Bills training camp practice 8/11

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You may not have an idea, but if you were to guess, you'd say that a fan has far less access to the team than a beat reporter. There's also a lot of difference in the level of access across the pool, with longer tenured guys having greater relationships and feeds. Just because the team won't spoon feed the local guys the big story doesn't lead to the opposite being true - that the average Joe has the same level of access.

The reason the national reporters get bigger scoops is because they get the news from the agents, who often represent both the player and the reporter. Schefter is represented by the largest talent agency, so it's not a coincidence they feed him the story first.

Maybe the reporters are trying to network during practice and that causes them to miss the nuances of each play. Either way I haven't seen their level of access result in much information. Remember when Kromer was going to be fired 2 different times.

As for the mistake by the receiver, I was sitting right in from of the play and Lewis did a stop and go and EJ put the ball where a comeback would have been. Also Rex said the receiver ran the wrong route so I don't know what he would gain by lying about it.

I wasn't doubting that on that one play the receiver made a mistake. But I believe I read there was at least 1 other interception.

I can probably clarify some of that. I also only saw him throw 1 pick yesterday. I didn't stay too late so he might have had others (I left when they started doing punt returns).

As for the 8-11, he mentioned that he would have been sacked on 4 consecutive plays. I believe the completions are still completions in his report even though he would have been sacked. Also don't know about WR drops. In that case, he would have been 3 or 4-11.

Wouldn't that have made him 4/7? Sacks wouldn't count as attempts.

You may not have an idea, but if you were to guess, you'd say that a fan has far less access to the team than a beat reporter. There's also a lot of difference in the level of access across the pool, with longer tenured guys having greater relationships and feeds. Just because the team won't spoon feed the local guys the big story doesn't lead to the opposite being true - that the average Joe has the same level of access.

The reason the national reporters get bigger scoops is because they get the news from the agents, who often represent both the player and the reporter. Schefter is represented by the largest talent agency, so it's not a coincidence they feed him the story first.

Was this intentional haha

What did he say?

CBF

Basically he talked about Alex Smith and how everyone thought he was a bust. He like's his QB's bigger and physical so they can do more things in the offense. It sure as hell didn't sound like he was describing Matt Cassel.

Wouldn't that have made him 4/7? Sacks wouldn't count as attempts.

Like I said, I don't know how he kept score for would-be sacks. If he didn't count them, then he would have been 8-11. If he did, it still would have been 4-11 based on snap count, not completions or incompletions.

Edited by The Wiz

Interesting interview with Roman on WGR this morning about the QB's and what he likes in his QB.

Do tell.

Basically he talked about Alex Smith and how everyone thought he was a bust. He like's his QB's bigger and physical so they can do more things in the offense. It sure as hell didn't sound like he was describing Matt Cassel.

cough EJ cough

Last week Astro posted a list of attributes Roman wants in a QB. That sure didn't describe Cassel either.

He was drafted in the first round. That's about what it comes down to for them. That and he's a QB. Think of how critical reports have been in the past about the first rounders. That's pretty much all they put their stock in. "He was a first round pick, he should be good"

Whaley used EJ as an excuse to pretty much further ignore the QB position for three offseasons (hell the redskins took cousins in the same draft the took RGIII, some years ago the cowboys took Steve Walsh in the same draft they took Troy Aikman).

This is Whaley's fault not EJ's but EJ is the target because Whaley is teflon.

My guess is that he hasn't shown enough improvement for them to believe that he will get better over time.

I don't think that the entire Bills beat crew is unified in their opinion because of a personal stake against EJ. I think what they see on the field and the echos they hear in the SJF walls flavor a lot of their opinions.

What echoes and from whom? Listening to the Greg Roman interview, he threw out some interesting soundbites. He spoke on how folks thought Alex Smith was a "bust" until he came on the scene. And how he want his QB to be big, physical so that he can do different things on offense

Whaley used EJ as an excuse to pretty much further ignore the QB position for three offseasons (hell the redskins took cousins in the same draft the took RGIII, some years ago the cowboys took Steve Walsh in the same draft they took Troy Aikman).

Um, how?

He signed Kolb in the same offseason that he drafted EJ. EJ looked okay as a rookie, so they didn't draft anyone in his 2nd offseason. It can be argued that the real mistake was not signing Orton sooner, but apparently they tried to do that...that plan eventually succeeded to a degree--Orton did go 9-7.

This year, they brought in 2 different QBs, one of which has starting experience, the other a unique skill set.

The idea that they ignored the position for 3 offseason is completely inaccurate. You may disagree with the de facto players they brought in, but that statement is flat-out incorrect.

As many on this board have countered arguments like this in the past....what would you have done? Whaley has been in a QB drought.