Matt Cassel to start Panthers Preseason game 1

According to the coaches, and some players, Cassell has consistently known where to go with the ball, and goes through his progressions better than the other two. That is not nothing, in fact, it's rather important.

yep, to bad the simpletons around here can't understand this.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can go thru all your progressions all day every day, but if you can't hit the target then what is the point.

SO according to your non simpleton opinion we're better off with an inaccurate QB who can';t move the ball because he goes through his reads the best ?

I'm all for let the best man win, but your opinion was a bit laughable because it simply is not that simple(ton)

You can go thru all your progressions all day every day, but if you can't hit the target then what is the point.

SO according to your non simpleton opinion we're better off with an inaccurate QB who can';t move the ball because he goes through his reads the best ?

I'm all for let the best man win, but your opinion was a bit laughable because it simply is not that simple(ton)

So you prefer a guy who does not go through his progressions or hit his targets. Got it! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what to make of Cassel starting. As I understand why Ryan would prefer him to start vs EJ and Tyrod but from all the camp reports and his performance in the scrimmage it doesn't sound like he's been all that good. Now if it's a start to see if he deserves a roster spot that's interesting because sure he costs a lot in terms of cap room yet if he cut him who are we going to bring in this late into camp that count as much against the cap and be a significant contributor? I say he's at worst our #2 for the season. I know people are Tyrod's served as a #2 in Baltimore but he was doing behind an average starting QB who's been quite durable throughout his NFL career which to me is different than backing up an unproven guy in Manuel. I think Cassel sticks around regardless of his performance against the Panthers.

To me our QB order will be EJ, Cassel, Tyrod. Tyro

Edited by The Jokeman

Hey, that's not nice. I like to think of myself as a complexton!

Do you think this skill more than offsets the mobility and age advantages of EJ and TT? Do you think all 3 QBS are continuing to improve?

like Orton?

They really need to increase the roster size from 53 to like 56. With all the multiple formations and specialty roles, teams need extra roster spots in the modern day nfl.

That's why Kyle Williams is lining up as a TE..... :lol:

So you prefer a guy who does not go through his progressions or hit his targets. Got it! :thumbsup:

:D

Oh well, the 1st pre-season game is just around the corner, and we can all see for ourselves then. I do think that, if they still all look like dogsh*# over the next 4 weeks, Cassel is the most likely of this lot to start against the Colts. If there's nothing worth developing, you might as well go with the experienced vet and re-boot next year.

According to the coaches, and some players, Cassell has consistently known where to go with the ball, and goes through his progressions better than the other two. That is not nothing, in fact, it's rather important.

The bottom line is moving the offense and leading them to points. The rest is meaningless. To this point, none of the three QBs have moved the offense well in practice or scrimmage so they're all equal.

The bottom line is moving the offense and leading them to points. The rest is meaningless. To this point, none of the three QBs have moved the offense well in practice or scrimmage so they're all equal.

ummm didn't one guy have 1 TD pass each day in the last 2 practices?

oh sorry since it was EJ they don't count. my bad

ummm didn't one guy have 1 TD pass each day in the last 2 practices?

oh sorry since it was EJ they don't count. my bad

Yeah. He's doing great... and anyone who says otherwise is a scoundrel. At the post scrimmage press conference Coach Ryan said that none of the three QBs has separated themselves. And I don't think he was saying that they're all doing great. But carry on with your spin.

The beauty of the EJ spin is that it will all play out on the field. Name calling won't really make a difference by mid season or so.

Edited by vincec

My guess is that even after the 1st pre-season game Ryan will judge it to be too soon to cut Cassel even if he stinks in that game. he action he likely would take before cutting Cassel is to give his reps with the 1st team to Tyler and Manual.

Cutting him before Manuel and Tyler prove themselves would likely be a total panic move.

In fact, if Cassel is cut the major driver in this move is not that Cassel is not a #1 talent (actually he ain't) it will be because Simms has played well enough to hold down the #3 disaster QB position AND Tyler is solid enough to be #2.

Locker or any other available QB is likely a non-factor at this point with this only happening if some other teams makes a surprising cut (likely because they panic at QB as you seem to want the Bills to do)..

good post.

They also had Cassel run a slew of running plays in the scrimmage. I'm not sure they were as interested in evaluating Cassel's passing ability on the field ad they were EJ's and Tyrod's. It's also fair to say that the scrimmage wasn't only about QB evaluation. They have a whole team to evaluate. In terms of the QB's final numbers, I don't think anyone on this board can accurately draw a conclusion. It's impossible for us to know how the coaches were running specific plays, with specifies personnel on the field (not just QBs), and what they were looking at/for on any given play. This scrimmage wasn't a quarterback audition.

