EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

I saw that all 4 of our top WRs are out. So, by playing with the 1s, it means playing with the 3s, I guess.

I've said it before, that's good for EJ. He's been with the 3s/scout team since the start of camp it seems so he should be more comfortable/familiar with them than the other 2 even though they have had a lesser amount of reps with them.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE this thread. For once, we appear to have a coach with some cajones. He's going to run the show his way, press be damned. He said clearly that EJ earned the start, and they just can't stand that. Good for Rex. EJ is too big an investment just to throw away.

So many great posts, I couldn't go back and quote them all. For the Ich bin ein ABC'er, great JFK reference. For the guy who posted about Schopp and his time at WNSA, I remember that show fondly. It was the anti-Coach show, and Schopp got a lot of callers who were tired of being abused by Dickerson. 15 years later, Schopp is now the Coach, and abuses callers on a daily basis. He is no longer "thinking man's sports talk radio".

GO ERIK, and GO BILLS!!!

I have no doubt that Metz has a credible source who gave him the information with good intentions but I don't believe the decision is set in stone already in One Bills Drive. There is probably an aknowledgement around the building that X is probably the guy and I believe based on other things I have been told from elsewhere that X is Matt Cassel I just do not believe that it is unchangeable no matter what. Look for who the second rotation through is tomorrow I think that will be significant but I they know 100% their guy then they would be using every opportunity now to get him ready.

I believe much more that they want tomorrow to confirm their thoughts. My position on EJ hasn't changed since the end of last week's game. He went from no shot to longshot. I still put his odds of starting at around 10%.

I don't know this but I can't imagine who goes second tomorrow means anything at all.

I'm no expert. I've watched all of EJ's games (obviously), and as soon as they signed Cassel, I went back to watch a lot of his games.

I wouldn't give either guy a significant edge in passing talent. EJ throws a better long ball that has more velocity and looks to be on the right trajectory most of the time. Give him a clean pocket and he can drop it in the bucket. Matt Cassel, less so. That's arm strength and control. Cassel has better mechanics, which lends to better accuracy in the short to intermediate game. EJ's footwork is sloppy. Sometimes it'll look natural and other times it looks completely out-of-synch with his upper body. Sometimes he won't set his feet or opens up his hips too much, which completely throws off his follow-through and results in a ball in the dirt or over-thrown. Mechanics can be taught, and EJ works hard, which is why he is slowly coming along. Physical ability can't be taught, which is why Cassel is who he is, in my opinion.

The big difference is pre-snap execution and I'll recall one play from the Browns game where EJ confused the pass protection and read the defense wrong. It was in the 3rd quarter on a 3rd and 4, but the Bills are clearly passing, with Manuel in shotgun, RB to his right up at the line, 3 WRs out and TE Gray standing up a few steps away from the LT Kuoundjio. Every receiver will end up running routes 10 yards up the field except Goodwin, who slants inside from the far left.

Cleveland shows two blitzers up the middle, with the line spread wide and a safety showing blitz off the LE.

So, count the men. Cleveland shows 7 guys rushing and Buffalo only has 6 guys protecting. Manuel's pretty much !@#$ed, so it's imperative that he gets the ball out fast.

Manuel makes no adjustment, except to shift the RB to the right to block the safety. Kuoundjio sees the issue and looks back at EJ. I have know idea what EJ said, but Koundjio goes back into his stance. EJ hikes the ball, the rush comes. Kuoundjio blocks the RE, while the LG goes to block the ILB, and the DT flies up the middle untouched.

Not only did EJ screw up the protection, but he failed to hit Goodwin, who was clearly his hot read, in my opinion. The CBs are covering up, Gray is running straight up the seam and Goodwin is cutting in to what should be a wide open middle. He's EJ's only option to get the ball out fast. EJ should know before the snap that he's going to Goodwin. Or he could audible out of the play, which is what I think would've been the right choice, especially if EJ is confused by the coverage.

This is where I think Cassel gets the ball off while EJ doesn't and it's all because of the pre-snap read and protection shifts. Cassel can do it. EJ is still learning, I think. I think Tyrod's shown a good handle on this type of stuff, too.

