Tired of Deflategate

Then just deny it. That would be awesome.

deny what? No you can't see my phone. I know an intern. I don't know what you're talking about. Look, I'm not saying it was aliens. But it was aliens. Everyone else had an intact jaw. Maybe there were other factors? Where did I park my car?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Bob Costas asked if you were sexually attracted to underage boys, how many words would you need to put forth a compelling argument answering in the negative? This assumes you are not a pedophile, of course.

I'm guessing 3 words: "No, absolutely NOT!" might work for most. Others might need only one word: "NO!"

Jerry Sandusky needed 30 words to answer that question, and some of them included: "I enjoy young people."

This news that NE intends to use 4 hours and more for their defense is positively hilarious.

If Bob Costas asked if you were sexually attracted to underage boys, how many words would you need to put forth a compelling argument answering in the negative? This assumes you are not a pedophile, of course.

I'm guessing 3 words: "No, absolutely NOT!" might work for most. Others might need only one word: "NO!"

Jerry Sandusky needed 30 words to answer that question, and some of them included: "I enjoy young people."

This news that NE intends to use 4 hours and more for their defense is positively hilarious.

Pretty typical of the NFL if you ask me. They are good at making 12 minutes last several hours.

This strikes me as the best piece on this whole issue yet. http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/06/22/tom-brady-roger-goodell-nfl-deflategate-appeal?page=4&devicetype=default

McCann's prediction of the ultimate outcome strikes me as sensible. I can see it ending up there. If I had to guess, I think the league wants to avoid a discovery process that delves into its initial false reports of "significant" deflation.

Edited by dave mcbride

This strikes me as the best piece on this whole issue yet. http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/06/22/tom-brady-roger-goodell-nfl-deflategate-appeal?page=4&devicetype=default

McCann's prediction of the ultimate outcome strikes me as sensible. I can see it ending up there. If I had to guess, I think the league wants to avoid a discovery process that delves into its initial false reports of "significant" deflation.

and for the quickest summary -- the prediction is 1 game. Which he gives a lot of backing to

It would be an extraordinarily Billsy outcome: Brady being able to come back juuuuust in time to play us.

And Brady wants to avoid a discovery process that unearths damaging text messages.

Why doesn't that article address the fact that they deliberately tampered with the balls after the pre-game inspection took place?

That initial false report was from one guy, Mort, who has a history of being wrong at times about his scoops. To me, there is no way that can genuinely come back to haunt the NFL as if it were a deliberate targeted attempt by the league to discredit the Patriots** and Brady*. That report should have been taken as exactly what it was, one of many leaks about the case, from both sides.

And Brady wants to avoid a discovery process that unearths damaging text messages.

Why doesn't that article address the fact that they deliberately tampered with the balls after the pre-game inspection took place?

They are pointing out what his defense they will try to use. Not really focusing on... you know... facts.

When it gets right down to it, the only time you are absolutely proven guilty of anything in the NFL is when you cop to it. I bet if the Saints did what Brady** and the Pats** are doing nothing would have happened. In fact I'd like to see Dareus suit up and play against the Colts and see what the NFL does. If Goodell caves, then any player who is suspended for anything should just ignore the suspension and suit up.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

That initial false report was from one guy, Mort, who has a history of being wrong at times about his scoops. To me, there is no way that can genuinely come back to haunt the NFL as if it were a deliberate targeted attempt by the league to discredit the Patriots** and Brady*. That report should have been taken as exactly what it was, one of many leaks about the case, from both sides.

All it takes is one item like this to discredit the league in a court of law. If the league in fact leaked false information to the most prominent NFL reporter for the nation's most prominent sports news source -- and it certainly appears that they did -- that ain't going to look good. if you want to dismiss that, well, I don't know what to say.

McCann's larger point about both sides facing serious risks if this escalates strikes me as inarguable.

Edited by dave mcbride

All it takes is one, Dog, to discredit the league in a court of law. If they in fact leaked false information to the most prominent NFL reporter for the nation's most prominent sports news source, that ain't going to look good. if you want to dismiss that, well, I don't know what to say.

McCann's larger point about both sides facing serious risks if this escalates strikes me as inarguable.

Except this isn't a court of law.

Except this isn't a court of law.

Did you read the article? If not, you should. I'm talking about a court of law. I'm talking specifically about escalation, which could well happen if the league doesn't lessen or vacate the penalty.

Edited by dave mcbride

So it comes down to "atmospheric conditions" vs. human involvement.

Let's take it to court, subpoena Brady's phone records, and the two former employees and let the chips fall where they may based on that outcome.

GO BILLS!!!

So it comes down to "atmospheric conditions" vs. human involvement.

Let's take it to court, subpoena Brady's phone records, and the two former employees and let the chips fall where they may based on that outcome.

GO BILLS!!!

There are two sides to the discovery process, you know. Part of that discovery process will involve the NFL's communications with Wells.

All it takes is one item like this to discredit the league in a court of law. If they in fact leaked false information to the most prominent NFL reporter for the nation's most prominent sports news source, that ain't going to look good. if you want to dismiss that, well, I don't know what to say.

He's discounting the fact that there is zero chance Brady takes this to court outside of a procedural case and I think the Nfl is on pretty solid ground in that area. So do a lot of legal experts that have chimed in.

It's an excellent article as far as laying out the legal avenues and how it would work. It discounts a lot of the real world elements.

Furthermore if Brady was innocent nothing the nfl could have possibly leaked would change his response or tactic whatsoever

They are pointing out what his defense they will try to use. Not really focusing on... you know... facts.

Right, but that article still uses facts to explain why these defense tactics would be justified. Trying to claim that it was all Mother Nature's fault doesn't seem like a good defense for Brady. Maybe the author shouldn't have included that possibility.