Who is 2nd string QB?

jumbalaya

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skycap, I'm an EJ fan, but that may be one of the dumbest articles ever. How is Ryan culpable in the Watkins trade? He had nothing to do with it. I stopped reading at that point.

He was making Ryan culpable of not drafting a QB in this year's draft. Not the Watkins pick.

I also don't know how you feel better about his future when the article starts by saying no QB on our roster is capable of winning a championship.

He said " it doesn't appear" because you never saw Tyrod play. It didn't appear Dangeruss was capable when he was a rookie either

Mike Mayock, who I really respect, says that there's no way EJ stays. EJ was either gonna win the job or get moved/cut. States that Whaley would not be able to let a 1st rd pick be a backup on this team. GMs have "too much pride". Wtf?

Okay Mike, then why wasn't he moved last year? This is the same Mayock that said he needed to sit and learn when he was drafted.

Here's how I see it.

1. Things changed the last two weeks. I believe Mayock and even Leroi were correct in saying Manuel would be cut. But nobody expected him to make the strides he made. When you look at things from the perspective of the coaching staff choosing Tyrod over a month ago, EJ really threw a wrench in their plans with his preseason performances.

2. We currently have an exciting but unproven player at QB. He could be injury prone, he could be exposed, or he could break down mentally like Trent Edwards. We just don't know what we have with Tyrod Taylor yet. We need insurance.

3. EJ has shown incredible glimpses of putting it all together the last few weeks. IF he really does put it all together, he becomes VERY valuable to the Bills. Either as the eventual starter or as 1st round pick bait if Tyrod becomes a winner. For all those clamoring to trade him now, I think they're worried that what we saw was a fluke and they're hoping to get a late round pick for it. But if what we saw was a sign of things to come, we'll have the hottest QB on the market next year for QB-needy teams.

4. Since Tyrod is unproven, and EJ is still a bit of a question mark, we know what we have with Cassel. And what we have is good enough to avoid turnovers and move the ball into field goal range. There will be no Geno Smith or Jeff Tuel pick-six meltdowns. That's why he is valuable on this team for $5M which is junk change for a QB in today's NFL.

You said this nearly perfectly. The only caveat would be if Cassels' money is needed to get deals done this year with pending free agents coming next season.

Because I'm obviously not privy to know - I personally do not want any of these QB's going anywhere this season.

Through Rex's comments, when he wouldn't commit to EJ and Matt Cassel being the 3 QB's on the roster I sense that a trade is in the works.

I truly believe that they are looking to trade Cassel, and then bring Simms to PS. But with EJ's comments that he is a Bills for now I would have to think his agent has been told that a trade maybe in the works.

Tough to call, but one thing for sure if your HC can't commit to the actual players being on your roster then a trade or even cut is in the works.

I don't see the Bills cutting EJ. Cassel and his large salary, yes.

EJ - cut Cassel and keep Simms - it's all just a matter of economics - just ask Fred. This only happens if EJ continues to show progress over the next two weeks. Unfortunately, none of us or the media will ever see what happens in practice over the next two weeks.

Hope Simms looks good enough for 3rd string in next preseason game. That might be asking too much but would save a lot of cap space if Cassel was not needed. Roll over money plus Freds in order to pay Dareus.

Edited by ALF

EJ is 2nd string.

MC gets cut as Whaley does some penny-pinching to resign Dareus and others.

We lost Freddy because we had other backs who were both younger and cheaper.

Depth at QB - and any other position - is awesome. But we're in a situation now where we're going to have trouble resigning starters.

Either MC or EJ is gone for cap reasons and my guess it's MC.

For a team that's needed a competent QB for so long you keep all of them IMO

I completely agree

OK- so what if a team offered a #1 pick for EJ? Do you make that deal? So many teams are QB starved. I would not be surprised if someone offered a #1

not happening but if someone did we jump on that.

then we use our 2 #1's in 2016 to move up and draft another QB who we groom properly this time

This article by Brian Billick has me feeling better about EJs future as a Bill.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000519135/article/tyrod-taylor-over-ej-manuelmatt-cassel-right-move-for-bills

Brian Billick is a tool. If he's so smart, how come nobody has even considered him for a HC job since he was fired in Baltimore? He trashes Tyrod and says the Bills are doomed because they don't have a "championship caliber" QB on the roster. Screw him. Go Bills and go Tyrod.

Keep EJ. If you think there is value then try to trade Cassel. Which I doubt will have any high value. A 7th round pick in trade is meh.

We really don't want to see EJ on a team the Bills compete with.

With our defense. EJ is easy to defend. Blitz him and keep a deep safety. Make him try to beat you by throwing underneath which he still hasn't shown he can do. He has a pretty long ball, but give him little time, take away the deep patterns and you can stick a fork in him.

I suspect a trade for EJ will happen before Friday as a team will want to get him on the field for a few series just to get him acclimated to their offense.

It's a tough one, if you are looking for the best immediate #2 choice, I wouldn't be surprised that the Bills believe that they can rely on Cassell more so than E.J. But, on the other hand, E.J is beginning to show some glimpses of why they drafted him as high as they did and it would be foolish to let him go without completely confirming if he is who they thought he was. I'd say go with those three, whoever they choose as the immediate backup I'd be fine with either one, but if they do actually believe that E.J is ahead of Cassell as the immediate choice, then you may as well cut Cassell and save that money for Re signing Dareus.