Thank you!

;)

Thanks !!

The Simpletons

They all suck. I don't think Cassel's "game management" is any better than the others. If it's merely that he is older and more experienced, it's folly to think "oh, we're in better hands with the old guy". He isn't good, and has been "experiencing" crappiness for quite a while now. If the coaches are just going to hand the ball off 75% of the time anyway, Cassel's handoffs aren't particularly special (no, I don;t need a gag about EJM and Browns collision, EJM hands off fine).

I think it's EJM under center this season.

Edited by HoF Watkins

The goal is not to win the goal is to get some live reps against pads. But the blood flowing.

No one is pulling ahead in practice or scrimmage. The people that look at these stats and reach conclusion are desperate for answers.

i know its hard for folks after all these years , but patience would serve us all well

They all suck. I don't think Cassel's "game management" is any better than the others. If it's merely that he is older and more experienced, it's folly to think "oh, we're in better hands with the old guy". He isn't good, and has been "experiencing" crappiness for quite a while now. If the coaches are just going to hand the ball off 75% of the time anyway, Cassel's handoffs aren't particularly special (no, I don;t need a gag about EJM and Browns collision, EJM hands off fine).

I think it's EJM under center this season.

For once in your whole posting career you are exactly correct. well done HoF!! :beer:

Yeah. He's doing great... and anyone who says otherwise is a scoundrel. At the post scrimmage press conference Coach Ryan said that none of the three QBs has separated themselves. And I don't think he was saying that they're all doing great. But carry on with your spin.

The beauty of the EJ spin is that it will all play out on the field. Name calling won't really make a difference by mid season or so.

Anyone who says the QBs looked the same in the scrimmage is confused at best.

And your Coach Ryan "quote"(??) sounds like it was from earlier in the week - that sort of stuff Is why we like to say "Link or it didn't happen" around here.

The second question after the scrimmage Ryan was asked about the QB play:

here's the link to what was ACTUALLY said:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Rex-Ryan-Guys-stood-out-to-me-on-defense/95ee1cc4-0287-4af5-a897-f4f5afd6c169

THE FIRST THING RYAN SAID ABOUT THE QBs WAS "I really thought EJ did a nice job." and "I was impressed by EJ" (roughly 3:20 in)

"Tyrod, I was a little disappointed him...", and he said nothing much about Cassel's play - just that they were running the ball when he was in.

Then when he's asked again about the QB competition he says he "was hoping to see something else pop through there" (I assume more clear separation) at around 7:15 but then he goes back to how pleased he was with EJ.

The goal is not to win the goal is to get some live reps against pads. But the blood flowing.

No one is pulling ahead in practice or scrimmage. The people that look at these stats and reach conclusion are desperate for answers.

i know its hard for folks after all these years , but patience would serve us all well

Rex Ryan has been saying for weeks now that the scrimmage and the first preseason game will have a lot to do with the QB competition.

Edited by BobChalmers

Anyone who says the QBs looked the same in the scrimmage is confused at best.

And your Coach Ryan "quote"(??) sounds like it was from earlier in the week - that sort of stuff Is why we like to say "Link or it didn't happen" around here.

The second question after the scrimmage Ryan was asked about the QB play:

here's the link to what was ACTUALLY said:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Rex-Ryan-Guys-stood-out-to-me-on-defense/95ee1cc4-0287-4af5-a897-f4f5afd6c169

THE FIRST THING RYAN SAID ABOUT THE QBs WAS "I really thought EJ did a nice job." and "I was impressed by EJ" (roughly 3:20 in)

"Tyrod, I was a little disappointed him...", and he said nothing much about Cassel's play - just that they were running the ball when he was in.

Then when he's asked again about the QB competition he says he "was hoping to see something else pop through there" (I assume more clear separation) at around 7:15 but then he goes back to how pleased he was with EJ.

Rex Ryan has been saying for weeks now that the scrimmage and the first preseason game will have a lot to do with the QB competition.

Watching and listening to Ryan is much more fun than reading tweets from the media.

Even better is to get reports from our friends in attendance!

Ryan surely has his own agenda and completion rates is probably not at the top of the list.

he did make a statement about Brown though. Geez that kid better tighten up..

For future reference, when insulting fellow posters' intelligence for possessing opinions that differ from your own, please try to spell the word "too" correctly.

Sincerely,

The Grammar Police