Cecil the Lion

May Day 10

They're saying too that the new head of the pride (I forget his name) is going to kill all of Cecil's cubs, anyone hear more about this (outside of the Lion King of course)?

Really !@#$ed up story.

yup. that is apparently true... And quite possible the Cubs' mother will die too trying to defend them.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're saying too that the new head of the pride (I forget his name) is going to kill all of Cecil's cubs, anyone hear more about this (outside of the Lion King of course)?

Really !@#$ed up story.

Typical lion behavior. The alpha male wants his own progeny populating the pack, not someone else's.

He's a professional killer; not hunter.

"Professional hunter" is the job he has, and the license he holds. He is, in fact, a decidedly unprofessional hunter. And an unprofessional killer, for that matter.

yup. that is apparently true... And quite possible the Cubs' mother will die too trying to defend them.

Typical lion behavior. The alpha male wants his own progeny populating the pack, not someone else's.

Any chance they can move the cubs before that happens or is it better to let nature play out?

the obvious trouble he has caused himself are bad enough, but the collateral damage is also going to be pretty intense...he has 2 kids, talk about instant pariah's...his office staff will probably be out of work if they aren't already....he really stepped in it....what an ass

Any chance they can move the cubs before that happens or is it better to let nature play out?

I read that no group has the resources/$, there is a lot of red tape, and nowhere to put/raise them.

Plus its possible the 'deed' has been done.

I read that no group has the resources/$, there is a lot of red tape, and nowhere to put/raise them.

Plus its possible the 'deed' has been done.

And as it means interfering with the ecology of a natural park, they may be hesitant to do so anyway.

I can't read any more about this story due to the comments of "so you think your dinner just showed up magically on your plate?"

I support anyone who hunts for food. I despise any hunter who poses with his "kill." What are you proud of? You sat still long enough for some animal to unwittingly walk into your crosshairs? It's the same hate I have for people who post picture of their food at restaurants. The only one who should be proud of that is the chef.

I understand the steak I ate last night came from a (delicious) cow. I also understand that cow was raised for meat and wasn't killed for a photo opp and its head to be hung up in your cabin.

I can't read any more about this story due to the comments of "so you think your dinner just showed up magically on your plate?"

I support anyone who hunts for food. I despise any hunter who poses with his "kill." What are you proud of? You sat still long enough for some animal to unwittingly walk into your crosshairs? It's the same hate I have for people who post picture of their food at restaurants. The only one who should be proud of that is the chef.

I understand the steak I ate last night came from a (delicious) cow. I also understand that cow was raised for meat and wasn't killed for a photo opp and its head to be hung up in your cabin.

Hunting big game is dangerous. Really. It takes no small amount of skill or courage to hunt lion (properly, not like this bozo did, which was just poaching). Even with a gun - big game, and African big game in particular, are surprising resilient.

People think the wilderness is like a Disney program. It's not. Animals will kill you.

Side note: lots of wild game has GPS trackers. And it's not unusual for them to get taken. And the researchers don't actually mind; they consider it useful data, as it still gives them information on hunting pressure on the population.

Who gives two Sh*ts about a lion. There are more important things to be concerned about.

The stupid autocorrect doesn't underline mistakes, but "corrects" them.

i remember a guy outside our normal group that joined us for a fishing trip (yes, if we are going to kill fish, then we are going to eat them). bragged all weekend about his big game trophies and trips. i remember him killing a snake that was trying to get out of our way while we were wading, just for "fun". big grin as he bashed its head in with a rock and laughed that now it was a flat head. i could see him killing cecil with no qualms. unfortunately, there are plenty of other guys like him. there are groups in my area that hunt bear in jeeps with spotlights at night. i've heard the gory details and the storyteller shocked when asked "what makes you want to do that?" i wonder if they torture their dogs and cats at home for fun. my theory is that these are frustrated, miserable, angry people, in general. i knew of this guy's backround and he didn't seem to have any call to be so . on second thought, maybe he is just a mean, brutal, pri2k.. but i certainly share your intense dislike of these people.

Who gives two Sh*ts about a lion. There are more important things to be concerned about.

As was said upthread (paraphrasing)...we have the ability to be concerned about multiple things all at one time. We even have the ability to compartmentalize and only be concerned about certain things when we see a story like this.

Hunting big game is dangerous. Really. It takes no small amount of skill or courage to hunt lion (properly, not like this bozo did, which was just poaching). Even with a gun - big game, and African big game in particular, are surprising resilient.

People think the wilderness is like a Disney program. It's not. Animals will kill you.

I'm not disagreeing with you, because I'm not a hunter .... but how many gun-toting hunters have been killed by animals?

Mind you ... I am not anti-hunting (for food) by any means. My question is a serious one.

This big money game hunting and poaching/species conservation is an actual issue though.

It isn't kardashians, is the dress Blue, Confederate Flag nonsense, Trump, Deflategate, Comic Con, etc.

I mean we can get high and mighty, but if you cut down to it, we all should be building shelter for the homeless and not commenting on a message board.

the obvious trouble he has caused himself are bad enough, but the collateral damage is also going to be pretty intense...he has 2 kids, talk about instant pariah's...his office staff will probably be out of work if they aren't already....he really stepped in it....what an ass

Yep. Grenade in an enclosed space.

It especially sucks for the kids and the innocent dental hygienist and admin assistants. Wife isn't' that innocent. A douchebag this huge gives off enough warning signs.