B/R Report: Rex wants to start Tyrod, other coaches split

johnwalter

TT had a very good drive that ended with a doink off of the goal posts.

Then what exactly happened? He had a bunch of mediocre drives and he scrambled a bunch.

Do you think TT or Cassel would have fared any better the way the line was allowing blitzers through like water over Niagara?

and yet my friend you will condescending again soon enough. You just can't help yourself. Remind me how many times has it been now where you said you were going to stop arguing about the QB's???

I'm sorry did I miss the LINK where Roman said he wants Meh as his starter?

Did you not read my last post where I responded directly to you? I have addressed this already. I have now had pleasant dialogue with six people who have PM'd me to get my source. You have to understand also, that there is not a link for everything. That's not always how journalism works. If Greg Roman himself told you he wanted Cassel as his starter, where would your "link" be? If there was a link, then everyone would know about it, which clearly, they don't. I have already made amends with the guy who I was condescending to, I don't want to argue anymore. I'm not arguing about the QB's. I'm just sharing that I happen to have some information on this particular topic. And finally, I think it's pretty much a consensus at this point that it's time to move on from the "Meh" thing.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with the bolded. The difference between preparing for TT and Cassel is very big. If they've prepared for an immobile QB that just stands in the pocket, they'll find it harder to deal with what TT brings, in addition to all the other weapons.

"Over" was the part in bold that I believe. Do you?

There are other mobile QBs in the league. Taylor won't be the first. A defense puts in the package for that scheme and off they go. Russel Wilson beats these schemes because he is excellent with his mobility. Teams prepare for it, and he just drives them nuts. Maybe we'll see if Taylor has some of those attributes. As for Cassel, I can't imagine a situation where his actually skill sets makes a defense nervous.

Totally ridiculous statement.

Just because the situation ended last year as a big problem doesn't mean it can't be fixed. Just because someone wasn't great before doesn't mean they can't get better and continually improve. Taylor was on a very good team for 4 years. Ozzie Newsome doesn't make many mistakes in judging talent. Taylor learned for four years, that used to be what many QB's needed to do before they got a chance to play. Cassel has had success when surrounded by talent, he is surrounded by a lot of talent now. EJ looks to be improving. All these QB's have a great OC to work with. I'm optimistic, no reason not to be. If the QB's looked awful this preseason I would be worried, but they have looked good, and this is with most of the talent not playing. Things change, sometimes for the better. It's not that unusual.

You disagree so it's ridiculous. Guess we'll see, won't we? The times a'comin'.

Did you not read my last post where I responded directly to you? I have addressed this already. I have now had pleasant dialogue with six people who have PM'd me to get my source. You have to understand also, that there is not a link for everything. That's not always how journalism works. If Greg Roman himself told you he wanted Cassel as his starter, where would your "link" be? If there was a link, then everyone would know about it, which clearly, they don't. I have already made amends with the guy who I was condescending to, I don't want to argue anymore. I'm not arguing about the QB's. I'm just sharing that I happen to have some information on this particular topic. And finally, I think it's pretty much a consensus at this point that it's time to move on from the "Meh" thing.

And I have addressed this already, have I not?

I do not need a PM. If it is something real post it here for all to read.

So Roman told you this at SJF? And with today's media accessibility you didn't record it?

Apologies for referring to some not so spectacular 10+ year pro as Meh.

Again I will ask WHY would a guy with HC aspirations hedge his bet on a old guy with very little upside.

IF he can repeat more Kap magic with TT or EJ it validates his qualifications.

mobile vs pocket passer .... I will cite 1 prime example of the difficulties with this

The Washington Redskins and RGIII.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Must have missed mine.

Way overdue!

It's real as the day is long my friend. And again, I have several sources. The minute I go blabbing about who my sources are on some website like this, suddenly I don't have sources anymore. Remember who broke Mario Williams visiting Buffalo first on here before anyone in the national media? That right there should be enough for you not to question me on this. It's rare that I share stuff but when I do, you can take it to the bank. I tried telling you guys stuff about why Marrone left but no one really cared that much. I don't know why Roman wants Cassel as his QB, I just know that he does. It's really not that much of a scoop or that important of an issue. It doesn't even guarantee that he starts.

Must have missed mine.

I thought I emailed you last night? I'll email you right now. Check your inbox. Must've forgot to hit send last night.

