Fan who fell to death at Yankees game died booing A-Rod

truth on hold

More curse of the bambino?

The 60-year-old man who fell to his death from the upper deck at Turner Field in Atlanta on Saturday night was a passionate Braves fan who spent his final moments booing Alex Rodriguez, according to witnesses and a statement from the team.

http://nypost.com/2015/08/30/fan-who-fell-to-death-at-yankees-game-died-booing-a-rod/

"I must be in the front row!"

Too soon? I know tasteless. But man, sad and tragic... What the hell was he thinking! One second he is booing A-Rod and the next he's laying next to a guy in a lower section aisle. Would have been more tragic if he would have taken another out... WHICH leads to this:

The aisles in stadiums usually line up. He had to come down to the upper deck rail and that's where he fell... From aisle to aisle. If it was purely not his fault, he would have been in a seat section and landed on another seat section, possibly killing another person!

Whenever I go to Astros games, I go with someone who has season tickets on the front row of the balcony. The railing is about 4 feet high, so there's no possible way you can fall unless you're being a complete ass. Don't know what Turner Field is like though, but I'm sure there's some sort of regulation. Sad either way.

Whenever I go to Astros games, I go with someone who has season tickets on the front row of the balcony. The railing is about 4 feet high, so there's no possible way you can fall unless you're being a complete ass. Don't know what Turner Field is like though, but I'm sure there's some sort of regulation. Sad either way.

Exactly! I think OSHA requirments are 39" to 44"... I am not sure if that applies to stadiums. @ the lock I work @, the old railings of 30" were granfathered, BUT upon major dewatering/rehab, we were ordered to replace them and be compliant. This past winter we replaced all the original railings w/aluminum "SpeedRail" @ 42 inches. Cost: About 100k just for material... Over 2,000' of railing.

The OSHA Safety logic is, with the old low railings, people tend to sit on them and can fall back. @ 39" 44" it is super duper hard to get a fat ass to rest on one... Unless you are Minute Bol...

FWIW.

nope, was watching it at the time.

Thanks. I saw it on twitter, and the first report said they delayed the game 8-10 minutes.

I was then listening to the Yankees broadcast during the 9th inning, and it was never mentioned. John Sterling even gave out the attendance when the number was given to the press, and did his usual "what a great crowd" etc. You'd think nothing at all happened.

At that point, I was thinking they had stopped the game due to what I saw on twitter.

I can see a little bit of the business as usual approach of John and Suzyn if they didn't stop the game. But, it was still weird.

I've been on the upper deck of that stadium and I remember standing at that rail feeling really creeped out. I don't do well with heights anyway, but I couldn't believe that little rail was the only barrier to that steep of a drop. I wasn't at all surprised by the story. I'm kind of surprised it doesn't happen more often.

that's the third guy, they need to do something about the safety in that stadium.

You can't protect human error... Even bubble wrap a guy up in a room full of clouds and some guy would find a way to kill himself. Probably choking on the bubble wrap. Then we would need to find a way to make bubble wrap safe... Wait what?

Edited by Beef Jerky

Citi Field's rails are also very short. We went to a game a few years back and had front row of one of the upper deck sections. I wouldn't let my son near the rail. I think I read the minimum height is 26". It's amazing that this doesn't happen more often.

Citi Field's rails are also very short. We went to a game a few years back and had front row of one of the upper deck sections. I wouldn't let my son near the rail. I think I read the minimum height is 26". It's amazing that this doesn't happen more often.

That's amazing! 26"??? I mentioned earlier how we had to change all our's @ work to 39" to 44" w/42" being our set height. OSHA mandated.

@ 26", anybody can sit on them and flip back!

That's amazing! 26"??? I mentioned earlier how we had to change all our's @ work to 39" to 44" w/42" being our set height. OSHA mandated.

@ 26", anybody can sit on them and flip back!

Actually, the Mets are Amazing!

minus one

That is EXACTLY what I thought when I heard it.

I've been on the upper deck of that stadium and I remember standing at that rail feeling really creeped out. I don't do well with heights anyway, but I couldn't believe that little rail was the only barrier to that steep of a drop. I wasn't at all surprised by the story. I'm kind of surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I'm really bad with heights, and we get front row upper deck for the Sabres for a few games, splitting a season package.............I can't stand all the way up for the national anthem. I'll lean back a little in my seat. That rail looks real short to me.

That is EXACTLY what I thought when I heard it.

I'm really bad with heights, and we get front row upper deck for the Sabres for a few games, splitting a season package.............I can't stand all the way up for the national anthem. I'll lean back a little in my seat. That rail looks real short to me.

You remember the old "Oranges" @ The Aud... Those were the terror of my youth! Going to Braves games, sitting up there on our free Dairylea milk carton tickets!

Anything to move down to "The Blues" when there was an open seat!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You remember the old "Oranges" @ The Aud... Those were the terror of my youth! Going to Braves games, sitting up there on our free Dairylea milk carton tickets!

Totally!

Kiner's Korner! :thumbsup:

That poor bastard. Went from slurring because he was always hammered to slurring after his stroke. But every Mets fan loved him!!! Classy of the Mets/network(s) to keep him on for as long as they did.

I used to also go to a few games a year in the first row Oranges. A neighbor had seasons.............I was a kid, so the bar went up higher, but I still think that was the beginning of my fear of heights!

Here's an article from 2009 about railings in stadiums....

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/Stadium-Arena/should-building-codes-be-changed-to-keep-fans-from-falling-out-of-their-seats.html

The International Building Code calls for a minimum height of 42 inches for railings at the base of aisles, and sightline issues here are often unavoidable (though frequently addressed through the specification of Plexiglas or mesh barriers, or flat, angled steel as opposed to tubular railings). In front of fixed seating, the minimum requirement drops to 26 inches, or roughly knee height, regardless of the potential fall distance from the deck. "The reason it's allowed to be lower is you're walking parallel to it, not straight into it," says Greg Sweeney, director of technical design at Rossetti, the architecture firm that designed Ottawa's Scotiabank Place, where last December a man tripped in the aisle and sailed out of the arena's third level.

I read that! Shocking. I mentioned that we changed all our railings on the lock from 29" or so to 42". That's all we do is walk parallel to the railing!

They built the lock chambers' original railing low back in 1960. There had to be some logic to why they went low, not just cost. Now, OSHA wants 42". I heard it's because people can be tempted to sit on a low railing, and then fall backwards.

I thought maybe they had the stadiums railing @ 26" so as not to interfere w/the sight line when sitting. I can stomach that logic. OR, maybe they grandfathered in the stadium until it could be rehabbed like they did @ my work.

I didn't look @ the layout of the stadium, but boo-bird fell into the lower aisle, not a row of seats. Do aisles line up or are they staggered in that stadium? I assumed he went down the aisle to the railing to boo, leaned over and fell. Fell onto the lower aisle.

NOW... Get this. We installed the railing (which protects you from falling into the river, about 5-10 feet)... NEAR WATER of course. During the winter when the water was iced over, we were required to have fall protection (harness belayed to an anchor point) when installing the the new railing. BUT, if it was open water, no fall protection was needed. This is understandable I guess, falling on thick ice is like concrete. So, this is what we did soas not have to wear a harness. We sent a boat out into the chamber to break all the ice up! No harness needed. Every morning, out came the "icebreaker." LoL...