Cecil the Lion

May Day 10

Who am I kidding. People like that never look beyond the first step anyway. I'm sure they'll never even consider the possibility that they did more harm than good.

word

Its an interesting and complex issue for sure. Not everybody has a DC Tom to explain things.

While I still don't/can't understand what compels people to want to kill/display these animals... it seems to be a necessary evil to give locals an economic interest in staving off poaching. A real evil seems to be the Chinese and their antiquated 'medical' needs.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard major airlines are now refusing to transport trophy kills so as not to contribute to big game hunting. Chalk up another win for neo-fascism and a loss for endangered animals.

I wonder if those pushing to end big game hunting will regret their movement if they're successful at eliminating big game hunting, thus eliminating the financial incentive to maintain the habitats and populations of these animals, and ultimately bringing about the extinction of more speci.

Who am I kidding. People like that never look beyond the first step anyway. I'm sure they'll never even consider the possibility that they did more harm than good.

Exactly! Welcome to the land of good intentions and unintended consequences. Isn't that how it always is by the moral do-gooders? Nothing is changing but the venues.

I heard major airlines are now refusing to transport trophy kills so as not to contribute to big game hunting. Chalk up another win for neo-fascism and a loss for endangered animals.

I wonder if those pushing to end big game hunting will regret their movement if they're successful at eliminating big game hunting, thus eliminating the financial incentive to maintain the habitats and populations of these animals, and ultimately bringing about the extinction of more speci.

A lot of the international lines to Africa have been refusing for a while. It's just that Delta (I think) just joined them. It's not like it's all that difficult to transport a legal trophy out of Africa other ways.

And the habitat destruction affects more than just the game animals. Close an elephant concession, and that becomes land of no economic use. The next-best economic use is usually farming. Turning savannah or forest into crop land wreaks all sorts of havoc on biomes, disrupts predator-prey relationships, and generally reduces genetic diversity severely.

While I still don't/can't understand what compels people to want to kill/display these animals...

Because hunting - particularly hunting African game, but also large North American game (like grizzlies or elk) - takes a hell of a lot of skill, and is actually fairly dangerous. And guns aren't the magic equalizer everyone thinks they are - a 300-grain .375 magnum round packs a hell of a punch, sure, but it's still half an ounce of lead against a very big and fast animal.

• 2 months later...

Because hunting - particularly hunting African game, but also large North American game (like grizzlies or elk) - takes a hell of a lot of skill, and is actually fairly dangerous. And guns aren't the magic equalizer everyone thinks they are - a 300-grain .375 magnum round packs a hell of a punch, sure, but it's still half an ounce of lead against a very big and fast animal.

Yeah right, in the bizzare mind of wackos who get their rocks off slaughtering nature they fantasize they're some kind of hero. Reality other than shooting their ownselves theres almost no element of risk. If they want real risk and some kind of hero, instead of slaughtering animals why don't they take on each other ? Edited by JTSP

Yeah right, in the bizzare mind of wackos who get their rocks off slaughtering nature they fantasize they're some kind of hero. Reality other than shooting their ownselves theres almost no element of risk. If they want real risk and some kind of hero, instead of slaughtering animals why don't they take on each other ?

You're a !@#$ing retard.

(Note to mods: that's not a personal attack either. It's an empirical observation.)