EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

I don't think there is much chance of EJ starting week one either. But we don't know what is going to happen in the game yet. Hint: It's in the future. Chances are very good that EJ is not going to blow the other two out of the water enough to change the coaches minds. But they probably didn't think he would show the mettle he did at the end of last week. I think they all but have their minds made up who they want to start like most of us do. This is the final test and probably won't change that but it could, for any of the three.

I think Cassel starts. I want Taylor to start. It would be great if EJ starts (only because that would mean he was absolutely phenomenal on Saturday with all the pressure on him).

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@salmaiorana

It’s Manuel’s turn to start for #Bills. I’m not sure we should read anything into it though. http://on.rocne.ws/1F1sN9H

What interests me here is seemingly selective reporter memory. Before the 2nd preseason game, reporters tried hard to get Rex to comment and commit to who would start the 3rd preseason game, and he refused. Reporters tried hard to get Rex to comment on whether EJ would get any more time with the 1s, and he likewise refused and commented on how EJ started the scrimmage, as if that were the same.

So if you remember those comments, it's hard not to think that something changed for Rex and/or his assistants in the 2nd preseason game, and decided them to give Manuel a shot to start a preseason game.

Rex yesterday "Nobody can say that all 3 didn't get a fair shot." That's really the bottom line.

I don't buy this as the bottom line. A HC isn't about "giving a fair shot" to everybody, he's about winning. I think the bottom line is the following quote: "Nobody can say that nobody was given a fair shot here. EJ earned a shot at this. He played well in those two games".

Those who "don't want to read anything into this" emphasize the first sentence and read it as "oh, Rex is just being fair and giving EJ his turn, but it doesn't mean anything". I call shenanigans, Rex is running a professional sports franchise not the Freshman HS team. I think the key is the 2nd sentence - either Rex or his assistants saw something in the 2nd game that led them to change their minds and give EJ a chance to play behind the starting OL against someone else's D

@viccarucci

My three thoughts on the #Bills' QB situation: http://bit.ly/1Jq58no

I think it's fair to say that none of the three starters have really distanced themselves from the competition (Carucci's Point #3). Whether or not Rex really cares, it's hard to say - when we are missing so many starters still at RB and WR (McCoy, Watkins, Harvin, Woods), no one can really get that "tune up" with the starters, so is Rex just "rolling with it" and taking another look at his QBs since the traditional "tune up" function will be left in the shop no matter who starts?

One thing that still seems contradictory - pointing out that whether or not Rex admits it, the 3rd game is held to have a significant role for an NFL team's readiness and that a 3-way-shot doesn't give much opportunity, but then twice reiterating that it's really still a two man race between Cassel and Taylor (in his view).

If it's really a two man race, why would Rex dilute the opportunity of the real candidates with whatever reps he gives to EJ?

@mikerodak

EJ Manuel will start tomorrow's game for the Bills, but does it matter? http://es.pn/1Vhs5

Look, I haven't been at the practices. Some who have, have said that EJM has looked to be the 3rd best QB all training camp. There have also been assessments (# completions, whether something was an outright bad throw or a miscue) that have differed between some of our respected posters and the media at times, leading to the suggestion that the media seems to have gotten its teeth into a story (1st round draft pick with great work ethic and personality tragically flawed and worth cat-doot in the NFL) and run with it. Maybe EJM is out of it.

But I see something a bit misleading in this:

"Will Manuel be running the first-team offense? Yes. Will that group include LeSean McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods or Percy Harvin? Nope."

This sounds like the other two QB might get something EJM doesn't (the stars). Otherwise why not say "Will that group, for any of the QB, include..." or "will the game include..." to make it clear those guys just won't be suiting up.

And I see flawed logic in this:

"In reality, the only difference between Manuel running the second-team and third-team offenses (as he did in the first two preseason games) and the first-team offense (as he will Saturday) will be his offensive line. Manuel will have the starting line in front of him, which is a major upgrade from the Bills' shaky second unit up front."

Leaving aside whether I think any of the other players starting with the 1st may be an upgrade, Rodak and others want to use EJM running the 2nds and 3rds as evidence that he's not in the race. Fair enough, but you then can't use "minimal difference between the 2nds and 3rds" as evidence that starting the game with the 1sts doesn't matter.

Edited by Hopeful

The thing is, these guys are paid to talk about the 32 NFL teams. They shouldn't be outsiders. Either get better information or shut the f*** up. I expect more from journalists and sports reporters. Not lazy crap. I understand it's a lot to get accurate info and feel for every team, but again, that's their job. They're just lazy, that's what it comes down to.

Isn't that pretty much true of all media in the TV and internet age where sound bites, appearance, and clicks matter more than astute and careful analysis?

I thought Jimmy Kimmel made that point pretty well with his "twerking fail" prank on the news.

