Why EJ Manuel should start in Week 1

Simon

He said that Cassel basically can't complete a throw that is more than 5 to 10 yards down field.

It kind of made me laugh, but I suspect that is more or less correct.

I think he'll be named Week 1 starter in the end.

When you go back and watch the Carolina game, for all of Matt's 7/8 that sure was apparent in the game - and his passes had a LOT less zip on them then I thought when I first looked at them. His accuracy and decisions are fine, but I can't imagine defenses will be playing at all honestly with him in there - it will be like a much worse version of Fitz.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess what guys....It's 2015. You should watch what's happening .....NOW!

When it comes to defining traits that make up who you are, examining the past is relevant.

Remember Tyrod badly taking a sack to push us into a long FG attempt and then Carpenter hit the goal post, thus losing us 3 easy points? He will learn from that. That can be fixed and it will be fixed I believe.

In contrast, the stuff that has plagued EJ throughout his career is not as easily fixed. Therein lies the rub.

But this is now just re-hashing the same old crap.

We don't have to debate it now. It will be decided for us shortly.

Pointing out that the creation of this thread was unnecessary is piling it on? Common man.

Yeah, it's not like there's any prior history of it :rolleyes:

But you left them out in your premise. And they're the ones who are making the final decision on the starter. So while EJ may still have a higher ceiling than the other two, he hasn't yet hit a floor where the coaches are willing to trust the team to him. With a roster as stacked as the Bills, I think it would be foolish to roll the dice this year. If that were the case, Pegula wouldn't be opening up the check book to sign the Red Bryants of the world as injury insurance.

My premise was that I think Manuel should start the season; that is not contingent on the coaches agreeing with me.

And I'm not buying into the limited window theory. I think between Whaley and Pegula, this franchise is set up very well for sustained long-term success.

I bet y’all are thrilled to have another thread about QB’s. Well, I haven’t posted since last year so I’m starting one whether you like it or not. :devil:

Why should EJ Manuel be the starter in Week 1? It’s not because he’s the best QB on the roster, because right now he’s no better (or even as consistent) than the other two guys he’s competing with. It’s not because he gives the Bills the best chance to win in Week 1, because right now he probably doesn’t give them any better chance than either of the other guys. The reason he should start the first game of the season is because he gives the Bills the best chance to win a Super Bowl at some point in the next 5 years.

I’ve been thinking about the dynamic we’ve been observing throughout this offseason and the one thing that keeps coming to the forefront, both with the fanbase and with the franchise, is that all anybody wants to talk about is making the playoffs this year. We’ve been irrelevant for so long that we’ve reached the point where just making the playoffs one time has become the Buffalo Bills ultimate goal. I think we’re so desperate to be relevant again that we’ve developed an acute case of short-sighted tunnel vision which is making us incapable of seeing the big picture or looking any further down the road than our own hood ornament. Why is this a problem? Because our narrow-minded need for the short-term quick fix of a single playoff appearance may well cost us the opportunity to win a loftier prize in the near future.

For 2 decades the Bills have been desperately wishing for a “franchise” QB to lead this team. For the first time in ages we actually have a high character, blue chip athlete with a big arm and a world-class work ethic sitting right in our laps. He’s played less than a season’s worth of NFL football under an asshat of a coach and behind an atrocious OLine; yet despite that embarrassing lack of support we’ve all watched this kid steadily improve since the day he was drafted. And now suddenly we want to stick him at the end of the bench and stop his development dead in its tracks to take a flier on some other guy who might or might not be marginally better at the moment, just because we are so desperate to make the playoffs one time?! Frag that noise. I don’t want to make the playoffs one time, I want to make multiple championship runs over the next 5-7 years; and the Bills are well-positioned to do just that if they can smartly develop a “franchise” QB to go with the ton of talent they have accumulated all over the roster. Matt Cassell is not ever going to be that guy, Tyrod Taylor is not ever going to be that guy. But unlike those two, EJ Manuel has the god-given toolbox and the natural skillset to become exactly that guy. Do we really want to kick the potential franchise QB we’ve been waiting 20 years for to the curb for what may or may not be an incremental short-term improvement because we’ve become so pathetically desperate that our big goal has now been reduced to making the playoffs one time?

