Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

Does Meh make your heart aflutter? lol

Even if Cassel is the opening day starter, he's just a pubic hair away from the clipboard. Whoever wins the Taylor/Manuel competition will be starting by the quarter pole if Meh falters or gets injured.

Haha. I feel bad. I got nothing against Cassel as a dude. I'm just sick of doing the same losing thing over and over again. Holcomb, Fitz(who I did like a lot), Orton. But his 4th team will be the charm this time!!

If anything, you start the young guy and switch to Cassel if they struggle. Hey EJ and Tyrod, step your game up so I don't have a breakdown after Cassel does Cassel things and makes me loss my mind!

it has nothing to do with anything as detailed as the way they play with the comparison. It's more about the career course.

I don't think they will cut him. They will either trade him for a draft pick or keep him as a backup until his contract runs out.

I figured. Gabbert is a big insult haha. Hopefully, EJ and Taylor didn't give up on the competition after 4 days like the board and media has.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admire your love of passed around journeymen Qbs. You're like the guy who thinks he can change the girl who slept with the entire town. After the 5th time she cheats on you, maybe you should realize she is what she is.

I'm the guy who wants the best players playng.

Must we go through this again?

It was a rhetorical question - if each of the three QBs sputter, there is going to be only one issue facing this time. Where is the QB coming from? I think Whaley finally got hit on the head this off season to remind him that the QB position is important, and the team certainly tried to land decent players, unlike years past. It's clear they're not done.

But let's not fool ourselves and pretend that they did everything they could have done to try to improve the position prior to this year.

You can't accuse someone of not trying to improve a position when there were no improved options available. You can offer an opinion that QB X is better but it's still just an opinion. Drafting QBs and giving them one OTA to win the job is not a strategy.

I'll be honest: If Cassel wins the starting job my interest this season will be heavily divided to looking at what QB we might draft in round 1, and which FA or tradeable QBs we might be able to get.

Even if he outperforms expectations, he's never been more than average. And he's on a one year deal, so I honestly don't expect to see him back.

I admire your love of passed around journeymen Qbs. You're like the guy who thinks he can change the girl who slept with the entire town. After the 5th time she cheats on you, maybe you should realize she is what she is.

Ouch!

I'll be honest: If Cassel wins the starting job my interest this season will be heavily divided to looking at what QB we might draft in round 1, and which FA or tradeable QBs we might be able to get.

Even if he outperforms expectations, he's never been more than average. And he's on a one year deal, so I honestly don't expect to see him back.

i think if he wins the staying job and does ok (or even if he's the backup), they will extend him at some point before the end of the season. They will want a vet QB in place because they will be drafting a QB in the 1st, and he will already know the offense. It will be cheaper to extend him than wait until FA, because QBs are crazy $$ on the open market regardless of how good they are, every team wants a halfway decent vet on the roster. They won't want to be competing with other teams at that point. An extension also helps to mitigate the cap hit.

They mentioned wanting to do an extension a few months ago. They don't view him as their franchise QB obviously but they know the value of having a vet QB in place. They won't repeat the situation they had with EJ as a rookie in not having that (though they tried). With the next QB they draft, they know they have to get it right. Technically, the guy they take in 2016 will be Whaley's guy. EJ is technically Nix's guy. Whaley had a lot of input but was not the GM. Across the league that's the point of view.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I can't shake that feeling that Cassel would rather be backing up Brady than be here. I can't shake that even in his best years in KC, he was a guy just screamed average and no one to fear.

I will fully support any Bill (except Orton, not a fan). But man, it seems to put a cap on our season.

Someone step up and win the job convincingly!

i think if he wins the staying job and does ok (or even if he's the backup), they will extend him at some point before the end of the season. They will want a vet QB in place because they will be drafting a QB in the 1st, and he will already know the offense. It will be cheaper to extend him than wait until FA, because QBs are crazy $$ on the open market regardless of how good they are, every team wants a halfway decent vet on the roster. They won't want to be competing with other teams at that point. An extension also helps to mitigate the cap hit.

They mentioned wanting to do an extension a few months ago.

I love the avatar pic!

I love your self imposed punishment and think that we should share the pic and anytime someone has a freak out they would put this as their avatar for 24 hours

CBF

They mentioned wanting to do an extension a few months ago.

