Edit: now confirmed rumor that Bills will release Cassel

eball

I'd be shocked. We gave up a 5th and a 7th in a trade for him. Maybe a trade to get something, even a 7th back. But with no veteran on team, it just wouldn't make sense.

Technically Tyrod is a veteran. Hes been in the league 5 years. And EJ is going into his 3rd.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That kind of thinking gets you in trouble. You can't make the right move because (insert reason here.) They traded for Cassel to make sure they had a contingency plan. Plans change.

Sure plans change. But given our past history with disasters at the QB position, I would at least be assured of a firm floor and hence err on the side of having one too many QBs. Simms doesn't give that vet presence and no I don't think TT or EJ are 'vet' enough.

Not sure why anyone is really worried about the Pats* signing Cassel. I doubt he'd start over Garappolo and then Marcia comes back. I'm not sure "picking his brain" is worth the asking price for NE*.

I'll just drop this thought here, as it has no other real place. It was gratifying to see EJ respond to not getting the starting gig the way he has---and the way I expected him to: Professional and Hopeful. It's odd to think many wanted the Bills to get Ryan Mallet--who still has done nothing in the NFL and looks to be, in most ways, worse than EJ. Mallet responded to being passed over for the #2 slot by complaining publicly, then "oversleeping" and missing practice the next day. I'd be mighty mad if that QB was still on a team I rooted for.

Nice call. LOL Marcia

This applies to Brandon, Whaley, and Rex equally. And I'm totally fine with it.

The local media, however, can't stand it.

If this really happens and the Bills cut Cassel I can't wait to troll poor old Vic Carucci -- he was banking his reputation on Cassel as the starter.

Same playing time as Roethlisberger, and practice.

This applies to Brandon, Whaley, and Rex equally. And I'm totally fine with it.

The local media, however, can't stand it.

If this really happens and the Bills cut Cassel I can't wait to troll poor old Vic Carucci -- he was banking his reputation on Cassel as the starter.

Yep. Although I think all three guys are different.

I don't believe a word Brandon says as gospel but I believe he is great at his job.

I believe most of what Whaley says but he is often very diplomatic and won't say the truth... But won't say things that aren't true very much either. I think Rex just loves to talk and give his opinions and doesn't care if he is wrong sometimes.

Sure plans change. But given our past history with disasters at the QB position, I would at least be assured of a firm floor and hence err on the side of having one too many QBs. Simms doesn't give that vet presence and no I don't think TT or EJ are 'vet' enough.

I'm sure Whaley still has Orton on speed dial.

I disagree. I think we need insurance on the insurance simply to protect against any double disasters.

why dont we go after $5m players that would require 2 injuries to take even a single rep at every position?

It simply makes no sense. As has been discussed many a time, we are a roster that will have high paid cornerstone players, and cycle out overpaid mid tier vets whenever possible. cassell is the textbook of that if hes #3.

I'll just drop this thought here, as it has no other real place. It was gratifying to see EJ respond to not getting the starting gig the way he has---and the way I expected him to: Professional and Hopeful. It's odd to think many wanted the Bills to get Ryan Mallet--who still has done nothing in the NFL and looks to be, in most ways, worse than EJ. Mallet responded to being passed over for the #2 slot by complaining publicly, then "oversleeping" and missing practice the next day. I'd be mighty mad if that QB was still on a team I rooted for.

EJ had nothing to do with when he was drafted. (I was okay with the pick, btw.)

All he has done is work hard and now we discover with competent coaching an improved qb.

He responded with grace to the Tyrod choice and the kind of commitment to renewed effort that is admirable.

And yet some refuse to credit his improved play and hint that he is not the best choice to keep if we are only keeping 2 qbs.

I surmise and hope that OBD is not as foolish and intransigent as those who continue to badmouth or snidely dismiss EJ.

@ChrisTrapasso: #Bills will likely have plenty of room for big re-signings ahead. FJax then Cassel/Harvin/Leo/Lawson/Urbik would free $25.6M on '16 cap.

@ChrisTrapasso: #Bills will likely have plenty of room for big re-signings ahead. FJax then Cassel/Harvin/Leo/Lawson/Urbik would free $25.6M on '16 cap.

I think he meant that those contracts would likely be off the books heading into 2016. I don't think he expects them all to be cut/traded now.

why dont we go after $5m players that would require 2 injuries to take even a single rep at every position?

It simply makes no sense. As has been discussed many a time, we are a roster that will have high paid cornerstone players, and cycle out overpaid mid tier vets whenever possible. cassell is the textbook of that if hes #3.

I agree with that philosophy for other positions on the team. I am advocating extra insurance as both TT and EJ don't have a large enough body of in-game experience.

By Leo does he mean Leodis?

I was under the impression McKelvin had another couple years on his contract.

yes. I think he means he would be cut after the season along with the others who wouldn't be re-signed. Replaced with drafted players. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think he meant that those contracts would likely be off the books heading into 2016. I don't think he expects them all to be cut/traded now.

Yup. Still an odd statement because a few of them are likely to be valuable contributors who the Bills would like to resign (I'm thinking Harvin and Lawson, for example).