I say the hell with being the scared, desperate little ninnies who are so afraid of mistakes that we’re not willing to dare greatly. The hell with playing it safe when there’s a chance for glory sitting right there in front of us if we’re bold enough to risk it. The hell with just making the playoffs this year when being resolute and steadfast might lead to the grand prize down the road. Put Manuel out there in Week 1 and let him make the mistakes that he needs to make before he can learn to eliminate them. Give him the realistic chance to continue the progress he’s clearly been making and to possibly reach the level that can get us over the top. If he stops improving, then we can turn to our Brad Johnson or our Doug Flutie and play for just one year. But don’t start with one of those guys at the expense of developing the kid that might be exactly who and what we’ve been desperately seeking for 20 years.

First of all, welcome back! It's fantastic to see you posting. Hate to do so, but I must already respectfully disagree. :)

I do so because I see very.....very little chance of EJ improving to a superbowl level qb. Check it out:

>>>>>For the first time in ages we actually have a high character, blue chip athlete with a big arm and a world-class work ethic sitting right in our laps. He’s played less than a season’s worth of NFL football under an asshat of a coach and behind an atrocious OLine<<<<<

You and I were saying the same as above about Rob Johnson, who had as many or more skills than does EJ. I just don't think this kid can get the job done. IMO he would have a slight chance if he would run the way he did in college but when he runs now he looks (again, imo), clumsy and lumbering.

And as others have said, 5-7 years is a century in the NFL. Injuries, free agency losses, bad drafts and other factors can wipe out a team overnight. Look at the 49ers.

In any event, it's all good. Once again I am completely thrilled to see you back!!!!! :):thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I bet y’all are thrilled to have another thread about QB’s. Well, I haven’t posted since last year so I’m starting one whether you like it or not. :devil:

Why should EJ Manuel be the starter in Week 1? It’s not because he’s the best QB on the roster, because right now he’s no better (or even as consistent) than the other two guys he’s competing with. It’s not because he gives the Bills the best chance to win in Week 1, because right now he probably doesn’t give them any better chance than either of the other guys. The reason he should start the first game of the season is because he gives the Bills the best chance to win a Super Bowl at some point in the next 5 years.

I’ve been thinking about the dynamic we’ve been observing throughout this offseason and the one thing that keeps coming to the forefront, both with the fanbase and with the franchise, is that all anybody wants to talk about is making the playoffs this year. We’ve been irrelevant for so long that we’ve reached the point where just making the playoffs one time has become the Buffalo Bills ultimate goal. I think we’re so desperate to be relevant again that we’ve developed an acute case of short-sighted tunnel vision which is making us incapable of seeing the big picture or looking any further down the road than our own hood ornament. Why is this a problem? Because our narrow-minded need for the short-term quick fix of a single playoff appearance may well cost us the opportunity to win a loftier prize in the near future.

For 2 decades the Bills have been desperately wishing for a “franchise” QB to lead this team. For the first time in ages we actually have a high character, blue chip athlete with a big arm and a world-class work ethic sitting right in our laps. He’s played less than a season’s worth of NFL football under an asshat of a coach and behind an atrocious OLine; yet despite that embarrassing lack of support we’ve all watched this kid steadily improve since the day he was drafted. And now suddenly we want to stick him at the end of the bench and stop his development dead in its tracks to take a flier on some other guy who might or might not be marginally better at the moment, just because we are so desperate to make the playoffs one time?! Frag that noise. I don’t want to make the playoffs one time, I want to make multiple championship runs over the next 5-7 years; and the Bills are well-positioned to do just that if they can smartly develop a “franchise” QB to go with the ton of talent they have accumulated all over the roster. Matt Cassell is not ever going to be that guy, Tyrod Taylor is not ever going to be that guy. But unlike those two, EJ Manuel has the god-given toolbox and the natural skillset to become exactly that guy. Do we really want to kick the potential franchise QB we’ve been waiting 20 years for to the curb for what may or may not be an incremental short-term improvement because we’ve become so pathetically desperate that our big goal has now been reduced to making the playoffs one time?