If you didn't think it couldn't much lower than the Jauron midseason extension, meet the Matt Cassel extension!

Remember the talk of the Orton extension? I struggle to see any team spending big bucks to bring Cassel to start for his 5th team. IF Cassel starts and plays serviceable, please be patient.

Headed to camp today for the first time this summer without my camera or my kid. Looking forward to sitting and actually paying attention. Will report back what I can, but there are far better X's and O's guys on here more qualified to break things down.

Trust me, anything you report will be at least as viable as what we get from the local "reporters" -- looking forward to it.

I can't shake that feeling that Cassel would rather be backing up Brady than be here. I can't shake that even in his best years in KC, he was a guy just screamed average and no one to fear.

I will fully support any Bill (except Orton, not a fan). But man, it seems to put a cap on our season.

Someone step up and win the job convincingly!

of course he is average. No one expected anything more. At least I didn't. None of these guys are good QBs right now. Everyone on earth knows that. We are trying to win games anyway. Whoever can run the offense and not turn over the ball multiple times a game (Rex is likely scarred by Geno) is what we have to think will start. The expectations couldn't be lower.

If you didn't think it couldn't much lower than the Jauron midseason extension, meet the Matt Cassel extension!

Remember the talk of the Orton extension? I struggle to see any team spending big bucks to bring Cassel to start for his 5th team. IF Cassel starts and plays serviceable, please be patient.

the extension will be to save cap space now and save money next year so we don't have to get in a bidding war for crap like josh McCown, and ensure a vet QB is on the roster who knows the offense next year. Not to throw a huge contract at him and pretend he's the future.

The extensions you mention are different than what it would be for Cassel. And the Bills to my knowledge never discussed extending Orton.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Haha. I feel bad. I got nothing against Cassel as a dude. I'm just sick of doing the same losing thing over and over again. Holcomb, Fitz(who I did like a lot), Orton. But his 4th team will be the charm this time!!

If anything, you start the young guy and switch to Cassel if they struggle. Hey EJ and Tyrod, step your game up so I don't have a breakdown after Cassel does Cassel things and makes me loss my mind!

It still could be a young guy starting, but I understand the reasoning if they choose Cassel to start the season. The pressure of starting knowing you're just a bad pick or two from being yanked is brutal for a youngster. EJ melted under that heat last year. A veteran will be able to handle it better knowing if he gets benched he still has value as a mentor backup who could be called upon again.

of course he is average. No one expected anything more. At least I didn't. None of these guys are good QBs right now. Everyone on earth knows that. We are trying to win games anyway. Whoever can run the offense and not turn over the ball multiple times a game (Rex is likely scarred by Geno) is what we have to think will start. The expectations couldn't be lower.

And my point is based on the last four years, Cassel is a lot closer to Geno and Sanchez in turnovers than anyone is saying.

I want Cassel on the team. You know what you have. Personally, I think he is worse than Fitz and might be slightly worse than Orton (and I hate Orton). So I don't really see the difference between him and the young Qbs.

Dare to be great. I need to step away and let this play out. Too fired up now haha!

Again, with all the fear going on here, Cassel only needs to be about as good as Alex Smith. He won't be as mobile, but even then Smith was rarely asked to be.

Still need to see preseason action before judging the guys fully. Like that EJ is improving.

8-5: DOUG WHALEY AT CAMP ON WGR (16:30)

@WGR550

Whaley says the play of Ron Darby and John Miller at camp has impressed him

Whaley says it is "hard to tell right now" how long Leodis McKelvin will be out

Whaley on Cyrus Kouandjio: He's taken that step. A lot of guys take a major step from year 1 to year 2"

Whaley on QB competition: "There's been some good things, there's been some things we have to improve on"

Whaley: "Naturally, the defense is going to be ahead of the offense and this defense is incredible. I'm going reserve judgement"

Whaley: "The preseason games are going to be a great evaluator (of the QBs). I do see progress every day"

Whaley: "We are almost in quarterback purgatory. We're good enough that we won't be picking 1st or 2nd overall"

Whaley on EJ: "He's farther along this year than he was last year.... we want to see a step. Will it be the ultimate step? That's up to him"

Whaley says Dareus and the Bills have exchanged proposals but a deal this large takes some time