I don't like the sound of Cassel getting the nod either, but if that's what our coaches decide is best, I'm behind it and will root the Bills just the same. They are the ones with the p!an. EJ is progressing, most people agree, and another year on the bench can't do anything but good for him. I think we're seeing him get the fire in his belly, and wouldn't be surprised if he gets some playing time this year. But if not, as another poster said, maybe next year he does get a legit shot. This QB competition is doing all three of them nothing but good. Maybe we will get a legit franchise guy out of this process after all, one can only hope.

I don't like the sound of Cassel getting the nod either, but if that's what our coaches decide is best, I'm behind it and will root the Bills just the same. They are the ones with the p!an. EJ is progressing, most people agree, and another year on the bench can't do anything but good for him. I think we're seeing him get the fire in his belly, and wouldn't be surprised if he gets some playing time this year. But if not, as another poster said, maybe next year he does get a legit shot. This QB competition is doing all three of them nothing but good. Maybe we will get a legit franchise guy out of this process after all, one can only hope.

If you go to the Bills home page or twitter page you wouldn't even know that Matt Cassel exists. There seems to be a major disconnect and in this age of 24/7 promotion I find it hard to believe that the PR department doesn't know which way the wind is blowing.

If you go to the Bills home page or twitter page you wouldn't even know that Matt Cassel exists. There seems to be a major disconnect and in this age of 24/7 promotion I find it hard to believe that the PR department doesn't know which way the wind is blowing.

good point

And I have addressed this already, have I not?

I do not need a PM. If it is something real post it here for all to read.

So Roman told you this at SJF? And with today's media accessibility you didn't record it?

Apologies for referring to some not so spectacular 10+ year pro as Meh.

Again I will ask WHY would a guy with HC aspirations hedge his bet on a old guy with very little upside.

IF he can repeat more Kap magic with TT or EJ it validates his qualifications.

mobile vs pocket passer .... I will cite 1 prime example of the difficulties with this

The Washington Redskins and RGIII.

I just went back and re-read your post. So because RG3 has struggled since attempting to become more of a pocket passer, then that is an indictment against all pocket passers everywhere in all offenses? Have there not been plenty of failed mobile quarterbacks throughout the years? And by the way, while EJ is more elusive than Cassel in the pocket, no doubt, make no mistake about it, EJ Manuel is a pocket passer. I wish he were more like a Tyrod Taylor but that's not what he is. If on one end of the spectrum is Drew Bledsoe and on the other end is Michael Vick, Manuel is way closer to Cassel in terms of being a traditional pocket passer than he is to Tyrod Taylor.

It's real as the day is long my friend. And again, I have several sources. The minute I go blabbing about who my sources are on some website like this, suddenly I don't have sources anymore. Remember who broke Mario Williams visiting Buffalo first on here before anyone in the national media? That right there should be enough for you not to question me on this. It's rare that I share stuff but when I do, you can take it to the bank. I tried telling you guys stuff about why Marrone left but no one really cared that much. I don't know why Roman wants Cassel as his QB, I just know that he does. It's really not that much of a scoop or that important of an issue. It doesn't even guarantee that he starts.

I thought I emailed you last night? I'll email you right now. Check your inbox. Must've forgot to hit send last night.

wait, so, you will tell people on this forum "privately" but you will not do so publicly?

Telling 3 or 4 or 5 people is OK, just not 50 or more.

Did the people you told in a PM sign a nondisclosure agreement? What's stopping them from broadcasting your source? Fan board friendship?

Did you ever think that maybe your source wants these "truths" to be broadcast by fans.

I just went back and re-read your post. So because RG3 has struggled since attempting to become more of a pocket passer, then that is an indictment against all pocket passers everywhere in all offenses? Have there not been plenty of failed mobile quarterbacks throughout the years? And by the way, while EJ is more elusive than Cassel in the pocket, no doubt, make no mistake about it, EJ Manuel is a pocket passer. I wish he were more like a Tyrod Taylor but that's not what he is. If on one end of the spectrum is Drew Bledsoe and on the other end is Michael Vick, Manuel is way closer to Cassel in terms of being a traditional pocket passer than he is to Tyrod Taylor.

Did I say all? I believe I said "difficulties"

Sometimes you can't convert a scrambler into a pocket passer and vice versa. Simple statement. No need to make a mountain out of an anthill.

wait, so, you will tell people on this forum "privately" but you will not do so publicly?

Telling 3 or 4 or 5 people is OK, just not 50 or more.

