What reporter is first with who the new QB is?

EJ deserves a bunch of credit, and who I think should be the starting QB... My 7 observations from tonight's game: http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-bills-43-steelers-19

I had to rub my eyes a couple of times. I also restarted my computer to make sure this wasn't a glitch.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No nothing is absolute, but 4 years is a clear trend. I could understand if it was a year or maybe two where he played poorly and/or got injured, but four?

Weeeeellllll...I could be wrong, but I view Cassel as the ultimate system QB.

2008: looked great in Josh McDaniels redesign which made it run-first

2009: looked like Doggie-doo when Haley fired Chan Gailey and took over right before the season

2010: looked great in a Ground-n-Pound run-first Charlie Weiss offense

2011, 2012: looked horrid in Bill Muir/Brian DaBoll offense, which is kind of analogous to looking horrid with Hackett/Marrone

2013: up and down year in relief of Christian Ponder. Looked good at times in a run-centric O - won 3 lost 2 once he took over at the end of the season, which projects out to a 10 win season.

2014: looked good in the first game with AP, looked absolutely atrocious in the 2nd game against NE*** with AP out and no one else in the RB cupboard, injured 3rd game.

So...I think it's a bit harsh to say he "looked bad the last 4 years". I think he's looked how he's always looked - pretty good in a run-first O with a D strong enough to shut down the opponent, pretty bad if he's expected to run the show in a pass-to-set-up-the-run kind of scheme. And even in the run-first O, he is inconsistent and has bad weeks, when the D lets them slip behind or the opponent is really stuffing the run and they have to pass.

The paradox of Cassel is that the argument is, he's the veteran superior at reading and interpreting D and making the right choices. Yet in his career, he's been exposed when he's been asked to run a sophisticated, pass-first offense where he's out there every play reading the D and deciding what to do. Why is that? Is it that he can't read and react fast enough when the fur is flying, even though he's a smart hardworking guy in the film room by all accounts? Is it that his physical tools let him down when he needs to depend on them too much? (I don't think it's an accident that Fitz had his best year ever in a Texans "give it to Arian Foster" offense).

The bottom line is I think Cassel can look like the safer choice on paper (or in the film room), but he isn't the safer choice on grass or turf on Sunday.

Edit: this is my own view but I think it's fair to acknowledge that this is exactly what QB pundit Greg Cosell has said about him

EJ deserves a bunch of credit, and who I think should be the starting QB... My 7 observations from tonight's game: http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-bills-43-steelers-19

I had to rub my eyes a couple of times. I also restarted my computer to make sure this wasn't a glitch.

This is Exhibit A of why, if you're a player or a coach, you're a fool if you take the media too seriously praise or blame. They follow the latest wind to craft a storyline, and that makes them fickle.

Edited by Hopeful

No nothing is absolute, but 4 years is a clear trend. I could understand if it was a year or maybe two where he played poorly and/or got injured, but four?

I hear you. Just trying to come up with a reasonable explanation for what the Bills' thinking was/is. Without knowing how Taylor and EJ would perform, they obviously weren't ready to potentially throw away the season without bringing a veteran into the mix.

@ByTimGraham: Spoke to source close to one of the Bills QBs. He tells me Rex has given "no word" on who the starter will be.

Again, I think they have been instructed not to leak the info.

I agree with the bolded, but as soon as QB #3 finds out, this will get leaked.

He just said that on Mike and Mike. Compared a bit to the RG3 situation in that each guy has his supporters in the organization and there is a difference of opinion as the other thread stated.

I don't think Schefter has any inside information here. I think he'll end up being right, but it isn't because he knows something, IMO.

I read that this morning and read it as "Roman is softening on his allegiance to Cassel."

Did anyone actually believe that he had an allegiance to Cassel? I always took it to mean that he was reticent to come here unless we had a veteran QB on the roster.....I assume because he had no idea how bad/good EJ or TT were going to be. That QB happened to become Cassel(could have been any vet QB)....and subsequently it has been clearly shown that Cassel has been outperformed by the young guys. Why would Roman have an allegiance to Cassel?

I think that has been a bit overblown, for the most part. And from what I hear, Roman has been on board with TT for a couple weeks at least. As I posted earlier, I'm heard weeks ago they had some general feelings about the QB position, and at the time it was Rex for TT and Roman for Cassel. But with no other info coming out, it becomes big news and blown out of proportion.

More whispers or opinion:

104.5 The Team

Adam Schefter tells @MikeAndMike that he thinks Tyrod Taylor will be the starting QB for the #Bills

Same whispers, actually.

So everybody has a favorite and supposedly Rex was going to choose today but not say anything. In this day and age it will leak so... what reporter is first with the correct info (of course ESPN will claim first...lol)? I will go with Schefter or Glazer national and Carruci local....

Schefter announcing the Bills pick up RGIII!

Schefter announcing the Bills pick up RGIII!

PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone actually believe that he had an allegiance to Cassel? I always took it to mean that he was reticent to come here unless we had a veteran QB on the roster.....I assume because he had no idea how bad/good EJ or TT were going to be. That QB happened to become Cassel(could have been any vet QB)....and subsequently it has been clearly shown that Cassel has been outperformed by the young guys. Why would Roman have an allegiance to Cassel?

honestly? I think so. It was repeated here enough.

That or the trolling is at a new high.