Super fans - Do you believe in them?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sat directly behind the chefs once a couple of years ago (row 2). Dudes were great!

I will also add that they were badgering the camera guys to come back and get them on TV again. But that didn't surprise or bother me. I've been around celebrities and politicians before... the fame mentality is the same, even at that level.

I'm more annoyed by the fair weather fans and the super pessimistic people.

My cousin has a full costume that he wears. He did it at first just for fun, but then people in the rock pile got worried whenever they didn't see the costume at home games haha. He doesn't really look for attention with it, just has a good time and makes sure others are as well. I think there's a few vines of him running around the rock pile slapping up random fans and security personnel alike during downtime in the game :lol:

This topic reminds me of one of my favorite movie scenes which is from Monty Python's Life of Brian. After a night for understanding carnal knowledge, Brian leaps from bed in the nude and throws back the drapes to let in the sun but finds he also has exposed himself to the gaze of thousands acolytes who have waited all night for some Holy nugget of wisdom from him. The yells up to him unison for the Good Word.

He yells down to them something like you're all individuals to which they recite back in unison

We're all individuals.

Clearly they do not get it so he yells down something like you are all different with different hopes, dreams and ways of expressing your selves.

They yell back in perfect unison, "We are all different with different hopes, dreams and ways of expressing ourselves.

One voice then adds, "I'm not different.

This is relevant because this question strikes me as silly. Why do we insist on giving blanket indictments or blanket approval of the way various individuals choose to display their love, adoration, or whatever for a team that many plunking down season ticket money, braving Dec weather. or following this website. All of these folks are individuals and how they paint their faces, wear the same costume week after week, or other things that some may call them Super fans (and some don't) is actually not the measure of whether these folks are pleasant company or not.

For me, I love Superfans that are nice people and hate Superfans who are jerks.

For me w/o regard to their attire, I find I generally like these fans more in the first half when their holding their booze fairly well but as they get drunk they are more annoying.

I also find them w/o regard to attire (or not) to be better accompaniment when we are winning a tight game and at their worse when we lose a blowout at home and many start looking to entertain themselves.

I like Elvis just because he is such a staple over such a long period of time. Chefs are alright I guess.

Hate that Fireman Bill guy from the Jets, and also that Raiders guy that dresses like Kiss/Road Warriors.

Big Dawg was cool... but lost all cred when he sued EA sports for being on Madden.

Overall, dressing up is pretty lame.

Him I like, and I hate the Raiders, he is committed to that role and I appreciate that in a fan

I like Elvis just because he is such a staple over such a long period of time. Chefs are alright I guess.

Hate that Fireman Bill guy from the Jets, and also that Raiders guy that dresses like Kiss/Road Warriors.

Big Dawg was cool... but lost all cred when he sued EA sports for being on Madden.

Overall, dressing up is pretty lame.

I don't agree with the term "super fan," being used for anyone.

I'd argue that Kenny may be the most dedicated Bills fan out there (and a hell of a nice guy, to boot).

The guys who wear costumes, paint their faces, etc. ... that's how they choose to celebrate the day. I don't think they're attention whores. It's just what they like to do on game days.

Obviously they want attention, but so what? It's not offensive and I, personally, get a kick out of it.

No singular fan represents the entire fan base, in my opinion. Otherwise, Jets fans are in a lot of trouble. Fireboy Eddie is a buffoon. He is, indeed, an attention whore. And I think he makes an ass of himself every time he's on camera.

But I love the Raiders fans who get all decked out. And the Bills fans who do the same, etc. It's part of the atmosphere. Harmless fun and I'm all for it.

When I hear the term "superfan" I unfortunately picture someone who is probably at least slightly unhinged -- and I don't really associate them with sports.

Think Star Trek, Star Wars...or any of the assorted "conventions" that are held around the country.

I have a bills plate on my truck. Am I an attention whore.

Someone starts a go fund for a Bills player , are they an attention whore.

We all love are Bills and put are own spin on how we show are love. IMO

Kenny draws no attention to himself in side the stadium.

The GoFundMe guy was an attention whore, imo, but it was for a good cause. :)

I wear my jersey, hat, zubaz and a cape (Bills flag) to the Backer's Bar in Houston on Sunday. I wore the cape as a joke one week. Then wore it the 2nd week. Didn't wear it the week against the Chargers because the idea got stale. Since we lost though, It's kind of a weird superstition that we have. So I wear it every game now, and waive it around during the Shout song.

I wear my jersey, hat, zubaz and a cape (Bills flag) to the Backer's Bar in Houston on Sunday. I wore the cape as a joke one week. Then wore it the 2nd week. Didn't wear it the week against the Chargers because the idea got stale. Since we lost though, It's kind of a weird superstition that we have. So I wear it every game now, and waive it around during the Shout song.

Let me guess... The Bills went 15-1... And won the Super Bowl last year.

:-P

Let me guess... The Bills went 15-1... And won the Super Bowl last year.

:-P

Fine, I'll let you come down and explain to a bunch of drunk Bills fans that the one thing they think will help win does nothing. To be fair, I've seen multiple near-fist fights over pre-emptive Shout songs on game winning drives.

Whether you're the costumed guy or the person in random attire, I have zero problem with it as long as you're not trying to force it on anyone else or claiming that you're a better fan than them. No matter how often you hear it, there is no such thing as the "best fan(s)". Everyone has their own way and the fanbase as a whole doesn't exist without each type.