Did the people you told in a PM sign a nondisclosure agreement? What's stopping them from broadcasting your source? Fan board friendship?

Did you ever think that maybe your source wants these "truths" to be broadcast by fans.

Did I say all? I believe I said "difficulties"

Sometimes you can't convert a scrambler into a pocket passer and vice versa. Simple statement. No need to make a mountain out of an anthill.

Yes, that is the case. When I told people about Mario Williams, everyone called me out. Until when I was right, at which point it established, you might think, a certain amount of credibility. If John Wawrow posts something on here (and believe me, I am no John Wawrow, I am just a guy who happens to have a few connections) you don't insist he tell you how he knows, right? That's all. I've had inside info on a handful of things that I've shared on here and this happens to be one of them. You can take it or leave it. Again, I don't think it's that big of a scoop. It doesn't even mean he's gonna start.

Yes, that is the case. When I told people about Mario Williams, everyone called me out. Until when I was right, at which point it established, you might think, a certain amount of credibility. If John Wawrow posts something on here (and believe me, I am no John Wawrow, I am just a guy who happens to have a few connections) you don't insist he tell you how he knows, right? That's all. I've had inside info on a handful of things that I've shared on here and this happens to be one of them. You can take it or leave it. Again, I don't think it's that big of a scoop. It doesn't even mean he's gonna start.

I don't follow that logic. Either something was told in confidence, in which case you shouldn't be divulging the source(and possibly the information) to anybody.....or it wasn't told in confidence, in which case you can tell whomever you want.

Telling a hanful of strangers from an internet forum the information is not maintaining any form of confidentiality.

Well instead of starting an argument out of nothing, thanks for sharing what you heard. Appreciate the people that get the occasional scoop around here, for some reason they always get chased away.

Qb situation sounds like its definitely going to last until prep for the Colts. I'd love to hear Roman's side of the story with the 49ers, never been a big believer in Kaep myself.

Really thought the heavy read option offenses were a fad for a few years, I think the Bills could have short term success like the 9ers but they need a new top end QB prospect in the next 2yrs. Taylor shouldn't be looked at as a long term solution and I worry that is what could potentially happen if this year is a success. Or Cassel could start anyways and then we all know we need a QB yet again.

Interesting month ahead of us Bills fans.

Well instead of starting an argument out of nothing, thanks for sharing what you heard. Appreciate the people that get the occasional scoop around here, for some reason they always get chased away.

Qb situation sounds like its definitely going to last until prep for the Colts. I'd love to hear Roman's side of the story with the 49ers, never been a big believer in Kaep myself.

Really thought the heavy read option offenses were a fad for a few years, I think the Bills could have short term success like the 9ers but they need a new top end QB prospect in the next 2yrs. Taylor shouldn't be looked at as a long term solution and I worry that is what could potentially happen if this year is a success. Or Cassel could start anyways and then we all know we need a QB yet again.

Interesting month ahead of us Bills fans.

The one weird thing on the 49ers offense that we probably overlook too much here is that their skill players were garbage. The rest of that team was really good except for the guys that Kaep had to get the ball to. I often wonder did their offense stall because the QB regressed, coaching worsened or weapons were too easy to defend? The reality is it's probably a combination of all of it.

I don't follow that logic. Either something was told in confidence, in which case you shouldn't be divulging the source(and possibly the information) to anybody.....or it wasn't told in confidence, in which case you can tell whomever you want.

Telling a hanful of strangers from an internet forum the information is not maintaining any form of confidentiality.

Glad I am not the only one seeing the "logic" that way.

Again, I agree that Roman is pushing for Cassel based on his experience and the possibility that it could lead to a top-half offense and land him a HC'ing gig next year. Because looking at Cassel's career, his numbers are no better than EJ's, and he's played poorly the past 4 years, most of which were injury-marred. I've said that I want Rex to stay out of the offense, but in this case, I want him to make the decision because he's looking long-term.

Again, I agree that Roman is pushing for Cassel based on his experience and the possibility that it could lead to a top-half offense and land him a HC'ing gig next year. Because looking at Cassel's career, his numbers are no better than EJ's, and he's played poorly the past 4 years, most of which were injury-marred. I've said that I want Rex to stay out of the offense, but in this case, I want him to make the decision because he's looking long-term.

Why would it lead to anything when he would make the same mistakes Taylor would make except he can't dig himself out of trouble with his legs?