EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

30 pages of back and forth about this QB or that. You guys are making a distinction without a difference. All 3 are sub-par in their own special way and none of them will demonstrably affect the W/L record this year. But by all means keep going this has been thoroughly enjoyable. If I had a big bag of popcorn I'd be complete.

From Webster's Dictionary:

distinction

noun dis·tinc·tion \di-ˈstiŋ(k)-shən

: a difference that you can see, hear, smell, feel, etc. : a noticeable difference between things or people

You have made a statement without saying anything.

I always find it weirdly amusing when someone mistakes their own ignorance for insight. If you truly think that there is no difference between the three QBs, their abilities, or their potential, then you either haven't paid much attention, or there is much you don't understand about football. Not having an opinion on who gives us the best chance to win (or whatever other criteria one might have for preferring one QB over another) does not put you up on those that do-- quite the opposite. One game in a 16 game season can easily be the difference between playoffs, and going home.

That there are three QBs who are still vying for the starting position, each with their nuanced differences, makes for a far more complicated TC and preseason than what is the norm in the league. Each QB makes our offense distinctly different.

If that isn't adequate grist for 30 pages of football discussion, I don't know what is. And, I doubt you do either.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay Kirby, then explain the reps reported from practice yesterday. Reportedly Taylor got NO reps in 2 min drill. Does that mean he's falling behind?

I would think that it means as of today Cassel is still in the lead. He took the most reps with the ones and all of the 2 minute drill. 3 weeks from the start of the season and he is getting the most work with the 1's. That isn't a coincidence.

What we don't know is how far the gap is. Can it still change? The other 2 probably closed the gap some last week IMO but maybe not. They didn't even bother to play Cassel. He may be firmly in the lead still. We don't know for sure how close it is but it is definitely safe to view their actions and start to add "2+2."

Somebody help me. I just don't understand the guys on WGRs morning show argument. They're saying EJ Manuel doesn't deserve a chance at winning the starting QB job for the Bills. They're saying EJ Manuel had his chance to take the starting QB job in OTAs, practice, training camp and in the scrimmage and didn't do it. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't they still practicing? Aren't they still in training camp? Didn't EJ play the best in the scrimmage? Reports say that EJ wasn't showing well in OTAs and the early part of training camp, but reports also said that the others didn't fair so well either. Is it possible that after many days/weeks of practice the proverbial "light" may have come on for EJ. Is it something that the coaches saw in watching tape of practice that made them say hmmm. Maybe his poor showing in practices were the results of others not performing their duties correctly. I mean he has performed well when the lights were on in the preseason games with 3rd stringers. Even Sal says EJ has been the "best QB" in practice as of late. As a coach, after watching tape of his performances, wouldn't you want to see if he can continue to perform well with better talent around him? There must be something that's making them not make their announcement on the starter. I mean immediately after the Carolina game they announced Tyrod Taylor as the starter for the Cleveland game. What would it hurt to let him play a qtr with the starting unit against Pittsburgh? I'm not saying that EJ should be the game 1 starter at Indy, but it doesn't hurt to see how he shows with the rest of the starting unit.

Usually starters play 3 qtrs. Let them all play 1qtr.

At some point, the question has to be: When is enough, enough? How long does this three-way competition go on for? Personally, I would sure hope that they at least have it pared down to two by the third preseason game. If the coaches have it in their minds that one guy is behind the other two (be it EJ, TT, or Cassel) the they should start treating that guy like he's third string.

This isn't about being fair, or who "deserves" what. It's about moving this football team forward. First team reps will have been wasted on the guy that ends up third string. The coaches need to make the decision already!

At some point, the question has to be: When is enough, enough? How long does this three-way competition go on for? Personally, I would sure hope that they at least have it pared down to two by the third preseason game. If the coaches have it in their minds that one guy is behind the other two (be it EJ, TT, or Cassel) the they should start treating that guy like he's third string.

This isn't about being fair, or who "deserves" what. It's about moving this football team forward. First team reps will have been wasted on the guy that ends up third string. The coaches need to make the decision already!

They have plenty of time to get their starting QB prepared and they'll begin to do so after camp closes on tomorrow.

IMO that decision was made awhile ago.

