Leo Roth: The "All Playoff Drought" Team

YoloinOhio

I'd replace Josh Reed with Bobby Shaw. Ashton Youboty and Coy Wire in the secondary if Watson doesn't qualify. God did he suck,

Don't forget the likes of John McCargo, Tutan Reyes, Terrance Pennington, Melvin Fowler and Mike Gandy. All of which sum up the average to below average football the past 15 years,

I think that a bunch of the guys at the bottom would meet the minimum. There were some atrocious OL but nothing compares to the TEs.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no idea David Leo Roth was a sports writer now. No wonder they didn't ask him back for the last tour.

And Kelly Holcomb could being a whole new level of suck to that team.

Edited by mastershake

Chidi Ahonotu. I don't know if he was THAT bad (certainly non-descript), but that name always stuck in my mind. Didn't he decide to live in a condo in Toronto?

And there was a return guy in around 2001-2002 with blazing speed. Like 4.27 crazy schit. And he would catch the ball on kickoffs, light the burners, and climb right up the back of his blockers. Never broke a big one. He just couldn't see a hole developing. Never saw anyone hit the wall so fast in your life.

McCargo has to be on the list. A huge reach who the Bills traded up to draft near the end of round 1. Most everyone exclaimed "WTF?" and most everyone was right. He was Mario's d-line mate at NC State, and was the third of 3 NCS d-linemen drafted in the first round that year. Hard to believe.

And Torrell Troupe has to make the list as well.

Edited by mannc

Let's give it a go (minimum 10 games started):

QB: Alex Van Pelt (he would later become a horrible OC)

RB:

FB:

WR1 Donald Jones

WR2: Josh Reed

OT: Demtress Bell

OG: Derrick Dockery

C: Duke Preston

OG: Brad Butler

OT: Kirk Chambers or Mike Williams

TE: Derek Schouman

DE: Ryan Denney

DT: Larry Triplett

DT: Tim Anderson

DE: Chris Kelsay

LB: Keith Ellison

LB: Kelvin Sheppard

LB: John DiGiorgio

CB:

CB:

SS:

FS: Ko Simpson

that's what I have so far...

Maybin has to be not this team, he should be the defensive captain

Someone else suggested McCargo = yes

QB: Brian Broehm ??? (whoops, not 10 games), Okay - JP Lose-man

Edited by CSBill

Eddie Robinson being faked out of his jock by an injured and even slower than usual Chad Pennington automatically makes him Defensive Captain

Found it...

chad-juke.gif

:lol:

It's comical to think back on that now. My brother and I just looked at each other in the stands after that play with a 'should we just leave now' look.

Brad Butler was actually a fairly decent player.

I second the Terrence McGee play as the best KR I ever saw. Sucked he didn't score.

Brad Butler was a decent player before he unexpectedly retired early to go to law school or becone a government official? I think he perfectly fits on the list! I think he even retired after the draft and before the season.

Reggie Corner. Whoever that RB was behind Fred and Spiller under Chan.

You don't mean Joique Bell do you?

Watson was the worst.

Watson the punt catcher as apposed to the punt returner?!

Oh man, I think that a handful of plays summed up the last 15 years and that is one. Nick Folk's back-to-back bombs in 2007 (think '07) and McGee's kick return before halftime against the Saints in San Antonio in 2005 are the others to me.

In true Bills fashion though after that incredible return he fell four yards short of the end zone! I was in attendance at that game. It was a great weekend.

In true Bills fashion though after that incredible return he fell four yards short of the end zone! I was in attendance at that game. It was a great weekend.

I think that play sums up what it means to be a Bills fan better than anything. There are just unbelievable moments but in the end you wind up falling just short.

How is Rob Johnson not the QB on this team? No way I can do AVP like that. Dude would have won the 1996 playoff game against the Squealers if Marv had left him in. AVP takes the team the length of the field for a TD after Kelly got concussed. Jimbo goes back in, throws 2 INT's, game over. For SS, I give the nod to Raion "Contain" Hill (if you don't get that reference, shame on you). For kickers, Shayne Graham or Jake Arians, hands down. Also at DT, Torell Troup is a first ballot selection for this team.

How is Rob Johnson not the QB on this team? No way I can do AVP like that. Dude would have won the 1996 playoff game against the Squealers if Marv had left him in. AVP takes the team the length of the field for a TD after Kelly got concussed. Jimbo goes back in, throws 2 INT's, game over. For SS, I give the nod to Raion "Contain" Hill (if you don't get that reference, shame on you). For kickers, Shayne Graham or Jake Arians, hands down. Also at DT, Torell Troup is a first ballot selection for this team.

I think people missed the criteria of minimum 10 starts, Torell Troup never started. Either did Maybin.

As for AVP he went 2-6 in extended starting time in 2001, he was bad.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I think people missed the criteria of minimum 10 starts, Torell Troup never started. Either did Maybin.

My bad on Troup, he only started 2 games. Rob Johnson was 5-14 as a Bills QB, 4-7 in 2000 when Flutie was 4-1. I give AVP points for past service, and I'll never forget that drive in the Squealer's game.

I'd rather Gregg Williams as HC than Dick Jauron. Gregg was more of a risk taker. Although I wouldn't mind a re-hash of the Dick Jauron song!!

Hated those Jauron years. He coached trying not to lose rather than going for it to win. Two of the worst examples: At the Ralph against the Pats. 50+ mile an hour winds, he calls plays to get into position to take the lead BY TRYING A FIELD GOAL from about 25 yards out rather than work the ball in for a TD! Serious Dick? Seriously??? After the kick traveled about 8 yards, it took a complete 90 degree turn to the left and never even made it to the goal line!

The other game was a 6-3 loss to the lowly Browns. Like watching paint dry!

:lol:

It's comical to think back on that now. My brother and I just looked at each other in the stands after that play with a 'should we just leave now' look.

LOL! That video clip says it all. That Bill defender moved more like a pirate with a wooden leg than he did a top athlete in the NFL. "Comical" is correct.

It hits the mark even better when the 10 starts were by design instead of injury.