Super fans - Do you believe in them?

Had a discussion with a couple of buddies and would like your opinions. What do you think of so-called. "Super fans," you know, the guys with the face paint, chef hat guys, Elvis guy, etc?

Do you feel they represent you and the Bills fan base as a whole?

I argued that I admire their spirit, but I find them a bit on the side of buffoonery. Jersey, hat, jacket with Bills logo, great. Anything beyond and I think you're trying too hard to insert yourself into the conversation.

What's your take?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a discussion with a couple of buddies and would like your opinions. What do you think of so-called. "Super fans," you know, the guys with the face paint, chef hat guys, Elvis guy, etc?

Do you feel they represent you and the Bills fan base as a whole?

I argued that I admire their spirit, but I find them a bit on the side of buffoonery. Jersey, hat, jacket with Bills logo, great. Anything beyond and I think you're trying too hard to insert yourself into the conversation.

What's your take?

You summed up my opinion pretty much perfectly. I think it is funny how there are so many people who want everyone else to think they are somehow "bigger" fans than everyone else. I don't get that mentality and why it matters to them. If they want to think that and they need to wear costumes to make themselves feel like they are bigger fans than someone else, well, then so be it. I don't much care. Some of them make me laugh. Some of them are just a bit stale like old toast.

I don't think dressing up makes anyone a super-fan.. It just means you like to dress up and look purdy for the cameras.

I'd say the fans that show up in these forums every single day and hit F5 over and over again just to get the play by play of an non-televised scrimmage are the true superfans

Edited by shibuya

The NFL has created an "event atmosphere" which they've married to their sports product; which is why the league has become such a success. The super fan is nothing more than the NFL's particular brand of pageantry. It's part of the spectacle, and a way for the observer to become a part of the show.

I disagree about the attention whore sentiment. Just a way one chooses to express themselves. We're all fans, just express it to varying degrees. Why does it mean that they're attention whores?

I love them! When I think of these "super-fans" I don't really draw the line at face paint, I sort of think of them as the ones who are decked out in gear and routinely leading chears etc. Sure, they can be obnoxious, and sometimes inappropriate, but I will forgive them those things a thousand times over.

As a fan who has left NY these are the guys that make me feel like I'm part of a larger community instead of just watching a game with a few fans. Never really been to a bar where someone has face paint, but I feel like the same guys who wear that stuff are the ones who are decked out in their socks, and shoes, and silly hats, etc, etc, etc, at Bills bars across the country. When there isn't someone like that in the room I'd rather just watch the game at home and put my family on speaker phone.

I have a bills plate on my truck. Am I an attention whore.

Someone starts a go fund for a Bills player , are they an attention whore.

We all love are Bills and put are own spin on how we show are love. IMO

Kenny draws no attention to himself in side the stadium.

I have a bills plate on my truck. Am I an attention whore.

Someone starts a go fund for a Bills player , are they an attention whore.

We all love are Bills and put are own spin on how we show are love. IMO

Kenny draws no attention to himself in side the stadium.

Agree. Who cares if someone dresses up as Elvis or wear chefs hats? Don't hate, appreciate.