Cecil the Lion

May Day 10

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's scavenging.

And the lions probably stole it from hyenas or wild dogs.

Could be, I guess my point was you need a fully inflated pair of balls to attempt this. I see no guns with those three guys. How the lions made the kill would be irrelevant. it is more a statement for a trophy hunting dentist who would IMO not qualify for scavenging for a meal in this manner. But that is just a wild guess. Full dislcosure i would settle for eating bugs before attempting that.

Just heard FWIW said dentist has advised his patients to seek out another dentist. Guess he may lay low for awhile.

Could be, I guess my point was you need a fully inflated pair of balls to attempt this. I see no guns with those three guys. How the lions made the kill would be irrelevant. it is more a statement for a trophy hunting dentist who would IMO not qualify for scavenging for a meal in this manner. But that is just a wild guess. Full dislcosure i would settle for eating bugs before attempting that.

Just heard FWIW said dentist has advised his patients to seek out another dentist. Guess he may lay low for awhile.

Yeah, they look like Masai. Masai are fairly well known for taunting lions off their kill. By our standards, they're !@#$ing nuts. Conversely, lions are fairly well known for dining on the occasional Masai.

A friend of mine knows a guy who's into big game hunting who justifies it by saying that the only thing keeping half these animals from going extinct is guys like him dropping large sums of money to "hunt" which incentivises the locals to protect the populations.

I haven't studied the issue so I can't definitively say whether he's right, but it makes sense.

A friend of mine knows a guy who's into big game hunting who justifies it by saying that the only thing keeping half these animals from going extinct is guys like him dropping large sums of money to "hunt" which incentivises the locals to protect the populations.

I haven't studied the issue so I can't definitively say whether he's right, but it makes sense.

It definitely contributes. Probably the biggest effect it has is on land use: land that supports hunting concessions would otherwise be turned over to farming, resulting in habitat reduction and increased local population pressure on threatened species (elephants get that now - elephant populations are down 50% or more since the ivory ban, but culls are still necessary since there's just too many elephants for the available habitat.) It also disincentivizes poaching, since it provides local employment and generates an alternate revenue stream off the game (I don't know about lions, but revenue from a single elephant hunt - even if unsuccessful - would run around $40k. Poached ivory nets about $2k locally. A single elephant license is worth 20 poached elephants.) Properly managed and regulated hunting helps maintain animal populations that would otherwise die out, and is a valuable tool (though not the only one) in ecological management.

The poaching this bozo did is, of course, not.