What interests me here is seemingly selective reporter memory. Before the 2nd preseason game, reporters tried hard to get Rex to comment and commit to who would start the 3rd preseason game, and he refused. Reporters tried hard to get Rex to comment on whether EJ would get any more time with the 1s, and he likewise refused and commented on how EJ started the scrimmage, as if that were the same.

So if you remember those comments, it's hard not to think that something changed for Rex and/or his assistants in the 2nd preseason game, and decided them to give Manuel a shot to start a preseason game.

I don't buy this as the bottom line. A HC isn't about "giving a fair shot" to everybody, he's about winning. I think the bottom line is the following quote: "Nobody can say that nobody was given a fair shot here. EJ earned a shot at this. He played well in those two games".

Those who "don't want to read anything into this" emphasize the first sentence and read it as "oh, Rex is just being fair and giving EJ his turn, but it doesn't mean anything". I call shenanigans, Rex is running a professional sports franchise not the Freshman HS team. I think the key is the 2nd sentence - either Rex or his assistants saw something in the 2nd game that led them to change their minds and give EJ a chance to play behind the starting OL against someone else's D

I think it's fair to say that none of the three starters have really distanced themselves from the competition (Carucci's Point #3). Whether or not Rex really cares, it's hard to say - when we are missing so many starters still at RB and WR (McCoy, Watkins, Harvin, Woods), no one can really get that "tune up" with the starters, so is Rex just "rolling with it" and taking another look at his QBs since the traditional "tune up" function will be left in the shop no matter who starts?

One thing that still seems contradictory - pointing out that whether or not Rex admits it, the 3rd game is held to have a significant role for an NFL team's readiness and that a 3-way-shot doesn't give much opportunity, but then twice reiterating that it's really still a two man race between Cassel and Taylor (in his view).

If it's really a two man race, why would Rex dilute the opportunity of the real candidates with whatever reps he gives to EJ?

Look, I haven't been at the practices. Some who have, have said that EJM has looked to be the 3rd best QB all training camp. There have also been assessments (# completions, whether something was an outright bad through or a miscue) that have differed between some of our respected posters and the media at times, leading to the suggestion that the media seems to have gotten its teeth into a story (1st round draft pick with great work ethic and personality tragically flawed and worth cat-doot in the NFL) and run with it. Maybe EJM is out of it.

"Will Manuel be running the first-team offense? Yes. Will that group include LeSean McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods or Percy Harvin? Nope."

This sounds like the other two QB might get something EJM doesn't (the stars). Otherwise why not say "Will that group, for any of the QB, include..." or "will the game include..." to make it clear those guys just won't be suiting up.

"In reality, the only difference between Manuel running the second-team and third-team offenses (as he did in the first two preseason games) and the first-team offense (as he will Saturday) will be his offensive line. Manuel will have the starting line in front of him, which is a major upgrade from the Bills' shaky second unit up front."

Leaving aside whether I think any of the other players starting with the 1st may be an upgrade, Rodak and others want to use EJM running the 2nds and 3rds as evidence that he's not in the race. Fair enough, but you then can't use "minimal difference between the 2nds and 3rds" as evidence that starting the game with the 1sts doesn't matter.

i believe Rex sad "no one can say" he didn't give EJ a fair chance because he cares about what the team thinks and how the competition will ultimately be perceived. I do not believe he cares whether he did, in fact, do that.

The starting reps are meaningless IMO and just for optics and the potential chance it will make Indy spend time planning for yet another QB. They are all taking 1st team reps. Someone has to go first. Might as well be him. Checks some boxes. They know who they want, IMO.

The only way it would mean anything based on what we've heard for 3 months is if he played with the 1st team this week and the other two didn't. The other 2 games, did EJ get 1st team reps too like MC and TT will tomorrow? No.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i believe Rex sad "no one can say" he didn't give EJ a fair chance because he cares about what the team thinks and how the competition will ultimately be perceived. I do not believe he cares whether he did, in fact, do that.

The starting reps are meaningless IMO and just for optics and the potential chance it will make Indy spend time planning for yet another QB. They are all taking 1sr reps. Someone has to go first. Might as well be him. Checks some boxes. They know who they want, IMO.

He may not be doing this if the practices were still open to the public because there would be more transparency. Edited by Kelly the Dog

Look, I haven't been at the practices. Some who have, have said that EJM has looked to be the 3rd best QB all training camp. There have also been assessments (# completions, whether something was an outright bad throw or a miscue) that have differed between some of our respected posters and the media at times, leading to the suggestion that the media seems to have gotten its teeth into a story (1st round draft pick with great work ethic and personality tragically flawed and worth cat-doot in the NFL) and run with it. Maybe EJM is out of it.

Good post!

But stop with the logic ... it isn't helping those reporter arguments.

