Exhibition Week 1 - Panthers vs. Bills

Pre WK 1 Can't-Miss Play: Buffalo Bills quarterback EJ Manuel drops a dime towide receiver Deonte Thompson for a touchdown (0:44)

@buffalobills

Rex on making the QB decision: "It's not going to be easy." Today Cassel: 7/8 Taylor: 5/8 Manuel: 4/8

QB Matt Cassel: "All in all there's a lot of positive to take away from tonight." #CARvsBUF

Manuel on concern over QB rotation: "I won't focus on the game any differently depending on when I go in."

Tyrod Taylor on being named starter against the Browns: "I'm excited. That's news to me."

Manuel was actually 7/8. His receivers were 4/8.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doubtful you keep a #1 draft pick as #3 QB, regardless of the arguments about what his real draft grade should have been

Why not? Is it a rule?

I didn't get to watch the game, but from what I am hearing I agree. nothing great, but it looks better than last year

It was a little better than that.

@TyDunne

And from @viccarucci, Buffalo's QB's stand up to scrutiny in exhibition debut: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/14/bills-quarterbacks-stand-up-to-scrutiny/

@mikerodak

Matt Cassel, Tyrod Taylor and EJ Manuel all show promise in Bills’ opener: http://es.pn/1MpqzY2

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blitz Blog: A rocky debut in "tight end heaven" for #Bills ... http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/15/a-rocky-debut-for-buffalos-tight-ends/

@MatthewFairburn

Sammy Watkins says EJ Manuel's TD was the best throw he's seen all year. That and other Bills reactions to QB battle: http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/08/what_sammy_watkins_lesean_mccoy_other_bills_are_saying_about_quarterback_battle.html

@AroundTheNFL: Tyrod Taylor most impressive of Bills' quarterbacks in opener, writes @ChrisWesseling

http://t.co/qK0zEJ1aDr

Taylor was definitely the most impressive. But to be fair to the other two, he didn't show much from the pocket.

The jaw-droppingly bad 3rd down pass EJ threw to O'Leary sent me to the exit. There are just always those moments when EJ reminds you that quarterbacking is something that doesn't come at all natural to him.

Taylor was definitely the most impressive. But to be fair to the other two, he didn't show much from the pocket.

The jaw-droppingly bad 3rd down pass EJ threw to O'Leary sent me to the exit. There are just always those moments when EJ reminds you that quarterbacking is something that doesn't come at all natural to him.

Which is why he wasn't impressive IMO. That's what means the most with regard to QB play IMO.

EJ reminds me a bit of Losman in the sense that JP would look shaky, then uncork an 80 yard TD pass to Lee Evans and get everyone all excited, then go right back to being inconsistent again.

The people who were heavily invested in Losman clung to the big passes and the deep game but that is not reliable (as we saw) on a consistent basis.

Matt Cassel: "A lot of positives from tonight" (3:57)

Bills QB Matt Cassel talks to the media following the team's first preseason game against the Panthers. Cassel discusses the production of the starting offense and the ongoing process of the quarterback battle.

EJ Manuel: "Everybody did a solid job" (2:41)

Bills QB EJ Manuel discusses his performance during the team's first preseason game against the Carolina Panthers, including his 51-yard touchdown pass to Deonte Thompson.

Tyrod Taylor: "I just let my instincts take over" (3:03)
Bills QB Tyrod Taylor on how he was able to utilize both his legs and his arm during the team's first preseason game against the Carolina Panthers.

Which is why he wasn't impressive IMO. That's what means the most with regard to QB play IMO.

I agree but unfortunately Cassel throwing underneath at a 6 ypa clip isn't going to get it done. He gets the ball safely to the right area but his lack of precision with ball placement negates his playmakers ability by forcing them to stop and/or adjust to throws. That kind of pocket production will only keep the game close enough for less talented teams to make a play on offense and upset you a few times. We've seen the type of stuff that Taylor can do and we know that eventually film catches up to guys who can't make all the throws or who are blind to certain areas of the field. But we've also see teams with guys like that make the playoffs and in a couple recent cases we've seen Wilson and Kaepernick improve enough as passers along the way to get teams to SB's. It's unlikely that Taylor can become that good but he has upside that Cassel does not.

Preseason Week 1: Panthers vs. Bills highlights (3:26)

The Carolina Panthers are able to rally late in the game to claim a 25-24 victory over the Buffalo Bills in Week 1 of preseason action.