Unless something drastic happens this week, it's (1) Cassel (2) Taylor (will wildcat) and (3) EJ (nobody offered anything significant...yet). And there is a "friendly" disagreement in the clubhouse about who should start, Cassel or TT... As a defense first guy, Rex knows how much of a pain it is to plan a defense around a mobile QB (aka Team Taylor), but the other side of the house wants something safer, (aka Team Cassel)...to the point of this thread, there doesn't appear to be a Team EJ any longer...

IMO that decision was made awhile ago.

I think it was but I think they have kind of "unmade" it. I honestly believe that as of last week there was no chance of EJ being the starter. The fact they have gone back to giving him some 1st team reps a week after saying it would be difficult for him to get them again suggests they saw something that gave them pause for thought.

EJ is still a massive outsider to win this job don't get me wrong but I think he went from no shot to longshot on Thursday. That isn't necessarily a good thing because at this stage the decision should be getting clearer not more murky... however, if there is a good way for it to be more confused then this is the good way because all 3 guys have shown something in their opportunities. That is much better than having one guy win by default.

Isn't football funny?

Seattle punches the ball into the endzone in the Super Bowl and Brady is just 3-3 in the big one and tarnished by deflategate and spygate.

Instead, a DB catches the ball (which Brady has ZERO control over) and Brady becomes the best QB ever.

Last week, EJ gets hit from behind and fumbles in the redzone. If a Browns player recovers the story is EJ's continual lack of awareness and the turnover and he's probably done here.

Instead, a Bill recovers. EJ goes on to throw an incomplete pass on 4th down but there are offsetting penalties and he gets another shot.

If the ref doesn't throw a flag the only penalty is against the Bills and the game ends.

Instead, EJ then throws a TD pass against a guy who will be selling cars next month and now he "deserves" a better chance to start.

It's just funny to me how tiny events determine so much in sports.

Edited by TheFunPolice

EJ is still erratic at times, but he's definitely improved, and he's putting points on the board while under constant pressure behind a 3rd string line that may not even be around for week 1. Start him with the 1s against the Steelers and let the truth be told about where things really stand with him now.

EJ is still erratic at times, but he's definitely improved, and he's putting points on the board while under constant pressure behind a 3rd string line that may not even be around for week 1. Start him with the 1s against the Steelers and let the truth be told about where things really stand with him now.

I really think the whole Bills team probably wants to see this^^^^

Debating about who you think is the best QB is one thing, but to not see what EJ Manuel looks like against first string when he has been the only one scoring touchdowns would be a dereliction of duty for Rex IMO. The only harm is not giving some reps to a journeyman backup QB (who cares) or a QB who has never started a game before in his life in which a handful of first team snaps in a preseason game are not going to matter much anyways. Taylor simply did not distance himself greatly enough to solidify the job beyond any debate. If that were the case then it would be pointless to have EJ play with the ones.

Edited by 1billsfan

what would we talk about if we had a franchise QB.

Who's going to replace him when he signs as a FA after his contract is up?

I want to see EJ in with the ones as well.

Make sure.

But if he cannot clearly beat out Matt Cassel and Tyrod Taylor in his 3rd season he's officially a bust in my book.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not but I'm guessing you're not, which is funny.

Gonna be interesting to see which QB gets the start against Pittsburgh, as whomever that is will more then likely be the starter come Sept 20th. So far Rex not telling anyone who will start, and has said that all three will get a chance with the first string offense.

I want to see EJ in with the ones as well.

Make sure.

But if he cannot clearly beat out Matt Cassel and Tyrod Taylor in his 3rd season he's officially a bust in my book.

That's ridiculous. Why? Because both Cassel and Taylor have played well by all accounts. Just because if he didn't win the competition it wouldn't mean that he wouldn't surpass them at some point during the year. He's been getting better and he looks very confident. I would agree with you though only as far as if Manuel didn't surpass Cassel at some point during the year. He should be gone then.

I actually think that Cassel is the worst QB on the team though. The reason I think that is because I really don't think he will play well in real games. He's seemed like a shot player the last few years. Yes, he can play well from time to time, but it's very off and on. I fear that a team with pressure will make this version of Matt Cassel wilt. I don't think that would happen with the young, hungry and fearless guys Taylor and Manuel.

Edited by 1billsfan

Is it really that crazy to consider a 1st round draft pick QB who cannot clearly demonstrate that he is better than career journeyman and a career backup by YEAR 3 a failure?

1st round QBs are supposed to be solid starters by year 3. Those who are not pretty much never amount to anything in the league.