Who is 2nd string QB?

jumbalaya

I think you may have interpreted my post as a bash on EJ. It wasn't-- quite the opposite. I believe he has earned the #2 spot ahead of Cassel.

And, Taylor has had a lot more time against first string D, and with first string O-line than EJ-- including against the Steelers. He kinda got the shaft in that respect. And, I don't think the scrimmage carries as much weight. My point is that that makes it harder to evaluate EJ. That is all.

Fair enough

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take that deal in a heart beat, but not happening

Barbarian, you do know they didn't name your star QB a captain.

As much as Tyrod has earned the starting position (and he did), I think EJ has earned the #2. However, I don't think his performance in the preseason games was as good as many have hyped them up to be. EJ's TD pass to Palmer in the end zone vs. Pitts, for example, while being a very nice throw, was against a defender who blew the play so badly he might as well have not been there. The defender (a safety, I think?) was so lost on the play-- he had no play on the ball, or on Palmer-- he looked absolutely confused. The Pitts D is terrible this season. Their #2 D is really, really terrible.

The other side of that coin is that as EJ has played much of the preseason (including that Palmer TD) with our second string O-line, and skill positions, which makes it a little difficult to evaluate how well he was reading the field.

Be that as it may, I have far more faith in EJ's abilities than at any other time, and I think that is a fairly common sentiment. I hope he gets some mop-up duty this season, and continues to develop while riding the pine. It certainly didn't do Tyrod any harm.

That's because EJ looked him off on that TD throw. The same with the Clay TD. Will Allen, a veteran DB, got caught following EJs "slow" eyes and he burned him. This is part of the development of EJ Manuel. I think EJs performances in the preseason games won him the job, personally but everyone is enamored by Taylor's "explosive" running ability.

depth-chart-placeholder.jpg

http://www.spotrac.c...ls/matt-cassel/

Base $4,150,000, roster bonus, $500,000, Cap Hit $4,750,000 and Dead Cap $600,000 - Expires 2016

http://www.spotrac.c...ls/e.j.-manuel/

Base $1,212,755 ?? Signing bonus $133,333, Cap Hit $2,423,264 and Dead Cap $5,250,405 - Expires 2017

http://www.spotrac.c...s/tyrod-taylor/

Base $750,000 Signing bonus $1,210,509, Cap Hit $$883,333 and Dead Cap $1,150,000 - Expires 2017

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I'm not so concerned with cutting Cassel for salary cap reasons. Isn't he on the second year of a 2 year deal he signed with the Vikings? He'll be off the books next year anyway, unless they're looking to extend everyone before seasons end. I would love to keep EJ around and developing...I'd dangle Cassel for trade bait, but if he's on the team oh well. He'd be an awesome #3.

I'm not so concerned with cutting Cassel for salary cap reasons. Isn't he on the second year of a 2 year deal he signed with the Vikings? He'll be off the books next year anyway, unless they're looking to extend everyone before seasons end. I would love to keep EJ around and developing...I'd dangle Cassel for trade bait, but if he's on the team oh well. He'd be an awesome #3.

If they cut him now they can roll his $4M into 2016.

This according to John Murphy last night. <<< This should tell you two things - exercise for the reader.

Edited by BobChalmers

I wonder if we'll get any clues to the second stringer in tomorrow's game. I know Simms is expected to start and play the whole game, but they have to dress at least one other qb in case of injury, right? So assuming they only dress one other QB and it's not Tyrod, would it be more likely the guy they dress is #2 or #3? or do they dress everyone even though they're not planning on playing them? I would say if they only dress one other QB, the other guy they dress is likely to be #3 on the current depth chart. If that guy is Cassel I wouldn't be shocked if he's cut when it's all said and done.

I wonder if we'll get any clues to the second stringer in tomorrow's game. I know Simms is expected to start and play the whole game, but they have to dress at least one other qb in case of injury, right? So assuming they only dress one other QB and it's not Tyrod, would it be more likely the guy they dress is #2 or #3? or do they dress everyone even though they're not planning on playing them? I would say if they only dress one other QB, the other guy they dress is likely to be #3 on the current depth chart. If that guy is Cassel I wouldn't be shocked if he's cut when it's all said and done.

Thigpen? he does everything else.