Watch: Positive Signs from QBs in Preseason Opener (2:59)

Chris Brown recaps the Bills preseason opener against the Panthers, which includes a solid outing from the offense, positive play from the quarterbacks, and the defense stifling Carolina's run game.

Watch: Darby Debut, Run Game Success (2:46)

CB Ron Darby battles in debut against Carolina. RB Karlos Williams grinds for 63 all-purpose yards and a TD. Buffalo Run game totals over 200 yards.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Rex says they fed Darby to the wolves, drawing support coverage away from him...so he learns.

It's refreshing to have a HC with a plan.

That would explain a lot. They roasted Darby early and often, and usually that means they rotate a safety toward you. And Darby did improve throughout the night, and from the way Murph and Kelso were calling it, Darby's two biggest mistakes were when the WR could have been out of bounds and the Panthers quick snapped it to avoid a review and Kelvin Benjamin's TD where he apparently flagrantly pushed off and didn't get called by the refs. That'll be good experience for Darby knowing that Offensive PI will be ignored more often than not.

I agree but unfortunately Cassel throwing underneath at a 6 ypa clip isn't going to get it done. He gets the ball safely to the right area but his lack of precision with ball placement negates his playmakers ability by forcing them to stop and/or adjust to throws. That kind of pocket production will only keep the game close enough for less talented teams to make a play on offense and upset you a few times. We've seen the type of stuff that Taylor can do and we know that eventually film catches up to guys who can't make all the throws or who are blind to certain areas of the field. But we've also see teams with guys like that make the playoffs and in a couple recent cases we've seen Wilson and Kaepernick improve enough as passers along the way to get teams to SB's. It's unlikely that Taylor can become that good but he has upside that Cassel does not.

That's where I am too. Cassel might be very capable of making the high percentage throws, but eventually, like we learned with Chan and Fitz defenses start only covering 15 yards back. If you have absolute precision like Tommy Boy, you can make it work, but otherwise you catch on quick.

With mobile QBs, there is also a weakness and admittedly most teams have studied the read option enough that it doesn't take the defense by complete surprise anymore. But the way most teams defend against it is to have a LB or S spy the QB to contain his run, which means there is one less player defending your receivers. To me, Tyrod showed enough promise throwing on the run (escaping a sure sack to throw to Karlos) and in the pocket he had that nice throw to Goodwin. Goodwin made the play after the catch but it was almost a sure first down even before that. He has entirely earned a chance to play with the 1's vs Cleveland.

By the way the Carolina announcers were, as expected, brutal. In the first quarter they referred to "2nd year receiver Sammy Watson" and had similar miscues throughout the evening. I absolutely expected them to be Panther-centric, which they were, but the lack of any reference whatsoever to the Bills' QB competition was at least a bit surprising. They also didn't say two words about IK and the week he has had when he was in the game.

I really wonder what the teams tell these announcers, because during the preseason they all broadcast the game as if the final score actually means something. These guys were crowing about "picking up the win" and it was just funny to listen to.

Watching the game without any Bills ball-washing was a good thing, though, and the announcers did specifically mention the play of Karlos Williams standing out and how the Bills were dominating on the ground.

By the way the Carolina announcers were, as expected, brutal. In the first quarter they referred to "2nd year receiver Sammy Watson" and had similar miscues throughout the evening. I absolutely expected them to be Panther-centric, which they were, but the lack of any reference whatsoever to the Bills' QB competition was at least a bit surprising. They also didn't say two words about IK and the week he has had when he was in the game.

I really wonder what the teams tell these announcers, because during the preseason they all broadcast the game as if the final score actually means something. These guys were crowing about "picking up the win" and it was just funny to listen to.

Watching the game without any Bills ball-washing was a good thing, though, and the announcers did specifically mention the play of Karlos Williams standing out and how the Bills were dominating on the ground.

@BuffRumblings

Apparently the Panthers' TV broadcast was a hot mess: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/8/14/9158359/bills-vs-panthers-final-score-buffalo-fall-late-to-carolina-25-24#321523910

LOL -- yes, I forgot about the yardage graphic. The announcer stopped speaking when he must have realized what was on the screen. And the Sting thing was classic.

They literally did NO preparation on anything Bills-related.

Edited by eball