Matt Cassel to start Panthers Preseason game 1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to be a party pooper but if this means anything it is that both TT and EJ havent progressed enough and that it is still Cassel his job to loose. Of note is that Cassel has seen the most time in camp with the 1's as well.

That is why this is his last audition. So the reps can be split between EJ and Tyrod after he gets cut.

But that money is not hurting the Bills and a vet backup may be needed.

Why would it be needed? Cassel isn't going to take your team anywhere...

I hate to be a party pooper but if this means anything it is that both TT and EJ havent progressed enough and that it is still Cassel his job to loose. Of note is that Cassel has seen the most time in camp with the 1's as well.

They also had Cassel run a slew of running plays in the scrimmage. I'm not sure they were as interested in evaluating Cassel's passing ability on the field ad they were EJ's and Tyrod's. It's also fair to say that the scrimmage wasn't only about QB evaluation. They have a whole team to evaluate. In terms of the QB's final numbers, I don't think anyone on this board can accurately draw a conclusion. It's impossible for us to know how the coaches were running specific plays, with specifies personnel on the field (not just QBs), and what they were looking at/for on any given play. This scrimmage wasn't a quarterback audition.

Joe Buscaglia ‏@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills HC Rex Ryan: We'll probably start Matt Cassel against the Panthers for the first preseason game

Looks like my prediction of Cassel getting cut sooner then later is coming true.

Amazing what one can read into the choice of starting QB for a pre season game.

Cassel: Glad plan is for him to start Friday
Matt Cassel didn’t get a ton of work Saturday night in the Bills’ blue-white scrimmage. Even head coach Rex Ryan admitted that a lot of run plays were called during Cassel’s time on the field. In the next breath however Ryan indicated that Cassel would probably start in the team’s first preseason game this Friday against Carolina. Cassel liked the sound of that when he got the news.

I don't see them cutting anybody. Whomever the starter is on opening day will be on a very short leash so you may see all three of them starting games at some point this season. In fact, I'm confident that they're going to have a special package for Taylor even if he isn't the starter to take advantage of his running ability. It's going to be QB by committee.

Just cut him now. Locker or about any other scrub would be better.

Ironically we live in Wa. state. My wife met Jake Locker last week. He told her and the people she works with that he left football because he has some religious convictions and the corruption he saw was enough to make him want to leave.

makes some sense since he retired early and without an real major injuries that I can remember...

So Locker is a no go.. Besides Locker is basically EJ Manuel. Lots of arm and has all tools but struggles with accuracy

disagree it means he gets the 1st chanced with the 1's. If you really wanted to challenge Cassel you start him against the 31s in the 3rd preseason game when teams are really letting thier ones get those final game reps in before sitting most of them preseason game #4

someone posted that TT started running after his first look for an open receiver. Which means to me he's not going through a full progression.

not good if you ask me

Poster not correct. TT is pass first. He took off after the Oline got blown up. Made 35 yds where less elusive QB's would have had negative.

Oline getting blown up is what isn't good.

According to the coaches, and some players, Cassell has consistently known where to go with the ball, and goes through his progressions better than the other two. That is not nothing, in fact, it's rather important.

Kelly at the end of the day if Matt ends up being the best option then he is the best option........

At this point I really dont have a favorite......I just want to win

Cassel either wins the starting job or gets cut.

he won't be a backup with his cap hit of $4.7 mil , but only $0.5 ($500,000) of dead money.

they need to figure him out first.

I would tend to agree also. If MC isn't starting, they need to know sooner than later, because either E.J. or T.T. are going to need a BUNCH of reps

before starting the season, and neither is there.

IMO

According to the coaches, and some players, Cassell has consistently known where to go with the ball, and goes through his progressions better than the other two. That is not nothing, in fact, it's rather important.

Combined with the fact that Rex has had bad experiences with getting force-fed inexperienced QBs, there is simply no way they're cutting Cassel. This idea is ludicrous, unless they somehow find another, better vet QB elsewhere.

The question that should be asked is if he is going to the "right" spot with the ball why doesnt he move the team better? He should easily look the best yet thats not what is being reported.

If he is going to the right spot and still doesnt look good then he has, by far, the worst accuracy of the bunch.

The question that should be asked is if he is going to the "right" spot with the ball why doesnt he move the team better? He should easily look the best yet thats not what is being reported.

If he is going to the right spot and still doesnt look good then he has, by far, the worst accuracy of the bunch.

Because they're not really gameplanning.

Kelly at the end of the day if Matt ends up being the best option then he is the best option........

At this point I really dont have a favorite......I just want to win

i also don't have a "favorite". I've personally always pulled for EJ and kept an open mind on his future but will trust the coaches and personnel guys here. I also don't really "dislike" any of them. None of the 3 will be great, just hoping we win, whoever is behind center. Edited by YoloinOhio

Because they're not really gameplanning.

Going thru progressions is great but "not" game planning shouldn't affect accuracy. I'm sure that even though they are not game planning, WR's etc.. were expected to run certain routes and be in certain places. So I jst can not buy that his lack of accuracy has something to do with game planning. EJ and TT had the same situation to work with but actually produced points.

but we'll just have to see how they all look in real action during the next 3 preseason games

Edited by shibuya