Matt Cassel to start Panthers Preseason game 1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that even after the 1st pre-season game Ryan will judge it to be too soon to cut Cassel even if he stinks in that game. he action he likely would take before cutting Cassel is to give his reps with the 1st team to Tyler and Manual.

Cutting him before Manuel and Tyler prove themselves would likely be a total panic move.

In fact, if Cassel is cut the major driver in this move is not that Cassel is not a #1 talent (actually he ain't) it will be because Simms has played well enough to hold down the #3 disaster QB position AND Tyler is solid enough to be #2.

Locker or any other available QB is likely a non-factor at this point with this only happening if some other teams makes a surprising cut (likely because they panic at QB as you seem to want the Bills to do)..

My guess is that even after the 1st pre-season game Ryan will judge it to be too soon to cut Cassel even if he stinks in that game. he action he likely would take before cutting Cassel is to give his reps with the 1st team to Tyler and Manual.

Cutting him before Manuel and Tyler prove themselves would likely be a total panic move.

In fact, if Cassel is cut the major driver in this move is not that Cassel is not a #1 talent (actually he ain't) it will be because Simms has played well enough to hold down the #3 disaster QB position AND Tyler is solid enough to be #2.

Locker or any other available QB is likely a non-factor at this point with this only happening if some other teams makes a surprising cut (likely because they panic at QB as you seem to want the Bills to do)..

I think they keep all 4 on through the 3rd preseason game just in case there is an injury. After the third game is where 1 of them will be cut.

What's with all the hate on Cassel? He mentioned he wanted to play the whole game. This QB has a burning desire to be a starter and was a former pro bowler. Orton never wanted to start for the Bills and did alright by us. EJ and Tyrod are both unproven. Give the guy a preseason game before you continue your corny BS "meh" jokes. If he's not starter material, then he's not starter material, but he hasn't had even a chance in the preseason with the team. Each one of these guys deserves a chance in the preseason against another team.

Simms, remarkably, has PS eligibility left. That makes me believe the Bills will keep two active QBs. The team has HUGE problems as far as the final 53 goes because of guys they want to keep. They WANT to keep 4 TEs. They WANT to keep 6 WR because of Easley (who has looked good as a WR), they want to keep 4 RB. They actually want to keep two Fbs but one is a lot. There is several tough cuts to come, but we will likely keep two QBs. Edited by Kelly the Dog

Simms, remarkably, has PS eligibility left. That makes me believe the Bills will keep two active QBs. The team has HUGE problems as far as the final 53 goes because of guys they want to keep. They WANT to keep 4 TEs. They WANT to keep 6 WR because of Easley (who has looked good as a WR), they want to keep 4 RB. They actually want to keep two Fbs but one is a lot. There is several tough cuts to come, but we will likely keep two QBs.

If they keep only 8 offensive linemen with Richardson doubling as the 4th tackle, it may not be an issue. Probably with Chandler on PS. I took a stab at the 53 and it shook out this way

3 QB

4 HB

1 FB

6 WR

4 TE

8 OL

7 DL (includes Mario)

7 LB (includes Hughes)

5 CB

4 S

4 special teamers

If they keep only 8 offensive linemen with Richardson doubling as the 4th tackle, it may not be an issue. Probably with Chandler on PS. I took a stab at the 53 and it shook out this way

3 QB

4 HB

1 FB

6 WR

4 TE

8 OL

7 DL (includes Mario)

7 LB (includes Hughes)

5 CB

4 S

4 special teamers

That's really close. Who knows. With Leodis injury I don't think that keep 5 cbs and 4 s.

I agree that this is a final audition for Cassel. If it's a dead heat, Roman would rather have a mobile Tyrod or EJ. If Cassel can't take the job in the next two weeks, I think he's cut and they want to do their due diligence.

Cassel either wins the starting job or gets cut.

he won't be a backup with his cap hit of $4.7 mil , but only $0.5 ($500,000) of dead money.

they need to figure him out first.

I've said this in other threads, but I think that even if EJ or Tyrod starts in Sept, Cassel is as close as we have to a lock on the QB roster. IMO the only way Cassel gets cut is if either, a) he throws caution to the wind (excuse the pun), stops being conservative in his play, and seriously, seriously implodes, or b) Tyrod, or EJ suddenly blow up and turns into a serious contender for franchise QB, rendering Cassel's veteran presence obsolete. Neither of those scenarios seem remotely possible at this moment, and neither would even guarantee Cassel's departure. At this point, Ryan/Roman have to believe that they can game plan for Cassel as a known commodity, and rely on his consistently mediocre performance, and veteran ability to run the offense.

And, when it comes to deciding the QB roster, I don't believe that cap space, dead money, salary, or any other financial issue will even be heard in the discussion.

I hate to be a party pooper but if this means anything it is that both TT and EJ havent progressed enough and that it is still Cassel his job to loose. Of note is that Cassel has seen the most time in camp with the 1's as well.