He may not be doing this if the practices were still open to the public because there would be more transparency.

of course! Unless I'm missing something it makes good sense. He already said the decision will be made internally after this game. Now they practice privately with the starter for 2 weeks and announce externally as late as possible.

Just got word this morning- coaches' minds already made up, starting Manuel is a charade mostly to mess with Indianapolis and/or to see if he has any trade value. He has no chance of starting on opening day. Take it to the bank. According to a pretty credible source, I'm pretty sure I know who is starting. Carry on.

Not questioning your source, but this argument seems pretty weak. Aren't these professional football teams? I am sure they are going to be prepared for any of the 3, regardless. To use this as an excuse to play EJ first seems juvenile and should really put Rex in a bad light as far as I am concerned.

Also, the trade value argument goes directly against Rex's claim they will probably keep all 3.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

This argument seems pretty weak. Aren't these professional football teams? I am sure they are going to be prepared for any of the 3, regardless. To use this as an excuse to play EJ first seems juvenile and should really put Rex in a bad light as far as I am concerned.

Also, the trade value argument goes directly against Rex's claim they will probably keep all 3.

No he said they will keep 3 QB's. He never said he would keep those 3.

This argument seems pretty weak. Aren't these professional football teams? I am sure they are going to be prepared for any of the 3, regardless. To use this as an excuse to play EJ first seems juvenile and should really put Rex in a bad light as far as I am concerned.

they are all playing with the first team. The fact he is going first is irrelevant. If he was playing with the first team and the other two with the 2nd/third... That would be relevant. Keeping the option open that he could start with Indy is something that could not hurt. While its not his main intention I think it's an offshoot that as a defensive mind he knows could in fact help and could not hurt. IMO.

The 2-3 series he is "wasting" with EJ by not giving the time to the other two is greatly minimized by the fact that no starters are playing anyway besides the line and possibly TE.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I have no reason to doubt Metz and his source. But I also wonder whether Rex & Co. are surprised about how well EJ showed in the first two games - EJ may be a better game player than practice player, and we know that he's a better two minute offense guy than a first 28 minute guy. He seems to turn it up when the pressure is on, so perhaps they're intrigued... odds are still heavy that Cassel starts against Indy, TT backs him up, and EJ is inactive or traded. But I'm excited to see what he shows us tomorrow, you never know.

Just got word this morning- coaches' minds already made up, starting Manuel is a charade mostly to mess with Indianapolis and/or to see if he has any trade value. He has no chance of starting on opening day. Take it to the bank. According to a pretty credible source, I'm pretty sure I know who is starting. Carry on.

Dude..... you can't leave us hanging like that.......not cool.....

I concur.

I have no reason to doubt Metz and his source. But I also wonder whether Rex & Co. are surprised about how well EJ showed in the first two games - EJ may be a better game player than practice player, and we know that he's a better two minute offense guy than a first 28 minute guy. He seems to turn it up when the pressure is on, so perhaps they're intrigued... odds are still heavy that Cassel starts against Indy, TT backs him up, and EJ is inactive or traded. But I'm excited to see what he shows us tomorrow, you never know.

I don't think anyone on that coaching staff is anywhere near confident that the guy who starts against Indy will start all of the other 15 games. I know I'd be shocked. If nothing else, perhaps Rex is just doing his due diligence to see what he options are when/if Taylor or Cassel starts to suck.

I still think EJ is the best QB on the team.

metzelaars_lives, on 28 Aug 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

Not questioning your source, but this argument seems pretty weak. Aren't these professional football teams? I am sure they are going to be prepared for any of the 3, regardless. To use this as an excuse to play EJ first seems juvenile and should really put Rex in a bad light as far as I am concerned.

For sanity sake I hope Metz source isn't :censored: with him

I don't think there is much chance of EJ starting week one either. But we don't know what is going to happen in the game yet. Hint: It's in the future. Chances are very good that EJ is not going to blow the other two out of the water enough to change the coaches minds. But they probably didn't think he would show the mettle he did at the end of last week. I think they all but have their minds made up who they want to start like most of us do. This is the final test and probably won't change that but it could, for any of the three.

I think Cassel starts. I want Taylor to start. It would be great if EJ starts (only because that would mean he was absolutely phenomenal on Saturday with all the pressure on him).

I don't see a big difference in Cassel and EJ ability wise if anything EJ has a better overall skill set. The idea is that Cassel is a better game manager veteran experience etc. I don't understand why Cassel has bounced around so much since he has everything you want in a qb... ( sarcasm)

If they want TT to start because he brings the mobility the other two don't have I get that. But if it's Cassel they want there is no way I start him over EJ . EJ's ceiling is way higher and we already know what Cassel has he won't get any better.

just this man's 2 cents

Edited by BeefCurtns