Gilmore is not Revis

Yes, and drafting Whitner was a smart move too because he is "good," right? Using your top resources on running backs and defensive backs is a sure fire ticket to losing, UNLESS your key positions are in place.

There IS good news....the season is about to start and this roster is chock full of talented players. For the first time in years I have a feeling that we will make the playoffs. The other good news is that I get the feeling that the residue of the damage that Levy/Jauron did to this team is finally all but faded. :)

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

King of the strawman, aren't you? :rolleyes:

No, drafting Whitner was not a smart move by the Levy regime when Ngata was there and we had big needs at DL. But in 2013, with Mario, Kyle, and Dareus on the roster there was no need there.

Again, context will set you free.

I agree with the rest though. Thanks to the work Nix and Whaley have done, this roster is stacked and we can afford to draft just about anything anywhere. GO BILLS!! :thumbsup:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miami did not move up, they owned the #8 pick. We would have had to put a package together to jump from 10 to 7 to get Tanny, in a draft that already saw people overpaying to move up (Washington to get RJ3, Dallas to get Claiborne).

With the picks it would have taken to move up, you are basically (at the very least) trading Gilmore and Glenn for Tannehill.

It has taken Miami a few years to develop Tannehill, and that's with bringing in his college coach, and staying stable at HC. You think he would have had the same chance to develop in Buffalo? Getting caught in the transition from Gailey to Marrone? Or would he be just another Manuel/Edwards/Losman who gets broken by (what was) an organization in chaos?

Face it, Gilmore was a good pick. Both for the team, and at the time.

I find this interesting.

Given what we know right now, the composition of the Bills and how they're presently built. Tanny and what we've seen from him thus far and how you figure he projects moving forward, would anyone trade Glenn and Gilmore for Tanny?

I'm expecting the pendulum to swing hard and wide......heads up!

Bill: Do you hate cornerbacks as people?

Bill feels about CBs the way the African American community feels about the Ferguson police force.

I kid. Bill doesn't have CBs, he just has absolutely no respect for them.

Gilmore is too physical when the ball is in the air. Not great at finding the ball and I don't think other teams fear him. Carolina went right after him with Benjamin and were for the most part successful.

I expect by the end of the year he's going to be much better, but as of now he doesn't look elite to me.

EJ Manuel is not Tom Brady.

When Gilmore's our biggest problem I believe we'll be hoisting a Lombardi trophy

Well - it's a bit more of a concern than that - Rex's defense is very dependent on excellent corner play. I remain concerned that Rex is (and has been) overrating Gilmore. He's a good CB. He's still a ways away from elite.

Edited by BobChalmers

I agree with the rest though. Thanks to the work Nix and Whaley have done, this roster is stacked and we can afford to draft just about anything anywhere. GO BILLS!! :thumbsup:

Again, I respectfully disagree. Mario (my favorite Bill) and Kyle are not getting any younger. We still need a quarterback and I would like some more talent on the OL.

Of course, we can talk about this after the season. :)

If Gilmore doesn't come out crapping his pants in September it will be the first time in his career he's played well early in a season.

He just can't seem to get his sh*t together early on and it usually comes down to him just not finishing plays.

it's like this.......if you can't get your head around to make a play on the football you aren't doing your job as a CB.

I can excuse Terrence Trent Darby last night....he was set aflame by the atrocious Derek Anderson but he is a rookie and nobody is pretending he didn't arrive ball-blind.......but exceptional players finish plays.

I have no doubt Gilmore will be playing good football in November/December but this team opens up against Andrew Luck, and possibly week 2 against Tom Brady.

Gilmore being close enough to stare deeply into the receivers eyes isn't going to matter to those guys.

They will back-shoulder and jump ball his sh*t like he isn't even there if he doesn't finish.

I thought for sure that a contract year would bring the fight out of him but he's yet to prove he isn't just a talented clock-puncher out there.

I find this interesting.

Given what we know right now, the composition of the Bills and how they're presently built. Tanny and what we've seen from him thus far and how you figure he projects moving forward, would anyone trade Glenn and Gilmore for Tanny?

I'm expecting the pendulum to swing hard and wide......heads up!

I think you make that trade. But as the good Dr. pointed out, it's fair to presume that we never see the Tanny of today if he played for the Bills. Knowing this, I feel damn good about Gilmore and Glenn coming out of that draft.

Well - it's a bit more of a concern than that - Rex's defense is very dependent on excellent corner play. I remain concerned that Rex is (and has been) overrating Gilmore. He's a good CB. He's still a ways away from elite.

Very true.

Also, Rex's defense is also dependent on getting pressure on the QB from multiple looks...which we saw very little of last night. I think I counted maybe 2-3 blitzes from the first team defense.

When the quarterback doesn't know where the rush is coming from, and had less than 2 seconds to make a decision, the DB's aren't "put on an island" for that long.

If Gilmore doesn't come out crapping his pants in September it will be the first time in his career he's played well early in a season.

He just can't seem to get his sh*t together early on and it usually comes down to him just not finishing plays.

it's like this.......if you can't get your head around to make a play on the football you aren't doing your job as a CB.

I can excuse Terrence Trent Darby last night....he was set aflame by the atrocious Derek Anderson but he is a rookie and nobody is pretending he didn't arrive ball-blind.......but exceptional players finish plays.

I have no doubt Gilmore will be playing good football in November/December but this team opens up against Andrew Luck, and possibly week 2 against Tom Brady.

Gilmore being close enough to stare deeply into the receivers eyes isn't going to matter to those guys.

They will back-shoulder and jump ball his sh*t like he isn't even there if he doesn't finish.

I thought for sure that a contract year would bring the fight out of him but he's yet to prove he isn't just a talented clock-puncher out there.

Trade him for a 3rd rounder?

Regardless of of the obvious fact that this was the first preseason game, I'm guessing at the very least the film review will not be a pleasant experience for Gilmore and Darby especially... I'm fairly sure Henderson is going to get on them hard...

The good news is, for the most part, they were in excellent position...But this is a Defense that is going to afford them many opportunities to make plays, and just running with the WR step for step is not enough...They will be expected to locate, and make plays on the ball...Granted they were being muscled a bit (especially Darby) by monster WR's...I'm not panicking by any stretch of the imagination...But no question it's got to get better...They have to play the ball... B-)

Trade him for a 3rd rounder?

No it's all good they picked up his option so apparently that is good enough for him and he can do his usual dance......coast early......catch heat for it.....have his apologists make excuses for him...and then start playing very good football in the second half.

John Fina once said that a sack wasn't his fault if he held his block to the count of 3......but I wouldn't have traded him for a 3rd rounder either.

Sometimes you just aren't going to get the best out of a player.

Not every talented athlete is a great competitor.

No it's all good they picked up his option so apparently that is good enough for him and he can do his usual dance......coast early......catch heat for it.....have his apologists make excuses for him...and then start playing very good football in the second half.

John Fina once said that a sack wasn't his fault if he held his block to the count of 3......but I wouldn't have traded him for a 3rd rounder either.

Sometimes you just aren't going to get the best out of a player.

Not every talented athlete is a great competitor.

I agree he started slowly last season, but you make it seem like it's a conscious decision on his part. Is it his level of compete, or inability to turn his head? Each post of yours details a new flaw of his. I was kidding, but if I didn't know better I'd think getting that 3rd for him would be a steal.

First preseason game dude, first game!