pegula to put the BEST 53 in a jersey. Fred was 3 on the depth chart I am sure. And we still have Dareus Bradham and yeah said it... GILMORE to deal with. Every little bit helps.

i love Fred as a football player, but i have to think his value to Roman was decreased when Taylor was named the starter over Manuel, and especially, Cassel. with less need for a savvy pass_protector/safety_valve guy, the feeling may have been that the other guys could hit the inside stuff harder, and get to the edge quicker. not sure if whaley isn't taking one for the team, here.

Plenty of emotion in that locker room. This team has passion. This team has guys who pep players. This team will overcome fred... you see Kyle williams locker room talk last year? There are plenty of guys on this team to pass the torch to. Its not Fred, i get it... the common fan got attached. My question... we let Fred play 1 more year. Cool. But this man wants to play at least 3 more? We have to draw the line somewhere. This isnt the ralphies where there is a boatload of money to spend on any jobber like we did last year... this was a concerted effort by WHALEY and Pegula to put the BEST 53 in a jersey. Fred was 3 on the depth chart I am sure. And we still have Dareus Bradham and yeah said it... GILMORE to deal with. Every little bit helps.

We will see if they do.

Not to mention Manning is a first ballot HOF, SB champ, holder of a bunch of all-time records, etc. It's a pretty absurd comparison.

Peyton Manning led the Colts to the promised land.

Fred Jackson led the ... well he played .... he ran for .... well, it's just not the same.

Yeah. It's a nice thought. But it's also ludicrous.