I say the hell with being the scared, desperate little ninnies who are so afraid of mistakes that we’re not willing to dare greatly. The hell with playing it safe when there’s a chance for glory sitting right there in front of us if we’re bold enough to risk it. The hell with just making the playoffs this year when being resolute and steadfast might lead to the grand prize down the road. Put Manuel out there in Week 1 and let him make the mistakes that he needs to make before he can learn to eliminate them. Give him the realistic chance to continue the progress he’s clearly been making and to possibly reach the level that can get us over the top. If he stops improving, then we can turn to our Brad Johnson or our Doug Flutie and play for just one year. But don’t start with one of those guys at the expense of developing the kid that might be exactly who and what we’ve been desperately seeking for 20 years.

Way to come back :doh: win superbowl :lol::lol: :lol: he's the same as he's been since college and is never going to improve his accuracy.

No to Cassel!!!! Cassel = Mediocrity!!!!

I don't have a problem with TT but I don't think he makes it through the season. I also think EJ is farther along in going through his progressions.

Either way, Roman has experience bring along a young QB and I think he can do so with either of these two. Personally, I still hold a torch for EJ.

You and I were saying the same as above about Rob Johnson,

Yes we were, and we were clearly wrong. But just because we were wrong about a guy nearly 20 years ago doesn't mean I want to be paralyzed by fear to the point of being afraid to go for it again because we might be wrong. Besides, I sort of get the sense that EJ has much more grown-ass man in him than Rob Johnson ever did

As far as your post....I didn't care for your font.

Yeah, I can see where those New Romans could make a fella...........nervous

I should have gone with Sarama's Verdana

In another thread, someone suggested that if the Broncos were going to move on with Brock next year that we could take Peyton for a run at the Superbowl. My response was akin to your longer OP. I don't want that. I don't want a one year "chance" at a Superbowl, followed by more rebuilding years. I want a dynasty team that we can expect to be competing for the Superbowl for years. I'm fine with the Cassel addition as a safety net. I'm fine with adding Tyrod Taylor as someone with a different dimension than what we had. What I'm not fine with is thinking that this team can simply trade for or otherwise pick up a franchise signal caller. Early draft picks need to play or simply be cut and be replaced with other early draft picks. Dan Snyder tried for years to essentially "buy" the playoffs for the Redskins and it just didn't work out. A couple of WC losses and division losses. It's folly to think a team can be built that way.

Yes he does do that. Did it at FSU too.

Throwing the ball before a receiver is open, in anticipation of him coming open, or being able to place it even when he is not really open but can still catch the ball is what makes the good ones good.

EJ doesn't have that ability.

Not saying the other 3 on the staff do either, BTW.

EJ has demonstrated that ability on a number of occasions, beginning with his first game in the league vs the Pats**.

Of course he hasn't been as consistent as we need to see, but to make the blanket statement that he doesn't have that ability is just not accurate.

I urge people to re-watch every game he has played before making such broad statements.

GO BILLS!!!

EJ has demonstrated that ability on a number of occasions, beginning with his first game in the league vs the Pats**.

Of course he hasn't been as consistent as we need to see, but to make the blanket statement that he doesn't have that ability is just not accurate.

I urge people to re-watch every game he has played before making such broad statements.

GO BILLS!!!

Forget that, just keep repeating the same old songs with unchanging verses and ignore any new developments. It's easier that way. :thumbsup: