Tired of Deflategate

So the NFL spends $5 million for a report the findings of which it may not be able to enforce? Wow that goodell is bumbler.

NFL RUMORS: New England Patriots QB Tom Brady Could Be Back For Week One Thanks To An Injunction?

"I think Roger Goodell is in a very difficult spot here going forward," Schefter said. "I know that the league has taken a stand on all these cases and we've seen him weigh his [power] in all these cases, but I think this is a case somehow, someway, they've invested a lot in terms of the Wells Report. It cost the NFL upwards of $5 million for the Wells Report and we've seen the American Enterprise Institute and Science Times blow holes in it."

http://www.hngn.com/articles/103424/20150623/nfl-rumors-new-england-patriots-qb-tom-brady-could-be-back-for-week-one-thanks-to-an-injunction.htm

"He doesn't believe he did anything wrong. I believe that this is on path to go to the courts. If it goes to the courts, they are questioning the process, not what he did, but the process by which this was done and I think at that point in time he has a chance to have this completely lifted, not serve any games. And if that is the case, why would he not attempt to at least do that?"

an interesting line lifted from it that i know many here will be quite upset by

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an interesting line lifted from it that i know many here will be quite upset by

Doesn't upset me one bit, and I doubt it will upset anyone else here. The first line totally negates that possibility, "He doesn't believe he did anything wrong," and is completely false. ;)

So the NFL spends $5 million for a report the findings of which it may not be able to enforce? Wow that goodell is bumbler.

NFL RUMORS: New England Patriots QB Tom Brady Could Be Back For Week One Thanks To An Injunction?

"I think Roger Goodell is in a very difficult spot here going forward," Schefter said. "I know that the league has taken a stand on all these cases and we've seen him weigh his [power] in all these cases, but I think this is a case somehow, someway, they've invested a lot in terms of the Wells Report. It cost the NFL upwards of $5 million for the Wells Report and we've seen the American Enterprise Institute and Science Times blow holes in it."

http://www.hngn.com/articles/103424/20150623/nfl-rumors-new-england-patriots-qb-tom-brady-could-be-back-for-week-one-thanks-to-an-injunction.htm

Another report that misses the forest for the trees.

GO BILLS!!!

Again, the NFL rules are quite clear: he needs to fully cooperate with the investigation, or he is subject to discipline. He didn't do so, by his own admission. He did not surrender his electronic correspondence, despite being told that he and his lawyer had full discretion over what they submitted.

This is not up for debate. He's subject to discipline, so dropping it to zero seems totally out of the question.

Again, the NFL rules are quite clear: he needs to fully cooperate with the investigation, or he is subject to discipline. He didn't do so, by his own admission. He did not surrender his electronic correspondence, despite being told that he and his lawyer had full discretion over what they submitted.

This is not up for debate. He's subject to discipline, so dropping it to zero seems totally out of the question.

I agree, however, his lawyers are probably doing their best to call it a sting operation where the NFL was planning on doing something without the Pats** knowledge in cahoots with the Colts.

Yea that article was brutal. Sounds like something Schopp would write.

Edited by The Wiz

I agree, however, his lawyers are probably doing their best to call it a sting operation where the NFL was planning on doing something without the Pats** knowledge in cahoots with the Colts.

Of course. They are just doing their jobs. They will be making all kinds of claims and accusations and threats. None of it really matters. My only hope is that the NFL doesn't cave and just calls their bluff. I'm pretty sure that Wells has convinced them he did it with 99.99% certainty.

Of course. They are just doing their jobs. They will be making all kinds of claims and accusations and threats. None of it really matters. My only hope is that the NFL doesn't cave and just calls their bluff. I'm pretty sure that Wells has convinced them he did it with 99.99% certainty.

I agree. I don't think Goodell will back down from this though after how much he has taken from the Rice, AP, bountygate and even Spygate. I think he's going to stick to his guns and let the chips fall. After he accused himself in bountygate I get the feeling he doesn't want someone else to make the hard choice (in his position anyways).

What puzzles me is the amount they paid for it. $5 million is a ton of money. I'd want to see a breakdown of how it was spent.

NFL made 6 billion in revenue last year. Less than 1/100th of a percent(0.0083) that the league made last year. I think they can afford it.

What puzzles me is the amount they paid for it. $5 million is a ton of money. I'd want to see a breakdown of how it was spent.

What's puzzling about it? And independent research facility (Exponent), another independent researcher to verify their findings (Dr Marlow), thousands of man-hours and thousands of pages of supporting research to the report. It's not surprising it cost that much.

Would people, especially those on Brady's side, have been happier if the league spent less to be as thorough as possible?

It's the cost doing business in the effort to do things right. Anything less would have been derelict.

I wonder how much Brady paid for the AEI and Science News research and reports? I'll go out on a limb and predict it wasn't anywhere close to the $5m paid by the league in their efforts. Then again, I also doubt they are as committed to finding all the facts.

GO BILLS!!!

Wells is a high priced lawyer, and he literally charged by the hour, over several months of working most every day. he alone cost millions.

This is another pretty good summation of the whole story from Dan Shaughnessy of the Globe.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/06/23/stakes-new-york-are-nothing-less-than-tom-brady-reputation/uZ68w4pCzhsv4SGHRDWa8I/story.html

I agree. I don't think Goodell will back down from this though after how much he has taken from the Rice, AP, bountygate and even Spygate. I think he's going to stick to his guns and let the chips fall. After he accused himself in bountygate I get the feeling he doesn't want someone else to make the hard choice (in his position anyways).

Yep. It's tough to know about Goodell. He's pretty erratic. But I think he sticks to his guns and the suspension stands at four. Won't be surprised if it is cut to two, but if I had to guess or bet I think it stays. Brady and his team say they will go to Federal Court and then soon will cave just like Kraft did, with some laughable lie about doing it for the good of the league even though we didn't do anything wrong.

Yep. It's tough to know about Goodell. He's pretty erratic. But I think he sticks to his guns and the suspension stands at four. Won't be surprised if it is cut to two, but if I had to guess or bet I think it stays. Brady and his team say they will go to Federal Court and then soon will cave just like Kraft did, with some laughable lie about doing it for the good of the league even though we didn't do anything wrong.

Cossack's take is good here, I think: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4782428/what-happens-if-tom-brady-doesnt-get-appeal-result-he-desires. One of things I've occasionally mentioned is the one-sidedness of the management/player relationship in the NFL compared to other sports. The players really have very little power. The NFL is just different from, say, MLB.

Edited by dave mcbride

Right, the good of the league = "Patriots keep winning and you keep making money!"