That is why Cassel needs to be kept as at least a backup at this point.

Best assessment of EJs mechanics I have seen on this sight thus far. These were the same issues that plagued him at FSU. The reason they weren't as glaring is Fisher told him to read one side of the field then take off. He had a primary and secondary and that's it. He can execute and is very cerebral, almost to the point of over thinking. When he reacts quick it's not an issue. Like I've said before he just needs time..... But that may not be a luxury at this point. I'm rooting for the guy.

On another note, I believe people have sources here. But if they are that loose lipped with the teams information it's a sad state at OBD. I got a feeling Taylor is the guy, but I don't like it. I'll trust the coaches here though. Here's to a 12 win season and hosting Vince's hardware!!

Regardless of what happens tomorrow, OBD will not make an announcement of who will start on September 13th. The guessing game will go on.

Didn't Rex say that they will announce the decision by the end of the weekend? Or just that they'll have made their decision by then?

Edit. Just found the quote. He said that they'll know by the end of the weekend, not that they'd announce it.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Devil's advocate: Cassel has had 11 yrs experience so for him to pick those things up quicker than EJ is understandable. Once EJ has seen them a few times, I would expect him to get better at picking up on them. Experience is great, but the only way to get it is to play.

Cassel also sat behind the best QB of our era as well as coaching. He should be that much ahead of both EJ and Taylor

Edited by BUFFALOTONE

I will lay dollars to donuts that the RB screwed the pooch on his blocking assignment.

And from your description of the alignments on the D side of the ball, it sounds like they were in cover-0, which is the easiest D for a QB to read. If EJ is having trouble recognizing basic coverages based on where the safeties are, he should just hang 'em up now.

GO BILLS!!!

And that's my guess on why so many professional reporters are willing to stake their reputation in calling EJ a clear #3 from what they've seen & heard in the last month.

I don't know that, but it's ultimately EJ's responsibility to get the protection lined up. He moved the RB outside and it left the two guys on the left side to block three men. If he reads the coverage right and recognizes that Goodwin is his man on a quick slant, then motion the RB left in order to block the extra man and give EJ a clear lane to throw.

Working with the 2nd string OL and a RB off the street will cause some confusion, naturally, but I think a better read and better communication from EJ would've made this a successful play.

The RB picked the blitzer (a DB) coming from the right side of the offense and the DT went untouched to sack Manuel, isn't the responsibility of the LT to blocke that play from the inside out? Meaning that Cujo needded to block the guy inside and Manuel only had to beat the DE with a quick throw?

interesting

How right you are! amazingly succinct word. All considered that has transpired since you posted this.

well done Indeed!!

The RB picked the blitzer (a DB) coming from the right side of the offense and the DT went untouched to sack Manuel, isn't the responsibility of the LT to blocke that play from the inside out? Meaning that Cujo needded to block the guy inside and Manuel only had to beat the DE with a quick throw?

I did not re watch. This play is something i am very appreciative if you smarter than me folks dissect to it finest detail. Thank you in advance.

I have no doubt that Metz has a credible source who gave him the information with good intentions but I don't believe the decision is set in stone already in One Bills Drive. There is probably an aknowledgement around the building that X is probably the guy and I believe based on other things I have been told from elsewhere that X is Matt Cassel I just do not believe that it is unchangeable no matter what. Look for who the second rotation through is tomorrow I think that will be significant but I they know 100% their guy then they would be using every opportunity now to get him ready.

I believe much more that they want tomorrow to confirm their thoughts. My position on EJ hasn't changed since the end of last week's game. He went from no shot to longshot. I still put his odds of starting at around 10%.

Too many posts to go through here, but has anyone entertained the thought the EJ is battling for the backup position with his start tomorrow. My guess is they've decided on their starter, but not on the backup.

true. It seemed funny that (to me) the long pass shown from Matt C happened to be a throw it and pray type pass.

He actually hit the crossbar. It's hard to see, and for some reason a little of the gif. is shaved off the end. At the 25...with a chance to tie the game in the waning seconds....he throws it with everything he's got...right out of the end zone. The worst Hail Mary ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E7EnBP3ruc

Edited by HoF Watkins

I think you're right in the basic understanding. That's where the communication comes in, though. Kuoundjio clearly looked back at EJ after EJ shifted the RB to the right side. EJ said something to Kuoundjio. There was some kind of miscommunication there.

With the D showing heavy pressure and CBs manning up, Goodwin becomes EJ's go-to receiver, so if he recognized that, he shouldn't have even been worried about the safety on the right. Cover up those 3 rushers on the left side and give yourself a clear throwing lane to Goodwin. I don't think we can make legitimate excuses for EJ on this one. It was 3rd and 4 against a pretty easy read, I think (hindsight's 20/20, of course). It should be a clean play if read and communicated right by the QB.

It's just one example, but I wanted to use it to show why they shouldn't "keep EJ over Cassel" at this point, as the original poster said.

Too many posts to go through here, but has anyone entertained the thought the EJ is battling for the backup position with his start tomorrow. My guess is they've decided on their starter, but not on the backup.

There are a lot of posters who are convinced that EJ has no chance of winning the starting job. And they're coming up with a number of unlikely explanations for EJ starting tomorrow.

This is the one explanation I've read that actually makes sense. It' may not be true, but at least there's some logic to it.

I personally think EJ still has a shot, albeit probably a long one. I think at least one of the more prominent coaches wanted to see what EJ can do with the ones. And Rex acquiesced.

I think you're right in the basic understanding. That's where the communication comes in, though. Kuoundjio clearly looked back at EJ after EJ shifted the RB to the right side. EJ said something to Kuoundjio. There was some kind of miscommunication there.

With the D showing heavy pressure and CBs manning up, Goodwin becomes EJ's go-to receiver, so if he recognized that, he shouldn't have even been worried about the safety on the right. Cover up those 3 rushers on the left side and give yourself a clear throwing lane to Goodwin. I don't think we can make legitimate excuses for EJ on this one. It was 3rd and 4 against a pretty easy read, I think (hindsight's 20/20, of course). It should be a clean play if read and communicated right by the QB.

It's just one example, but I wanted to use it to show why they shouldn't "keep EJ over Cassel" at this point, as the original poster said.

We agree on that.

Maybe Manuel sees a DB as a bigger threat becaus of speed and slants the protection to the right with the RB. If everyone pick up their assigments he only has a DE to beat, either with his arm targeting Goodwin or with his legs if needed.

There are a lot of posters who are convinced that EJ has no chance of winning the starting job. And they're coming up with a number of unlikely explanations for EJ starting tomorrow.

This is the one explanation I've read that actually makes sense. It' may not be true, but at least there's some logic to it.

I personally think EJ still has a shot, albeit probably a long one. I think at least one of the more prominent coaches wanted to see what EJ can do with the ones. And Rex acquiesced.

It should be noted that it took 2-3 days after the Browns game that they announce Manuel as the starter, whereas Rex immediately announced Taylor as the starter after the Panthers game.

There was clearly some discussion about it.

A lot of posters are talking about the 2 minute offensive skills of EJ and the play style of Cassel. I only post this because it is him(Cassel) playing the Bills in that situation. It the captions are interesting:

Its been 6 years and I am sure he has learned much I just found it interesting.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

A lot of posters are talking about the 2 minute offensive skills of EJ and the play style of Cassel. I only post this because it is him(Cassel) playing the Bills in that situation. It the captions are interesting:

Its been 6 years and I am sure he has learned much I just found it interesting.

I posted a bunch of these. Most are from a Chiefs fan that compiled some gems from Cassel.

Cassel is crappy. I might even go so far as to say that Fitz would be better.

Game Winning Drives

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/quarterbacks-game-winning-drive-study

"Just another bad quarterback with small average deficits, great field position, few points and yards, the second-highest field goal rate and the third-easiest WP situations. None of Cassel's nine GWDs were against playoff teams."

In other words, he doesn't get it done. They appear to want to approach games with the "just keep it close, control the ball, and win at the end"-approach, but Cassel is the wrong guy for that.

Edited by HoF Watkins