Crime Rates: NFL Players vs. General Population

NFL Players Have Lower Total Crime Rate Than General Population

A 24-hour news cycle, viral videos and tweets about football players' run-ins with the law can make it seem like criminal activity is an epidemic in the National Football League.

But a new UT Dallas study refutes that impression. The research found that the overall arrest rate for the general population was nearly twice as high as the rate for NFL players from 2000 to 2013.

The thing that is misleading is the income of the players. If you compared the NFL players to people making $500k +, I'd assume that the players would have a higher crime rate than that population.

Why would any study use your arbitrary $500K figure? How many players make $500K with most careers being very short and how many people in the general population make $500K?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The thing that is misleading is the income of the players. If you compared the NFL players to people making $500k +, I'd assume that the players would have a higher crime rate than that population.

Exactly what I was going to say. Have to factor in the economic situation

very good point

Why would any study use your arbitrary $500K figure? How many players make $500K with most careers being very short and how many people in the general population make $500K?

isnt his arbitrary number simply a rough comp to the minimum nfl salary..... it may not be precise, but i think he makes a point thats relevant.

Money doesn't solve your problems or make you a different person...it makes you more of the person you were before.

So if everyone in this country had all of the economic resources they needed- we would still have the same crime rate?

isnt his arbitrary number simply a rough comp to the minimum nfl salary..... it may not be precise, but i think he makes a point thats relevant.

I believe the minimum salary is $400K plus. But so what. Either you engage in criminal behavior or you don't.

I think that the access to money, various agents and advisors could be the reason that the arrest rate is lower for the NFL players. A more valid study would be to compare the arrest rate of players to the overall population as the players mature. My guess is that the arrest rate declines over the playing career as the players get wiser and lose bad habits.

In any event, the headline is misleading & entire study may be missing a few key variables that may be important for the conclusion. The headline trumpets crime statistics, while the study focused on arrests. We don't know how many NFL players were never arrested for a crime that a regular Joe would be locked up for.

So if everyone in this country had all of the economic resources they needed- we would still have the same crime rate?

What about white collar crime among the higher socioeconomic class? There sure as hell is plenty of that.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Nah... The study was conducted vs the general population. Based on the GENERAL POPULATION, players' crime rate is lower. However, a second study of high income vs general population vs nfl player crime rates would be a good follow up study.

Very interesting. So is this-

It also holds true in states with large populations of illegal residents. A 2008report by the Public Policy Institute of California found that immigrants are underrepresented in the prison system. “The incarceration rate for foreign-born adults is 297 per 100,000 in the population, compared [with] 813 per 100,000 for U.S.-born adults,” the study concludes. “The foreign-born, who make up roughly 35% of California’s adult population, constitute 17% of the state prison population.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-mythical-connection-between-immigrants-and-crime-1436916798

The media loves to divide, exagerate, and try and scare people(shark attacks, terrorism, etc)

I believe the minimum salary is $400K plus. But so what. Either you engage in criminal behavior or you don't.

That's not true at all. Crablegs aside, NFL players don't have to worry where their next meal is coming from. Desperation can lead some to crime.

Currently, a rookie has a minimum of $435,000. If they have been in the league for 1 year then it is $510,000. It's pretty naive to think that money has no impact on incarceration or even arrests.

Currently, a rookie has a minimum of $435,000. If they have been in the league for 1 year then it is $510,000. It's pretty naive to think that money has no impact on incarceration or even arrests.

Sure it does along with many other factors that play a role.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Sure it does along with many other factors play a role.

If they could be absolutely selective in this study, they'd compare NFL players to all people from the same socio-economic situations who also won the lottery.

I bet the percentages would be exactly the same.....

My point is that the NFL player's situation is very unique. Our presumption is that the money and access to this elite organization will solve all of their problems, but the world isn't that perfect.

On the contrary, sometimes....mo money, mo problems.

If the general population simply used more fall guys they would have way less of a crime rate. Just goes to show how dumb the average American is.

"Yo, G, I can't afford to lose my job at the Circle K so if we get caught you're going to do the time, right?"

There's been plenty of studies that have proven that there's a statistically significant relationship between socioeconomic status (occupation, income, education) and crime rates. Simply looking at the population alone simply ignores the fact that not everyone has a higher education and not everyone is making at least the NFL minimum of $435,000 per year. Kelly is funny though on the fall guys comment. Nice CC reference!

That's kind of misleading. First off what's the NFL players incarceration rate compared to high income earners of the general population. I bet the NFL players would be higher or at least similar (Not because they are inherently bad guys but they are going to be a lot younger than your typical well into 6 figure earner and a higher profile target, and a lot of the players aren't as educated seeing as in college they weren't going for the education most of the time). People on the lower end of the economic spectrum are going to have high incarceration rates than people higher on it. So it's generally easy to see how people with more money and access will have lower raters of incarceration than others.

I think that the access to money, various agents and advisors could be the reason that the arrest rate is lower for the NFL players. A more valid study would be to compare the arrest rate of players to the overall population as the players mature. My guess is that the arrest rate declines over the playing career as the players get wiser and lose bad habits.

In any event, the headline is misleading & entire study may be missing a few key variables that may be important for the conclusion. The headline trumpets crime statistics, while the study focused on arrests. We don't know how many NFL players were never arrested for a crime that a regular Joe would be locked up for.

I think you make a good point, GG. I think NFL players, celebrities, well-known politicians, etc, tend to get a pass on some things "regular" people might get pinched for. OTOH when they actually do get caught/arrested, I think they can often get harsher treatment by the press and public (and sometimes even by a prosecutor trying to make a name for his/herself) than a regular person with the same violation.

He already has. I got a notice in the mail today for "Public nudity" and I cant watch the first two weeks of the season since Ill be "in jail".

I've been told I'm not welcome back at the stadium. I swear, you sh*t on one person off the upper deck and everybody gets all up in arms.

Edited by jeremy2020

I picked that number as some of the lowest salaries are at 500k/year. And yes, we are talking about less than 1% of our population here that makes that kind of coin.

Nah... The study was conducted vs the general population. Based on the GENERAL POPULATION, players' crime rate is lower. However, a second study of high income vs general population vs nfl player crime rates would be a good follow up study.

My degrees are in mathematics, with statistics being a specialty of mine. Your proposal of high income vs. gen population vs. NFL players is a great idea, but the reasonable assumption is that the higher income would have the lowest rate, the NFL players second, the gen population third. The rationale behind it is the high income earners have $ to make things go away and a solid educational base to avoid trouble, the NFL players have the $, but checkered education, and the general population has less of both. This assumption includes the correlation of education and wealth being negative factors to crime.