323 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start vs. Indy?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow - I wonder how Elway or Payton Manning connected with their black teammates? Perhaps they made a mean soul dish? In the lockeroom - respect is won on the field, in the weightroom, etch.. The argument about race of the QB is the craziest thing I have read on this site in a long time...

Is it? In this world, as much as we want it to be different, race is a big part of what effects perceptions. I want the best qb, but if you have three qb's who offer me an equal chance to win, I want to play with the one that I relate to and who relates to me the best. That's the same in the workplace. Don't take this from a caucasian perspective. As an African-American ( or a racial minority in general), you have had to overcome perceptions and inequalities. This is inevitable. If your team leader is someone that has overcome these as well to reach a high degree of success, are you or are you not more likely to relate to that individual based on those premises? If, in turn, that same team leader is a high performer with strong leadership, does that not automatically draw you in even closer? Just my two cents, but worth discussing nonetheless.

But here's the thing.

When I wrote my previous comment I wanted to point out whether it's really coaching, or if it's just EJ's natural learning curve.

I'd say it's a bit of both. Once a player can stop thinking of all the little thinks he can concentrate on just making his reads and everything else will just be muscle memory. At the same time coaches have to put the players in a position to succeed. Roman has done a much better job of that than Marrone/Hackett ever did.

I

Wow - I wonder how Elway or Payton Manning connected with their black teammates? Perhaps they made a mean soul dish? In the lockeroom - respect is won on the field, in the weightroom, etch.. The argument about race of the QB is the craziest thing I have read on this site in a long time...

Historically speaking the race of the QB did matter to upper management and coaches and some players. A black QB was not wanted or accepted. From documentaries I've seen the Bills own Marlin Briscoe was rookie of the year in Denver playing QB (after taking over for an injured starter) and was moved out of the position the next season. Never played it in the NFL again. Warren Moon had to go to Canada. Back in the day, black players, playing on "mixed" teams were funneled to skill positions even if they desired and might have had the skills to play QB, and it would start at the pop warner level.

Now days I don't think it matters at all, thankfully. A guy can play or he can't. But it took decades to get to that point.

But here's the thing.

When I wrote my previous comment I wanted to point out whether it's really coaching, or if it's just EJ's natural learning curve.

If you've ever taken golf lessons, there's a period in time where all you think about is your body position and mechanics. It takes a lot of repetitions and muscle memory. The NFL QB position probably has 50x the amount of knowledge that needs to be absorbed into the subconscious before you can just "let it fly".

How do we know it was poor coaching by Marrone and company, and not just EJ absorbing the nuances of the position and now that he's gotten it, he's starting to play without thinking too much.

Because it was reported they told him that, he said they told him that, then he said I'm no longer going to play like that and every thing we have seen has backed that up.

Nothing is all coaching or all player but in this case coaching has made an enormous impact. EJ himself couldn't tell you how much. Part of it is more experience. But if they were still here and telling him don't do this and that like they were versus Roman telling him do what you do best he clearly wouldn't be playing as he has.

But here's the thing.

If you've ever taken golf lessons, there's a period in time where all you think about is your body position and mechanics. It takes a lot of repetitions and muscle memory. The NFL QB position probably has 50x the amount of knowledge that needs to be absorbed into the subconscious before you can just "let it fly".

How do we know it was poor coaching by Marrone and company, and not just EJ absorbing the nuances of the position and now that he's gotten it, he's starting to play without thinking too much.

Every QB that played for Marrone/Hacket had the same issues, the greatest of which was the inability to score in the red zone.this was not just an EJ issue.

I don't see how people would choose Manuel over Taylor. Taylor has a lot more zip on his throws, he's better at escaping the rush, better at going through his progressions quickly, has better accuracy, and he's a lot faster. There's no doubt Taylor should be named starter in my opinion. Manuel has looked good, but I'd rather them go with Taylor.

In my experience playing sports, at first players prefer the guy they like most, whether that's white or black. But once a guy has earned it, they will respect that guy. But if he hasn't, it's going to be a mark against him.

I always think about Joe Flacco and how Ray Lewis made his early career miserable, getting the team to root for Troy Smith.

Hmmm. In my experience players want the guy who proves to be the best player at the position. If it's even, then it comes down to who they like.

Historically speaking the race of the QB did matter to upper management and coaches and some players. A black QB was not wanted or accepted. From documentaries I've seen the Bills own Marlin Briscoe was rookie of the year in Denver playing QB (after taking over for an injured starter) and was moved out of the position the next season. Never played it in the NFL again. Warren Moon had to go to Canada. Back in the day, black players, playing on "mixed" teams were funneled to skill positions even if they desired and might have had the skills to play QB, and it would start at the pop warner level.

Now days I don't think it matters at all, thankfully. A guy can play or he can't. But it took decades to get to that point.

Marlin Briscoe played in the NFL for eight years. He only played QB for one year, with the Broncos. Was traded to Bills you made him a receiver. During his time with the Bills one of the QBs he played with was James Harris who is black.

I don't see how people would choose Manuel over Taylor. Taylor has a lot more zip on his throws, he's better at escaping the rush, better at going through his progressions quickly, has better accuracy, and he's a lot faster. There's no doubt Taylor should be named starter in my opinion. Manuel has looked good, but I'd rather them go with Taylor.

It comes down to grooming a starter, EJ has the metrics and starts to look like the NFL QB we've been longing for. As said earlier though we can't neglect TT his score to drive ratio of 77% versus EJs 48%. EJ seems the route to the future the way he is playing currently, that said TT has been more consistent. It took the Dolphins 3 years of starting Tannehill to get their QB; it looks like EJ is getting there too.

Hmmm. In my experience players want the guy who proves to be the best player at the position. If it's even, then it comes down to who they like.

I just think it's like that in everything. People want the guy they like more. If they don't like you, you have to really prove yourself and overcome the bad vibes until they can't deny it anymore.

I really don't understand how anyone who has seen the preseason games could vote for anyone but Tyrod taylor. Frankly, the guy has been phenomenal. Tied with EJ? That talk makes me sick.

When Taylor also completes the TD passes EJ did last week and this week, then you can get sick about it.

A lot of people are downgrading EJs home run throws as being easy. The point is the others don't even see those opportunities. Cassel is looking to check down as soon as he drops back. Tyrod may be too short to see over the defense.

one of the 2 guys on NFLN said EJ's TD pass to Clay was easy because the defender fell down.

during the pregame he said he was a fan of TT numerous times

I don't see how people would choose Manuel over Taylor. Taylor has a lot more zip on his throws.

I'm gonna request your zipometer gets calibrated. Not sure this is true.

His mechanics look good and effortless, not sure he's got a cannon like Ej does though.

I like them both. Death to Meh.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

If I were Rex I would start EJ.

I'm not Rex - Tyrod will start, which will be fine as long as he continues to play like he has so far. It looks like the improved line play and better offensive play calling are the factors which have allowed both guys to be effective.

I just watched the post game interview with EJ. This kid knows he will get his chance to start soon enough. EJ, "See guys open, I throw them the ball." Looks like the game is slowing down for him and he could be a beast at QB in the future. Isn't this what all of us wanted? The 6'5'' 240 lb guy we selected in the first round to play QB, who has the work ethic and fight, to look like he belongs?!

A case could be made for EJ over TT.

For now, TT gives us a better chance to win in the short term but tell EJ to keep preparing as a starter. If TT gets injured or falters, EJ you're up.

Marlin Briscoe played in the NFL for eight years. He only played QB for one year, with the Broncos. Was traded to Bills you made him a receiver. During his time with the Bills one of the QBs he played with was James Harris who is black.

Right. The year he playd QB he was rookie of the year if i recall the documentary correctly. And he never played QB again. True on James Harris. Before my time. He wound up doing well with the Rams from what I've read. Don't know what happened with him in Buff. They weren't very good over those years. Who was the other QB, Shaw or something like that? Maybe the older heads can kick in on that.

Edited by purple haze